Newbie to Android from Blackberry. Help explaining Root / Apps / Get up To Speed

dpoverlord

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

So I have been using blackberry products for years and have put on leaked / Beta OS's sideloaded Android apps. I even plunged and bought the Q10... Well yesterday I got the Note 3 and I have to say I LOVE IT... The only problem is that I am not sure how to take advantage of it with Verizons Network.

So far I discovered FoxFI so I dont have to pay to use my "unlimited data"

Few questions:

1. Do I need to ROOT? What are the benefits for someone new to Droid?
2. What can I do to MAXIMIZE this phone? I am so used to not have amazing apps now I am in overload trying to discover everything I can do.
3. I even took the day off today to figure it out... ANY Help would be GREATLY apprecaited!

THank you so much!

blazin247

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
When Android was in the infancy stages, there were more reasons to root your phone (IMO). The UI wasn't as polished, and often manufacturer's would muck it up with heavy, ugly skins like the original Motoblur which bogged down the phone and make it cumbersome to use. I haven't rooted in years, but back then the reasons to root were: custom ROM, free tether, ability to disable apps, free apps, ability to screenshot capture, and Titanium backup. Now we've got screenshot as a built in ability, FoxFi for tether, tons of backup options (although admittedly none nearly as full featured as Titanium), great sources of apps for free, and really no heavy manufacturer skins that make me want to do more than add a launcher or a Themer theme.

If you don't hate the UI of your phone, or aren't technologically savvy, I wouldn't bother rooting. Rooting is infinitely easier now than it used to be, but problems can arise and you have to determine if it's worth it for you, especially come warranty time. Typically, people who are heavy customizers or AOSP enthusiasts are the main people who root, as ROMS (CM ETC) provide a lot of built in nifty enhancements and remove all the bloat, which isn't so much a factor anymore with the speed of these phones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87