Changing from 32gb to 64gb external SD card, heating concerns

boudicca00

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
TLDR version: did I get the wrong kind of card? was I in error in not getting it Fat32 formatted, before inserting it in the phone? how worried should I be about overheating?

I've been using a 32 gb San Disk Ultra MicroSD HC I card initially with my Note 3, and it was working well, with no complaints. Amazon had their price drop pretty low for their SanDisk Ultra 64 GB microSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card 30MB/s with Adapter SDSDQU-064G-AFFP-A, so I picked one up (in the comments for the item, people specifically said it should work for the Note3).

Reading various threads, people were saying I should format the card with Fat32 before putting it in my phone, then format it again using the phone itself. I have Win7, and when I put the card (with adapter) in my PC, it only gave the options for NTFS or ExFAT. A mac didn't give an option for Fat32 either. So I put it in my Note3, and just used the phone's stock option to format it. Then I swapped a few apps, from the internal memory to the external card.

Starting up the Note3, it started to feel warm on the back, and it appears it got up to 34 or 35 Celcius. I shut the Note3 down, removed and reseated the battery and the external card, and started it back up. It started out at 34 or 35 again, but is slowly going down. I haven't tried running any apps, and just have a battery temperature monitoring app going. I do have it plugged into a USB cable, because if the temp stabilizes, I'd like to bring back photos, movies and music back onto my external card.

In various threads, I've read where people say that their Samsung phone overheats when using this large of a SD card, or that the phone keeps trying to reference the external card and overheats. Should I be wary of it overheating? Is that initial spike in temperature ok? Should I try to see if it gets hotter, by running a movie or a graphically intense game? Should the formatting by the phone be the correct kind of format for that card, and I didn't need to format it prior to insertion?

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
TLDR version: did I get the wrong kind of card? was I in error in not getting it Fat32 formatted, before inserting it in the phone? how worried should I be about overheating?

I've been using a 32 gb San Disk Ultra MicroSD HC I card initially with my Note 3, and it was working well, with no complaints. Amazon had their price drop pretty low for their SanDisk Ultra 64 GB microSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card 30MB/s with Adapter SDSDQU-064G-AFFP-A, so I picked one up (in the comments for the item, people specifically said it should work for the Note3).

Reading various threads, people were saying I should format the card with Fat32 before putting it in my phone, then format it again using the phone itself. I have Win7, and when I put the card (with adapter) in my PC, it only gave the options for NTFS or ExFAT. A mac didn't give an option for Fat32 either. So I put it in my Note3, and just used the phone's stock option to format it. Then I swapped a few apps, from the internal memory to the external card.

Starting up the Note3, it started to feel warm on the back, and it appears it got up to 34 or 35 Celcius. I shut the Note3 down, removed and reseated the battery and the external card, and started it back up. It started out at 34 or 35 again, but is slowly going down. I haven't tried running any apps, and just have a battery temperature monitoring app going. I do have it plugged into a USB cable, because if the temp stabilizes, I'd like to bring back photos, movies and music back onto my external card.

In various threads, I've read where people say that their Samsung phone overheats when using this large of a SD card, or that the phone keeps trying to reference the external card and overheats. Should I be wary of it overheating? Is that initial spike in temperature ok? Should I try to see if it gets hotter, by running a movie or a graphically intense game? Should the formatting by the phone be the correct kind of format for that card, and I didn't need to format it prior to insertion?

Format the card inside the phone. Go to Settings>Storage>Format SD card (remove anything you intend on keeping). The phone will format it to its specifications. Just an FYI, I bought the 64GB version of the same card a few years ago and I'm already on my 2nd card. It was already replaced once by Sandisk and the 2nd card has already started giving me issues so I have reverted back to a Samsung 32GB.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Oh and something to think about, when recording in 4K video, I'm not sure if the Ultra class of Sandisk cards can write fast enough to keep up with all the data being written. You may want to consider saving video internally.

conanheath

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Check your battery usage. If you install a new card and load it up with a lot of data, you will see "Index Services or Indexing" using the most battery and causing heat. I used usb 3.0 to transfer 30gb after formatting card in phone. Index ran for 3 days before I pulled card. Phone ran hot and battery life Sucked during indexing. From there I formatted card in phone, pulled and used card reader to install same files from computer. Reinstalled and indexing ran for about 30 hrs or so and was done. If indexing is top of battery usage it should subside as soon as card is indexed. Don't know if it will help but good luck.

ATT N3

AuburnGrad

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I have that exact card, that I bought a couple of months ago on a similar sale on Amazon. I have not had any issues. It does feel a little warm sometimes, but nothing that has had me worried about hurting the phone. I had the card formatted in the phone, and then took it out, loaded it up with music, reseated it, and haven't had an issue since. I know cards can be faulty, but I think its just those that have issues make sure others know about it. And all those that are fine, rarely say a thing. I have tried to make sure to leave reviews, since I want to know it works or not.

IIRC, you can't format to FAT32 on this large a card. Fat32 is on a 32gb or smaller card.

I only have music and pictures backed up on the card. All of my apps run from the phone.