Stay Awake won't... stay awake

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
I keep setting "Stay Awake" under development options, but it keeps unchecking itself. Do I possibly have something set which is conflicting with it? I like to be able to leave my screen on while my phone is charging.

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
I tried your suggestion. However, the problem is, I'm not always looking at it. I drive a lot for a living, so I have my phone charging and on my dash most of the day. With the screen lit, I can see if a notification is worth pulling over for (don't text/email while driving). I used the Stay Awake feature on my Photon daily as I drove. Now I have to go in and turn the feature back on every day (multiple times) on my N2.

pbiron

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting the same behavior on my VZW Note II.

I called VZW tech support today to report this, as I consider it a bug that the setting isn't saved when you power the phone down. The VZW tech support guy told me that he had been told by Samsung's tech support that that was the way it was supposed to work...I couldn't believe this, so I had him call Samsung tech support for me. The Samsung tech support told me that he tried it with a Note II he had there and verified that he was getting the same behavior so it must be "working as designed". I told him he that all he had verified was that he was getting the same behavior and that I didn't think that was the way it worked on a stock Android device (i.e., a Nexus), but that I didn't have access to one. He said he had a Nexus and tried setting the option to "Stay Awake", powered the Nexus down and back on and "Stay Awake" was still checked. Hence, this appears to be a Samsung modification (i.e., a TouchWiz mod). I also just verified that the 4.1 emulator in the Android SDK does NOT uncheck "Stay Awake" when it quits and restarts.

Samsung tech support could NOT log my call as a bug report :-( They told me the closest thing they have to a mechanism for registering bug reports is to use the "Voice of the Customer" form on the Contact Us part of their website:

https://contactus.samsung.com/customer/contactus/formmail/mail/MailQuestionProduct.jsp?SITE_ID=1&titleCode=1

I just filled out the form and said that I think this is a bug and that they need to fix it. I suggest you (and everyone else) do the same.