01-08-2020 04:40 PM
56 123
tools
    I am based in the UK and only use the stock messaging app, if I was able to completely delete it, I would switch to Google Messaging. I don't want unnecessary duplicates on my phone.
    12-12-2019 06:01 AM
    I have it in my S10, however I did participate in the Android 10 version beta program and not sure if it was available on Pie. My S8 doesn't have RCS messaging but some do and some don't. I haven't worked out the reason why, yet. I tried Google Messaging and it is a huge battery drain so I uninstalled in on the S8. I'm sure it will hit the Note series, probably when 10 rolls out. Using the stock app and chat features, I have no issues with battery drain.
    Nofear01 likes this.
    12-12-2019 06:19 AM
    OK, thanks. Are you UK based too?
    12-12-2019 06:37 AM
    Yes, I'm on EE but using non branded FW on both phones
    Nofear01 likes this.
    12-12-2019 07:07 AM
    OK, cheers.
    12-12-2019 08:54 AM
    I am based in the UK and only use the stock messaging app, if I was able to completely delete it, I would switch to Google Messaging. I don't want unnecessary duplicates on my phone.
    Which RCS?

Doesn't Samsung use their own version/profile of RCS for Samsung to Samsung messaging in the Samsung messages app?
    12-12-2019 12:34 PM
    Which RCS?

Doesn't Samsung use their own version/profile of RCS for Samsung to Samsung messaging in the Samsung messages app?
    I haven't noticed anything different with their stock app. I thought Google was implementing their RCS with all Android phones now?
    12-12-2019 12:50 PM
    I haven't noticed anything different with their stock app. I thought Google was implementing their RCS with all Android phones now?
    via the Google Messages app. AFAIK, RCS support via Google's Universal Profile will only be available in Google's Messages app.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that.
    12-12-2019 12:57 PM
    I know on the US version Samsung carriers have RCS on the stock message app , unlocked in the US don't . I'm not sure If it's the same outside the US .
    12-12-2019 01:00 PM
    I know on the US version Samsung carriers have RCS on the stock message app , unlocked in the US don't . I'm not sure If it's the same outside the US .
    But is it Google's RCS profile or Samsung's RCS profile?
    12-12-2019 01:25 PM
    But is it Google's RCS profile or Samsung's RCS profile?
    Carriers/Samsung RCS
    It's different from Google .
    12-12-2019 01:38 PM
    Carriers/Samsung RCS
    It's different from Google .
    If it doesn't support the universal profile completely, it isn't full RCS. Verizon Message+ is partially RCS compliant because it doesn't fully support the universal profile.

Samung's stock messaging app supports RCS, but it relies on the carriers support. Not all carriers are fully RCS compliant yet (like I mentioned about Verizon). If your carrier has implemented the RCS universal profile, then the Samsung Messages app will have RCS chat capabilities.
    Rukbat likes this.
    12-12-2019 01:49 PM
    If it doesn't support the universal profile completely, it isn't full RCS. Verizon Message+ is partially RCS compliant because it doesn't fully support the universal profile.

Samung's stock messaging app supports RCS, but it relies on the carriers support. Not all carriers are fully RCS compliant yet (like I mentioned about Verizon). If your carrier has implemented the RCS universal profile, then the Samsung Messages app will have RCS chat capabilities.
    I don't think any of the carriers have universal yet , but like I mentioned US unlocked don't matter which carrier you use you won't have RCS , that's why I've been using Google for that feature.
    12-12-2019 02:07 PM
    I don't think any of the carriers have universal yet , but like I mentioned US unlocked don't matter which carrier you use you won't have RCS , that's why I've been using Google for that feature.
    Right now, none of the major US carriers fully supports the RCS universal profile. Verizon, I think, is the closest. If you are Verizon, unlocked or not, and use its Message+ app, you get RCS chat features as long as everybody else is using it and are Verizon subscribers.

The US carriers are collaborating to implement full RCS support by the end of 2020. When that happens, it won't matter whether you use Google messages, Samsung's stock app, or the carriers' app, we'll all be RCSing to our hearts content.
    Rukbat and YaniCruz like this.
    12-12-2019 02:23 PM
    Right now, none of the major US carriers fully supports the RCS universal profile. Verizon, I think, is the closest. If you are Verizon, unlocked or not, and use its Message+ app, you get RCS chat features as long as everybody else is using it and are Verizon subscribers.

The US carriers are collaborating to implement full RCS support by the end of 2020. When that happens, it won't matter whether you use Google messages, Samsung's stock app, or the carriers' app, we'll all be RCSing to our hearts content.
    Can't wait until that happens
    12-12-2019 02:26 PM

Yeah, and going thru them will probably be an extra fee like there used to be for sms.
    mustang7757 and leerandall like this.
    12-12-2019 04:02 PM
    There also used to be no intercarrier MMS - you could only sent media to people using the same carrier you were.

It takes a while for new technologies to become universal.

(I don't think they'll charge extra for RCS, though - they seem to be getting away from nickle and diming customers to death. We used to get limited voice, per-text charges, incoming and outgoing, etc. We haven't seen that in a long time. And US carriers, at least, all have unlimited data plans. Even some of the MVNOs are increasing their data allowances.)
    12-12-2019 05:26 PM
    (I don't think they'll charge extra for RCS, though - they seem to be getting away from nickle and diming customers to death. We used to get limited voice, per-text charges, incoming and outgoing, etc. We haven't seen that in a long time. And US carriers, at least, all have unlimited data plans. Even some of the MVNOs are increasing their data allowances.)
    That's because everything is all data now; this includes SMS, MMS, and voice. This will probably affect those with tiered data plans more than people with unlimited data plans. The carriers won't have to charge a separate fee for RCS. They will just charge users on tiered data plans extra when they go over their limits. The other option would be to increase prices for everybody to offset the cost of the extra data being used by customers.
    12-12-2019 05:54 PM
    That's because everything is all data now; this includes SMS, MMS, and voice. This will probably affect those with tiered data plans more than people with unlimited data plans. The carriers won't have to charge a separate fee for RCS. They will just charge users on tiered data plans extra when they go over their limits. The other option would be to increase prices for everybody to offset the cost of the extra data being used by customers.
    Carrier love to put fees no matter which plan you have ,if they could .
    12-12-2019 06:16 PM

Sprint supports it.. I've had rcs in samsung messages for 3 years... And I've been texting ppl with rcs that has Google messages
    anon(7901790), Ry, Connert and 1 others like this.
    12-12-2019 08:01 PM
    My wife has RCS on her Verizon S9+ in Samsung messages, but my Note 10+ doesn't.
    Mood messenger also has chat features, and like it over Samsung and Google.
    12-12-2019 08:38 PM
    RCS for the stock apps will be entirely carrier dependent. The app/phone supports it IF the carrier does. That's where Google's Messages app came in and said 'eff it, we're taking over'. HOWEVER, note that the stock messaging app SHOULD NOT BE DELETED. It contains critical elements necessary for overall messaging and those are also used by 3rd party messaging apps (Verizon's a bit different, but that's another story). So if you don't like it, just hide it, but DON'T DELETE IT.
    12-13-2019 02:47 PM
    That's where Google's Messages app came in and said 'eff it, we're taking over'.
    And it still depends on the carrier/MVNO. Mint (a TMO MVNO) still doesn't work.)
    12-13-2019 03:29 PM
    HOWEVER, note that the stock messaging app SHOULD NOT BE DELETED. It contains critical elements necessary for overall messaging and those are also used by 3rd party messaging apps (Verizon's a bit different, but that's another story). So if you don't like it, just hide it, but DON'T DELETE IT.
    I thought that was decoupled a few Android versions ago.
    12-13-2019 05:32 PM
    AT&T , TMOBILE not sure of the other carriers, also RCS only works with there own carriers, so it's not universal on the Samsung Message.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    12-14-2019 01:38 PM
56 123