Anyone using the Galaxy Gear? How is it?

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Simple question. Just want to know how the Galaxy Gear fits into your life and how you guys like it!

The way the Gear fits into my life is that at 6 am I take both the Gear and the phone off the charger and connect them.

After that, the Gear serves as the primary means by which I read all email, read and respond to text messages, answer incoming calls, take pictures, schedule and view appointments, and oh yes, tell the time.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

slatyford

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Fits in well. Saves taking the phone out everytime you want to see if you have any emails or messages. Handy for making and receiving calls
Battery life is fine.
I just wish it was compatable with 3rd party apps as I hare the stock message app

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I ride a motorcycle to work sometimes, and today I got a chance to experience another way the Gear is so useful.

While riding in this morning I was notified by the vibration on my wrist I had a text message. I tapped the Gear and saw my message and immediately knew I needed to pull over and call home.

Before getting the Gear I would have not received the message until I got to work, got off the bike and then picked up my phone to check it.

The Gear really saves the need to pick up the phone when you are out and about because so many times your hands are not free to fumble with the physical phone.

amir iqbal79

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
The way the Gear fits into my life is that at 6 am I take both the Gear and the phone off the charger and connect them.

After that, the Gear serves as the primary means by which I read all email, read and respond to text messages, answer incoming calls, take pictures, schedule and view appointments, and oh yes, tell the time.

Do you get emails sent to your gear from the stock email app?
I only get text messages

Sooks

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
I have been really enjoying my Gear as well. Being in IT I am always reading text and emails and getting phone calls and it is nice to not have to carry the note 3 around the office everywhere to handle all of it when I can do it from my watch. I only get email alerts while using exchange through the stock app (which i am not a fan of because we use google apps) but it is worth it in order to have my emails on my phone.

I have also been very happy with the speaker quality (dare I say it sounds better than my note 3 speaker) and people say I sound as if I was talking on my cell so I am happy with that.

Ryan Krezdorn

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
to start off I love the watch...

but it does not fit my wrist it is very tight cutting off my circulation. I am not the biggest guy in the world so i think many others will have this same problem. i have talked to Samsung about this issue and they said that they had many complaints about this but that they will not make a product to increase the band size like a band extender. Samsung said it is up to the cellphone provider to make these accessories. Best buy will not take the watch back because it is fully functional and they blame it on Samsung for not providing a band size in there specs. So now i am stuck with a watch that i cant wear and cant return I hope a 3rd party comes out with a extender soon.

Any suggestions???

amir iqbal79

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I have been really enjoying my Gear as well. Being in IT I am always reading text and emails and getting phone calls and it is nice to not have to carry the note 3 around the office everywhere to handle all of it when I can do it from my watch. I only get email alerts while using exchange through the stock app (which i am not a fan of because we use google apps) but it is worth it in order to have my emails on my phone.

I have also been very happy with the speaker quality (dare I say it sounds better than my note 3 speaker) and people say I sound as if I was talking on my cell so I am happy with that.

Could you be a bit more specific about how to setup things so I can get my email via the gear. I am using the stock email client with 2 email accounts being run through it. I have never received ant emails so far to my gear

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Could you be a bit more specific about how to setup things so I can get my email via the gear. I am using the stock email client with 2 email accounts being run through it. I have never received ant emails so far to my gear

Go to the Gear Manager on the Note 3, tap the word "Notification", then check-off the email app in order to receive email notifications on the Gear. Of course, Notifications should be set to "On", but it sounds like this is the case already.

slatyford

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I dont get txt on my Gear. I have handcent on my Note 3 but also have stock message app set to show notifications.
Anyone else having issues with 3rd party apps or found away round this as I hate the stock app

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I dont get txt on my Gear. I have handcent on my Note 3 but also have stock message app set to show notifications.
Anyone else having issues with 3rd party apps or found away round this as I hate the stock app

In order to use the Gear for text messages you'll have to forego using Handcent. The Gear is configured to only use Samsung's native email and messaging app.

That being said, the convenience of having the messages, emails, and calls flowing through the Gear is so convenient that I doubt you'll miss the benefits of that 3rd party app. Primarily because you'll find you won't even pick up phone no where near as much as you do now to interact with the 3rd party app.

dakeb

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
In the UK the Galaxy Gear is so over-priced at about ?300 it does not represent good value. I would place it more in the ?100 bracket, it has such limited functionality. It reminds me of one of the first LED watches in the 1970s. They cost a fortune just to tell the time. Within a year they were dirt cheap and every kid had one. I think the Gear will end up like that to a degree, if you wait it out the technology will improve immensely and the price will drop considerably. I wouldn't be surprised if a basic version of it ends up being bundled for free with every new phone within a couple of years.

Just noted a massive variation in price in UK:- ?275 to ?400 depending on where you buy it online.

Last edited:

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
In the UK the Galaxy Gear is so over-priced at about ?300 it does not represent good value. I would place it more in the ?100 bracket, it has such limited functionality. It reminds me of one of the first LED watches in the 1970s. They cost a fortune just to tell the time. Within a year they were dirt cheap and every kid had one. I think the Gear will end up like that to a degree, if you wait it out the technology will improve immensely and the price will drop considerably. I wouldn't be surprised if a basic version of it ends up being bundled for free with every new phone within a couple of years.

I understand your comment but actually how can you speak to its limits and value not having owned one?

If you read the comments of those who actually HAVE the Gear you'll find a common theme; they find it a very useful and convenient accessory.

Has the device reached its full potential, of course not. But this first attempt is actually very good, and while we know each version will undoubtedly improve upon the last one, that's not saying anything that could not be said for any product or service.

Early adopters are willing to buy products and try them out. We comment, make suggestions, and even complain a little about this or that. Manufacturers listen and use that information to make it better the next time.

However, if people were not willing to buy it and try it out then manufacturers wouldn't invest the time and money into making the products.

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
to start off I love the watch...

but it does not fit my wrist it is very tight cutting off my circulation. I am not the biggest guy in the world so i think many others will have this same problem. i have talked to Samsung about this issue and they said that they had many complaints about this but that they will not make a product to increase the band size like a band extender. Samsung said it is up to the cellphone provider to make these accessories. Best buy will not take the watch back because it is fully functional and they blame it on Samsung for not providing a band size in there specs. So now i am stuck with a watch that i cant wear and cant return I hope a 3rd party comes out with a extender soon.

Any suggestions???

Huh, with all the talk of it really only fitting a larger wrist, I didn't think that'd be an issue. I'm a bigger guy too so this could be very annoying. I still want to pick one up though.

No way to remove the band and replace with your own?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4