Changing Default Hangouts Contact Pictures

NickinVA

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Esteemed community which always seem to have the answers,
I'm using the work-around to combine my Google Voice SMS's into Google Hangouts, now that they've added SMS capability.
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/12/03/how-to-use-google-voice-sms-with-hangouts/
Link above for that work-around if anyone's curious.

It's not great - but I like having to use only one application. Anyway, my question is, for contacts who do NOT have their own Google+ profiles, Hangouts uses whatever photo I have in my contact card. But, if a user does have a Google+ profile, it overrides to that picture. My issue is, a lot of folks have nonsensical pictures like their dog or something, rather than their face. On my few, I would like to have people's faces.

Is there any way to override that photo? I can't find any settings to that effect. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Nick

TheClawDad

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
While I am on a MotoX I have this same issue. It seems like Google wants Google+ profile photos to have priority. I would prefer to choose. Bump for visibility.

dg2kids

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking for a solution to this, as well. I have my contacts set up exactly how I want them and it's maddening to have things changed without my permission. I've seen requests for a fix for this in several places. Why would google insist that we use the google+ contact photos???

kartak

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
joining in the outcry for a solution to this. I heard something recently about hangouts no longer requiring a g+, could this have somehow made a difference?

ATL Wiz Kid

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Everything is in Google.
Just go to a web browser with the account signed in to this link
google dot com slash contacts

edit the contact and add a picture.

hope this helps the world

Chuck Claunch

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Everything is in Google.
Just go to a web browser with the account signed in to this link
google dot com slash contacts

edit the contact and add a picture.

hope this helps the world
I'm pretty sure everyone here understands how to do that. The problem is Google overrides that custom photo if the person has a Google+ profile with a photo. They need to add an option to turn that off.

cjones1348

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Really, over a year and still no solution for this? Do I really have to get every contact change their g+ photo back to their face just for my convenience??!?!?

dhectorg

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
I've really grown to hate Google and their incessant push to integrate ALL of their services and tie them to G+. All I want to do is change my own profile pic in Hangouts, which seems to be impossible without G+. I do not have a G+ account and don't want one. So I guess I'm stuck with the same profile pic forever, lest I cave in to Google's bullying.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
g1303bk