How to sync Samsung Gallery with Google Photos

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello,

I use Google Photos app on my Note 10+ as my default photo app. I have an issue when I want to update a contacts photo. By default, Samsung's Gallery app is the app that shows up when I want to select a new pic within the contacts app.

My Samsung Gallery app doesn't have all the photos that Google Photos app has. I don't mind using the Samsung Gallery app to select a contact photo IF it has the same photos and albums as Google Photos has.

How can I get both apps to sync?

Thanks,
Nate
Have you found the solution ?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Also OP: if you go to Google photos and tap on a picture then tap 3 dots upper right corner then scroll "set as" it will pop up with options and contacts is one of them .

DrNitun

Sep 12, 2017
Visit site
Hello,

Thank you for your advice. I know I can use Google Photos app to set contact profile pics. I simply wish Samsung Gallery app would sync with the Google Photos app.

BTW, I do have Samsung Cloud activated. Is there a way to have Google Photos app sync with Samsung Cloud?? That could be a workaround solution.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello,

Thank you for your advice. I know I can use Google Photos app to set contact profile pics. I simply wish Samsung Gallery app would sync with the Google Photos app.

BTW, I do have Samsung Cloud activated. Is there a way to have Google Photos app sync with Samsung Cloud?? That could be a workaround solution.
Yes, have your Samsung cloud on , and make sure same account for both Google photos and Samsung cloud , when you go into Google photos make sure back up is cheked on and whenever you snap picture and are in gallery they will load to your Google photos.

You can take a quick photos see if it's in both the Google photos and gallery once you you set up syn.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

Yes. You can sync Samsung Cloud and Google Photos at the same time, but they will not sync between each other.

You will be sycning to two DIFFERENT cloud services simultaneously. Your photos will be backed up to BOTH locations. If you delete a photo from Google Photos it will still be in Samsung Cloud, likewise if you delete from Samsung Cloud it will still be in Google Photos. Deleting from either or both will NOT delete if off of your phone. If you delete it off of your phone it will still be in those two locations.

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I'm trying to follow along here y'all confusing me LOL

only way I know is to download pic from Google photos to device. If you want to see that in your stock gallery.

So if I want to share a pic on this forum It goes to stock gallery where I'm unable to select google photo not taken with my Note

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm trying to follow along here y'all confusing me LOL

only way I know is to download pic from Google photos to device. If you want to see that in your stock gallery.

So if I want to share a pic on this forum It goes to stock gallery where I'm unable to select google photo not taken with my Note
Yes that is correct. If you upload a picture to Google Photos from another device (like a tablet or laptop) that picture will not automatically download to your phone. You have to download the picture to your phone for it to show up in Gallery.

Gallery does not display pictures or videos that are in other cloud storage systems. It is primarily for accessing pictures and videos stored locally on your phone.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Yes. You can sync Samsung Cloud and Google Photos at the same time, but they will not sync between each other.

You will be sycning to two DIFFERENT cloud services simultaneously. Your photos will be backed up to BOTH locations. If you delete a photo from Google Photos it will still be in Samsung Cloud, likewise if you delete from Samsung Cloud it will still be in Google Photos. Deleting from either or both will NOT delete if off of your phone. If you delete it off of your phone it will still be in those two locations.

If you delete from Google Photos it WILL delete from the Gallery.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Um...That depends. If you delete the cloud copy, it won't delete the local copy.

You can have Google Photos display local only.
No I can delete the cloud backup and it will delete from my local Gallery. Which is what I want it to do to keep things clean. Even photos I've taken on my iPhone I can delete them from Google Photos on my Note and it'll delete from my iPhone.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
No I can delete the cloud backup and it will delete from my local Gallery. Which is what I want it to do to keep things clean. Even photos I've taken on my iPhone I can delete them from Google Photos on my Note and it'll delete from my iPhone.
Then you deleted the local copy. I've deleted the cloud backups in Google Photos on SEVERAL occasions and it NEVER deleted my local copy.

The problem is the Google Photos app doesn't tell you which is local and which is not.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Then you deleted the local copy. I've deleted the cloud backups in Google Photos on SEVERAL occasions and it NEVER deleted my local copy.

The problem is the Google Photos app doesn't tell you which is local and which is not.
What do you mean by local copy. If I open Google Photos I don't have two of the same photo were one is local and one is cloud. I just delete the one Photo in the Photos section and it's delete from both.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
What do you mean by local copy. If I open Google Photos I don't have two of the same photo were one is local and one is cloud. I just delete the one Photo in the Photos section and it's delete from both.
Yes.

To test this. I had a picture that was on my phone. I synced with Google Photos.

I went to my tablet and deleted it from Google Photos. I then went back to my phone and the picture is still on my phone.

That's why I don't use Google Photos.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Yes.

To test this. I had a picture that was on my phone. I synced with Google Photos.

I went to my tablet and deleted it from Google Photos. I then went back to my phone and the picture is still on my phone.
Then it may be the way your tablet is syncing because if you delete it from Google Photos on your phone I guarantee it'll delete from your phone Gallery. Which is what the OP would be doing so you're just confusing the OP and others by telling them it won't delete from the Gallery if you delete from GP. Which is what you stated earlier and you didn't say anything about using your tablet.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Then it may the way your tablet is syncing because if you delete it from Google Photos on your phone I guarantee it'll delete from your phone Gallery. Which is what the OP would be doing so you're just confusing the OP and others by telling them it won't delete from the Gallery if you delete from GP. Which is what you stated earlier.
No, my tablet is working fine. That's how it's supposed to work.

If I delete the picture from Gallery it will NOT delete from Google Photos. The cloud copy is still available.

That "delete on both cloud and synced devices" only works on Google devices like the Pixel.

This is why Google Photos suck. I rarely use it. I use OneDrive as my cloud back up. If I accidentally delete a photo, it still is on OneDrive.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
No, my tablet is working fine. That's how it's supposed to work.

If I delete the picture from Gallery it will NOT delete from Google Photos.

The cloud copy is still available.
I'm not talking about deleting from the Gallery why are you trying to change up your saying now. Re-read the comment you posted that I quoted.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm not talking about deleting from the Gallery why are you trying to change up your saying now. Re-read the comment you posted that I quoted.
I never changed what I said. I know what I said. You're confusing the local and cloud. There TWO copies of the picture. One on the local device that took the picture and one in the cloud. Google Photos does NOT tell you which is which.

I also stated that Google Photos sucks. I don't use it for that specific reason.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I never changed what I said. I know what I said. You're confusing the local and cloud. There TWO copies of the picture. One on the local device that took the picture and one in the cloud. Google Photos does NOT tell you which is which.

I also stated that Google Photos sucks. I don't use it for that specific reason.

I'm not confusing anything. On your earlier post you mentioned that if you delete from Google Photos it will NOT delete from your phone. This is before any mention of your tablet. I simply replied YES it WILL delete from your phone if you delete from Google Photos.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm not confusing anything. On your earlier post you mentioned that if you delete from Google Photos it will NOT delete from your phone. This is before any mention of your tablet. I simply replied YES it WILL delete from your phone if you delete from Google Photos.
And that is the confusion that Google Photos causes.