HELP ! Samsung Note II - Stuck with Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery. What can I do?

AnnieCP22

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
HELP ! Samsung Note II - Stuck with "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery.

Hi Everyone ! I really, really need your help on this one.....since it's not my phone...and helping a friend...I messed up.....I reallly need your help !

To make a story short, I am helping a friend with his Samsung Note II. He went to see a tech guy because he had problems with his phone, and after being charged 200$, the tech basically made his problem worst by doing a cold restart and wiping out his data !!

Anyway, I told him, no problem I'll fix this for you, there's this nice app called Dr. Fone that can retrieve your erased files from your phone. And I went on explaining to him, how data was stored on his drive, just like a computer, etc......that even if it wasn't visible to his rookie eyes...it was actually there.....etc.

So....while I was at his place, I backed up his files on his computer, downloaded Dr. Fone, unrooted his phone, etc.....I'm saving you all the details....to end up being stuck since Dr. Fone doesn't support OS 4.4.2 on Note II phones. Sooo....told him...no problem....will downgrade your OS to the supported 4.3.....wrong again !!!! I found out that it cannot be loaded with an earlier version - the Knox component in the 4.4.2 bootloader will prevent that.....soooooo.....while struggling to find a solution to his problem, I went on to find another app that would support 4.4.2....and again while trying to find a solution, I ****ed up really nice....after installing Kies on my computer (was back at my place with his phone, since I couldn't stay longer at his place), and yes I have the right Kies version for his phone....

While I was doing a firmware upgrade, I lost the connection between the phone and the PC. So now I am stuck with the nice message :

FIRMWARE UPGRADE ENCOUNTERED AN ISSUE. PLEASE SELECT RECOVERY MODE IN KIES & TRY AGAIN.

But.....of course, before doing all this.....Kies wasn't installed on my computer and of course....I didn't do a Kies backup before continuing with my search....and of course there is no Recovery Code for me to enter. To top it, I found out that he was not using Kies and since he never made a backup using Kies...well I was stuck.

Than, I told myself.....no problem...I will use ODIN mode and T889VVLUDNH3 firmware version for Galaxy Note 2 (Canada) (SGH-T889V) from region VTR that I found on Rapid Gator......but....it takes more than 10 hours of downloading this without a premium account. Soooo before I go to far in trying to save his phone....and since I have some knowledge, but I am not a full time phone techy....I really need your help.....I have a Samsung Galaxy 4 and Galaxy 3....I have unrooted both my phones and did what I needed to do to make them work to my taste and my daughter's needs....but never played with a Note 2....and of course...never been stuck with that kind of problem, since I always backup my files using 2-3 different methods....and silly me....I didn't think of backing up his files on Kies and never thought of asking him if he had Kies installed on his compu with backups.....soooooo........

After having read hundreds of your posts....I am not sure how to go about this.....I think I have found the firmware version for his Galaxy Note 2, like I was saying previously, but need to know the exact steps to do when stuck with this kinda of problems.

Here's the info about his phone :

Model : SGH-T889V
IC: 649E-SGHT889
FCC ID : A3LSGHT889
IMEI: 352934/05/023715/9
S/N: RV1D16QRPSR 13.01

Android OS : 4.4.2

Error message : Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again.

Thank you all in advance for your precious advice !

AnnieCP22

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Re: HELP ! Samsung Note II - Stuck with "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recov

Hi there ! Exactly, but since I've never done it, I would really appreciate a step by step ;)
I am really trying to help my friend that is totally lost with technology and I hope it will work, I would love to be able to tell him that not only did I fix his phone, but that I recovered some of his precious lost data.

Thanks in advance !

AnnieCP22

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Re: HELP ! Samsung Note II - Stuck with "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recov

Oh !! Just saw the link you posted with you reply Golfdriver....haha ! Still not used to your forum...thought it was your signature and didn't quite pay attention to it.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Oh !! Just saw the link you posted with you reply Golfdriver....haha ! Still not used to your forum...thought it was your signature and didn't quite pay attention to it.

Sorry for the delay. Was the guide I linked helpful? Sorry about the lack of clarity in my post.

AnnieCP22

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site

No problem for the delay, I figured it wasn't your signature. Actually, I was reflashing when my problem occurred, the cell phone got disconnected from the pc (the cat played with the USB cable.....grrrr) and I am now, like I was saying above stuck with the following error message :

Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again.

I can no longer go into Downloading mode, so was wandering what my next steps could be ? So you think reflashing again with Odin and firmware version will do the trick ? Also, can I reflash using a previous OS version ? Instead of 4.4.2 I would prefer 4.3 since Dr. Fone doesn't support 4.4.2, unless someone can point in a recovery data app that supports 4.4.2 on a Note 2 ? Normally the Knox component in the 4.4.2 bootloader will prevent me to downgrade, but I am wondering since I will try reflashing once more....maybe I could go with the 4.3 instead ?

Maybe I also need help in understanding how to unlock a bootloader ? I am a bit shaky about it since I am not an expert. Didn't have any problems with flashing my S3 and S4....so this Note 2 his giving me a headache !

Thank you so much for your help, I am really stuck ! And I hope I didn't brick is phone for good....I really would feel ver y bad in trying to help this friend, just to bring it back to him and say "sorry...just trow it away".

Last edited:

AnnieCP22

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site

BTW, your guide is great ! before finding this site, that is exactly what I did, when trying to resinstall the ROM and I wish I would have find you guys before, it would have help me save some time ;) But thank god, after reading some of your posts and other member's post, I realized that I'm not to bad with technology even if I consider myself a rookie....haha !

Last edited:

AnnieCP22

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Downgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.3

Has anyone of you succeeded in flashing a Note 2 to 4.3 after having upgraded to 4.4.2 ?

I know that once the new bootloader is flashed you are stuck with it and it won't support older firmwares, but I came across other posts on XDA that suggests otherwise with other Samsung models.

I am about to reflash a Note 2, that is giving me the error message : 'Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again.' And I am wondering if I could do a 2 in 1 and downgrade since my original objective was to do so. The friend I'm helping already told me that he doesn't care if his Note 2 ends up in the trash....soooo....I have a nice opportunity to try it without feeling to guilty about bricking a phone for good. But I have to be honest and say that my original task was to recover his lost data that a supposedly expert has wiped ! So....if I can achieve both than I will be so happy....but hey I am not dreaming here....I will be crashing is old data with a 1.2 G of OS...;)

Thanks !

AnnieCP22

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Re: Downgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.3

I am now stuck in "failed attempts" grrrrr......tried many times, using different USB ports and cables, redownloaded the firware 2 times....don't know what to do. Using Odin version 3.10.7 and firmware 4.4.2 for the right model and the right carrier. Should I try custom OS or should I just do a factory reset in stock recovery ?

AnnieCP22

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site

Yep, I also came upon your link while searching on XDA.....but apparently they have done it with the S4...it is worth a try for the Note 2 and other models. But for now I just need a running OS, since I am stuck in a loop.

Here's the link to downgrade a S4 from 4.4.2 to 4.3 : still can't post links :'(, but you can look for the following thread #2744061 or title "[tested] downgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.3 successfull !!"

AnnieCP22

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site

I am now stuck in "failed attempts" grrrrr......tried many times, using different USB ports and cables, redownloaded the firware 2 times....don't know what to do. Using Odin version 3.10.7 and firmware 4.4.2 for the right model and the right carrier. Should I try custom OS or should I just do a factory reset in stock recovery ?

Here's my last attempt info :

SGH-T889V 4_4_2 Firmware Failed in Odin V3_10_7.png

Androiduser13

Jan 31, 2016
Visit site
Hey, did you succeed? I have the same problem. I should never have downloaded this useless dr. Fone. Exiting download mode through the program failed, pressing all buttons failed, draining my battery failed. I don't know what to do anymore and I really need to get into my phone to access my files.

AnnieCP22

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi there ! Nope, since it was my friend's phone had to wait until I got to see him again and try using his backup files on his computer. I am now going through every steps I did in December and take it from there. Will let you know how it goes ;)