How many ppl had bad luck with the note 2.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi Jennifer,

I have the galaxy note 2, and have been happy with it until I updated a Samsung device update 2 days ago.

It changed the configuration of the icons on my home screen, but that's not my problem....When I use the Google search widget that looks like a Google search box on the top of my home screen, before it takes me to an input page (with the keyboard at the bottom), it takes me through Google Now 5 pages of "continue" or "try now" before I see the input page.

Then, the background of the input page is off-white instead of clear (black). I don't mind that so much (though I would like to change it back to clear), but the searches themselves take forever (if I don't get a different looking "retry" message).

Please help

I would suggest clearing your cache in google now. First try settings-application manager-swipe over to all apps and scroll down to google search. Tap on it, push clear cache and force stop. Wait a few seconds and try to open google now. Hope that helps, if not, let me know.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi Jennifer,

I have the galaxy note 2, and have been happy with it until I updated a Samsung device update 2 days ago.

It changed the configuration of the icons on my home screen, but that's not my problem....When I use the Google search widget that looks like a Google search box on the top of my home screen, before it takes me to an input page (with the keyboard at the bottom), it takes me through Google Now 5 pages of "continue" or "try now" before I see the input page.

Then, the background of the input page is off-white instead of clear (black). I don't mind that so much (though I would like to change it back to clear), but the searches themselves take forever (if I don't get a different looking "retry" message).

Please help

Hi. You can get rid of the Google now prompts by selecting try now, and disabling Google now through its settings. (Press the menu key> settings> Google now> turn off. As for the change in color, that may be due to the update, I cannot help you there. What does you signal look like when you are trying to search? You could try clearing the cache of the search app by going to settings>apps>all apps> Google search> clear cache, and see if that speeds you up a bit.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

TutorPros1

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate your very clear instructions, since I am relatively new to androids.
I did everything that you said, and you may have stopped the sluggishness (thank you), but the background did not change back to what it used to be (it's almost like an inverse black color over a black background, in between the keyboard and the search bar, and the search bar is also a strange white color which makes it almost impossible to read the "search" and "voice" within it.)
I ended up installing Google Now (although, for me, it doesn't offer much), but I did some research (forums, etc.) and I gather that the problem is not correctable.
I even installed a Google Quick Search app by Omni...something, which gave me the desired background, but there was a constant flow of ads above the search bar, so I uninstalled it.
If you find out about some sort of fix, would you be kind enough to drop me a reply?

Thank you.
Danny.

TutorPros1

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I turned off Google Now, cleared cache, force stopped, and uninstalled Google Now, but the color problem persists.

However, I did come up with a solution, I think.

There's an "Internet" icon shaped like the Earth, so what I did was set up that landing page as the Google Search home page.

So, that basically takes that input page (that the Google Search Bar widget takes me to) out of the equation altogether.

Now, I just have to deal with touching that little round icon instead of the bar widget, which is fine with me, and it saves me a step.

I'm even considering re-installing Google Now, and making that my landing page for the "Internet" icon.

Does that make sense, or am I missing something?

Droid_Evo_8

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
No issues here. In fact, I already rooted it 2 days after it first came out for Verizon back in December. It just keeps getting better. (especially ROM-wise)

chuckh0308

Apr 3, 2011
www.welcomehomeseattle.com
The problem isn't the device, it's the warranty replacements. There will always be a few bad devices and you happened to get one the first time. And so did at least two other people, or they damaged their devices. And you got THEIR returned phones as your replacements, most likely. Verizon and Assurion are particularly notorious for this, but I'm sure it happens on other carriers. They send out broken phones hoping that by some miracle the next person to receive it won't have the same problem as the first. Either that or there is absolutely NO quality control on the returns. Whatever the case, their return and warranty replacement system is seriously screwed up. That's why people will get three, four, five or more devices with problems while 99% of people get a perfect device the first time and never have any trouble. If they send you another clunker you need to demand a brand new replacement device. That's just ridiculous that anyone should pay so much money for something and then get someone elses problems as replacements.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
All you have to do is skim through the forum here and you'll see overwhelmingly positive feedback

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
All you have to do is skim through the forum here and you'll see overwhelmingly positive feedback

Thats with most phones in general. Alot of the time ppl dont report warranty issues or hardware issues. I was seeing just as a general consensus if ppl had any issues whats so ever. The majority doesnt have issues but some ppl still do.

If i usually have an issue with my phone i come here and look to see if others are having the same problem or not. I think its just me. Lol.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Android Central Forums

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Thats with most phones in general. Alot of the time ppl dont report warranty issues or hardware issues. I was seeing just as a general consensus if ppl had any issues whats so ever. The majority doesnt have issues but some ppl still do.

If i usually have an issue with my phone i come here and look to see if others are having the same problem or not. I think its just me. Lol.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Android Central Forums

I'm just saying there's a few threads already along this same line with a lot of positive feedback. My old stomping ground was the evo 4g lte forum and that one didn't have nearly the same positive feedback.

coxley24

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Wow, that really stinks. The only issue I've had was with the screen rotation bug. Other than that, everything has been perfect. Good luck!

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Well I got my latest warranty replacement and it seems to be working fine. So well see what happens in the next few days.

From what ever phone I feel like using today.

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Well I got my latest warranty replacement and it seems to be working fine. So well see what happens in the next few days.

From what ever phone I feel like using today.

I change my statement. My phone still has the WiFi issue. I'm jumping through hoops to get it replaced. This phone is so problem prone and has a very laggy UI. I don't know how ppl can deal with the UI. I've had 4 different note 2s and I've used other ppls and used the ones in the store and they all have a very slow UI the last update helped with it but it's still slow imo. Im going to try and get a different make and model replacement.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Android Central Forums

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I change my statement. My phone still has the WiFi issue. I'm jumping through hoops to get it replaced. This phone is so problem prone and has a very laggy UI. I don't know how ppl can deal with the UI. I've had 4 different note 2s and I've used other ppls and used the ones in the store and they all have a very slow UI the last update helped with it but it's still slow imo. Im going to try and get a different make and model replacement.

No offense, but you must have a very different definition of lag than most people.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

Have you tried disabling the animations in the developer settings? These phones are very feature packed, so a little lag is to be expected, but adding touchwiz's animations can make it almost painful.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.? -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

vlfifthdawnlv

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Mines randomly crash like once a week. I don't know if its normal or is because of go launcher.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site

I have had no issues with either of my note 2's (except the fact I murdered the screen on the first one)

And as for lag... debloat it, turn animations off. I have ZERO issues with lag. And I'm using stock TW launcher on a stock deodexed rom.

~swyped from a galaxy (note 2) far, far away

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress