Newbie Questions

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
You can just use S-Voice if you like siri better. S-voice was made by the same company that made siri. I find siri to be much slower and not nearly as understanding as Google Now.

I did a side by side comparison with my friends iPhone 5 and Google Now blew siri out of the water. Google Now received an update a week or two ago as well. It updated the search speed and speech recognition. I did this side by side comparison two or three day's ago and Google Now opened apps faster, gave weather results faster and even things like asking how old a certain actor's, movie listings, cooking recipes, landmarks, closest hospitals and stuff like where the neatest Walmart is, directions to it and it's phone number. I even asked it what the score was to a game I was watching and it was spot on, then even told me who won.

Google Now had cards for all of that and so much more. The iPhone 5 did most of it but did it much slower and if there was any background noise at all you had to repeat things to siri. Kind of like S-voice. As far as getting answers fast Google Now beats the hell out of siri, but if you want to hear the same two jokes over and over again siri can do that.. Then again so can S-Voice. I do play with S-voice from time to time and it is usable, just like siri. But as I said Google Now has much better voice recognition and you never have to hear "I cannot answer that question, would you like me to do an Internet search on (said question) for you?" I hear that from siri all the time as well as with S-voice. That's just another reason Google Now takes the win.

Also to the other poster that keeps taking about search, we were talking about searching emails. Like I said in my other post, you just press the menu button while in the stock email app and at the top is search. As long as you're email is synchronized all the way, you can search it. But if you only have the last 30 days synced that's all you will be able to search.

Anyway as I said, if you like siri. Use S-voice. But if you don't need to hear jokes and you're phone to tell you it loves you. Google Now will beat it every time and if you have personal speach recognition on in Google Now (you should have it on) the more you use Google Now the better it will understand you're voice and after a few weeks of good use, Google Now will be able to recognize every word you say and even auto correct you're sentence as you're saying it. I've noticed it doing that allot for me in the last few days. I'll mess up and it will backtrack and re enter the correct word or words that I said wrong.

I know allot of you know all this but I just thought I would explain it so anyone that's new to Google Now will know how great it really is and after using it for a bit it will understand you and you can rely on it 110 percent even with background noise. I've tested it with two people having a conversation right across the table we were at and it still understood everything I said. I guess another reason I've made this post so long is I myself, feel Google Now is amazing and it's been working so well for me it's kind of creepy.

Anyway, good luck with you're new device and have fun with it. How could you not. The Note 2 is an awesome device.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
The search function does indeed work and can be accessed several ways here are 2.

1. Hold the home key for a few seconds until the menu pops up, in the middle on the bottom you will see a google icon. Click it, and it will bring up a search menu that can be used to both search the web and your phone simultaneously. I just tried to find a contacts name and it found it right away.

2. Put a google search widget somewhere in a homescreen. Ot functions the same way as previosly mentioned.

I made a screenshot of the second option so you can see how I have mine. It put my search widget on the default homescreen so I can always find it quickly.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/10/ryberyqu.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Google Now search is great, but it's limited. It can't search calendar appointments. That's something the iPhone search feature has.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I use the calendar widget for that. It's a nice looking widget and all you need to do is slide over to one of your home pages. But Google Now will remind you of you have an up coming appointment.

The main reason Google Now can't be even better then it is, because Apple and there greed.

But even then Google Now blows siri out of the water, as I said before. It really is nice to have Google Now even doing things as simple as Note to self and I have them filtered to go into its own note to self label in Gmail. So all my notes go into there own folder, it's great. I just can't get over how understanding Google Now is. After the last update I notice it correcting my words if I say woops or start to say another word then say the word I ment to say it recalculated everything I said and the sentence comes out flawless and so fast.

The speak recognition in Google Now is by far the best I've ever used. As I also said before it gets better and better. To the point where you can mumble and mess up and with all the background noise going on it still puts everything into text with perfect accuracy. I find myself using the keyboard much less if I just want to jot something down. Or even for texting if I'm busy and don't have time to swype on the Samsung keyboard.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Google Now search is great, but it's limited. It can't search calendar appointments. That's something the iPhone search feature has.

Yes it is limited but you have a built in siri like app called svoice which can search your whole phone and stock apps if you are using the stock calender. It activate by double tapping the home button

umuvavaz.jpg

This is a screenshot from just a few of the suggested svoice choices.

One thing I wish I had was an app like iphone spotlight. Then I could search for anything quickly just by entering the first few letters of it.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Yes it is limited but you have a built in siri like app called svoice which can search your whole phone and stock apps if you are using the stock calender. It activate by double tapping the home button

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/21/umuvavaz.jpg

This is a screenshot from just a few of the suggested svoice choices.

One thing I wish I had was an app like iphone spotlight. Then I could search for anything quickly just by entering the first few letters of it.

How do you access that option screen from S-Voice?

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
When you first activate svoice it auto activates the mic, so touch the mic icon to deactivate it then touch the question mark to bring up options.