Screen Timing Out

nytmare

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Just purchased my N20 Ultra and trying learn about it (I had a N8 for the past 3+ years). On my N8, the screen would stay on as long as I was looking at it and time out in 30 seconds if I wasn't looking at it. On the N20, the screen will dim and then time out while I'm looking at it, which is annoying. I currently have the timeout set to 30 seconds. I've also disabled Adaptive Brightness, which I read could also be causing the issue and I have Smart Stay enabled. Is there a setting I'm missing that will keep the screen on while I'm looking at it or is there an app I can download that can help with this. I recall using an app called Screebl back when I had an N4, but I've not tried that on my N20 yet. TIA.

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
Just purchased my N20 Ultra and trying learn about it (I had a N8 for the past 3+ years). On my N8, the screen would stay on as long as I was looking at it and time out in 30 seconds if I wasn't looking at it. On the N20, the screen will dim and then time out while I'm looking at it, which is annoying. I currently have the timeout set to 30 seconds. I've also disabled Adaptive Brightness, which I read could also be causing the issue and I have Smart Stay enabled. Is there a setting I'm missing that will keep the screen on while I'm looking at it or is there an app I can download that can help with this. I recall using an app called Screebl back when I had an N4, but I've not tried that on my N20 yet. TIA.
It's here ..Screenshot_20201121-230436_Settings.jpeg

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site

Thats weird as you state you have Smart Stay already enabled!

Try disabling it then reboot the phone by turning it Off and then back On and then re enable Smart Stay and then see what happens.

I wish you all the best with this.

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
It really depends on the color of your eyes. I, for example, have never been able to use that function, on "any" of my notes over the years. But i have dark brown eyes. My wife in the other hand, it works perfectly.. She has grey to green eyes, depending on the season.

Kind of sucks but oh well.. But it's very dependent on your eye color..

nytmare

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Thats weird as you state you have Smart Stay already enabled!

Try disabling it then reboot the phone by turning it Off and then back On and then re enable Smart Stay and then see what happens.

I wish you all the best with this.

Tried this, but it didn't work. Thanks for the suggestion though.

nytmare

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Another odd thing... I've set my screen timeout to 10 mins, but after a while, it resets itself back to 15 secs. Why would it reset itself? I may need to use an app of some type. Like I mentioned, I used Screebl on my Note 4 and 8 and it seemed to work ok. The app says it's not built for a Note 20 and I'd have to agree since I've tried enabling it and my screen still dims out after about 15 secs. I wonder if another app like Caffeine would do the job?

nytmare

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Check "device care" there is option for optimize can over rule screen on

I considered that earlier and changed my Power Mode to High Performance to see if that changed anything. It didn't. My screen still fades out after 15 secs. Which if funny since I set the screen/display to stay on for 10 mins, but after about a min, it switches itself back to 15 secs. There's gotta be another setting somewhere that's making it do this. I just haven't yet figured it out. Thanks for the suggestions though.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I considered that earlier and changed my Power Mode to High Performance to see if that changed anything. It didn't. My screen still fades out after 15 secs. Which if funny since I set the screen/display to stay on for 10 mins, but after about a min, it switches itself back to 15 secs. There's gotta be another setting somewhere that's making it do this. I just haven't yet figured it out. Thanks for the suggestions though.
Yeah something changing this , try safe mode and see if its ok that way we can eliminate any 3rd party apps .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87