Who has BBM downloaded on their device?

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
My first smart phones were blackberrry's, so I have some expereince with BBM. On my BB8800 and BB9000 it was a great option to expand functionality beyond texting on the BB at that time. there is no doubt it is better then straight texting. But eve on BB there was a desire for better IM clients. Many of the same ones are on Android. IM+, Trillian to name a few. Frankly i am tired of the slew of clients to choose from. Hell on the Note 3 we get 4 different software clients with the phone. The built in Messaging app, ATT messaging, Hangouts, and Chat on from Samsung.

Don't get me wrong, BBM is fine, but I don't see it being that big with the saturated space on android phones for messaging apps. BBM's biggest appeal are to those that have had BBM on blackberies and remember how good it was.

This. I am pretty close to having one messaging client per contact that I chat regularly with. To the point that when I change conversations I am used to changing apps, not changing conversations within the app.

If RIM (now blackberry) had gotten out in front of this in 2006 or 2007 or so, I can easily imagine they would have settled into being the standard IM app and preventing anyone else from getting a serious toehold. As it is now the market is saturated and they're effectively a newcomer (outside for BBRY handsets themselves) and several other messengers have a lot of momentum that will be difficult to overcome.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Ah okay. Yeah I can see the functionality but personally it's not for me since I have to get people to use it and my friends are to lazy lol :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
This. I am pretty close to having one messaging client per contact that I chat regularly with. To the point that when I change conversations I am used to changing apps, not changing conversations within the app.

If RIM (now blackberry) had gotten out in front of this in 2006 or 2007 or so, I can easily imagine they would have settled into being the standard IM app and preventing anyone else from getting a serious toehold. As it is now the market is saturated and they're effectively a newcomer (outside for BBRY handsets themselves) and several other messengers have a lot of momentum that will be difficult to overcome.

At 40 million downloads outside of Blackberry devices, I do not think it will be a tough market to overcome, not at all. BBM is known amongst many for it's capabilities - and that's why you now have another 40 million users in IOS and Android using it. You will see it grow exponentially over the next short while. It's a very strong contender in the IM market...almost without competition.

Ah okay. Yeah I can see the functionality but personally it's not for me since I have to get people to use it and my friends are to lazy lol :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Time for new friends - LOL

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
At 40 million downloads outside of Blackberry devices, I do not think it will be a tough market to overcome, not at all. BBM is known amongst many for it's capabilities - and that's why you now have another 40 million users in IOS and Android using it. You will see it grow exponentially over the next short while. It's a very strong contender in the IM market...almost without competition.

40 million is chump change these days, Whatsapp is at over 400 million, for example. Moreover I suspect more than half of those 40 million are India and middle-east, which is fine but those of us who are north american users have a much harder time finding BBM contacts.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
40 million is chump change these days, Whatsapp is at over 400 million, for example. Moreover I suspect more than half of those 40 million are India and middle-east, which is fine but those of us who are north american users have a much harder time finding BBM contacts.

40 million is in addition to the over 80 million BB users who already have it. Whatsapp is complete garbage anyway...not sure I believe they have 400 million unique active users...

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
40 million is in addition to the over 80 million BB users who already have it. Whatsapp is complete garbage anyway...not sure I believe they have 400 million unique active users...

I have BlackBerry Messenger on my iPhone (moved from a curve) and all of two contacts on it. one I do chat with and the other is mostly idle and prefers other messengers. would I count as an active BlackBerry Messenger user and as one or as two (is my Curve PIN still counted?)

if you are going to suspect whatsapp's reporting of numbers you have to suspect BlackBerry too.

and for me, on iOS at least, BlackBerry Messenger is the "complete crap" one. when someone sends me a single message I get a push notification that seven messages have been sent. (Edit: caught on camera: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz8yJfZk-v4 ) - it is annoying.

when I update my status it gets sent to one contact but not another. same thing for when I change my profile photo.

whatsapp is much more solid in terms of stuff like that. and whatsapp is only one of several other IM systems each with more users than BlackBerry Messenger (Line, Facebook messenger, hangouts and Kik, for example) or systems that offer much better security (Threema or Wickr).

That's not to say BlackBerry Messenger doesn't have it's uses and username but it is in what I think is a tough environment. I would be interested to see a geographic breakdown of where those BlackBerry Messenger users are. it did seem popular in UAE but I'm hard pressed to find anyone here that uses it.

Last edited:

iphone5s

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Thoughts on the OP's question.

I really like the Android version of BBM on the Nexus 5 over the iPhone version. The layout feels better on the N5 and of course there is the smaller screen on the iphone. Secondly, while on the topic of the Nexus 5, BBM has potential to be much, much better than Nexus's default Google Hangouts as long as there is continued development by BlackBerry.

In my personal experience with messaging app users those who are dismissive of BBM have either not tried to [or don't] understand how to maximize the potential of all BBM's features, don't understand Apple's limitations that impact the performance of the ios app, or just have simple sms needs, and that's ok.

After wading through most all the messaging apps in Google's playstore, imo BBM is by far the most sophisticated messaging app available in terms of functionality.

Last edited:

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I have it. I don't use it for one-on-one messaging as much but I've found a couple cool groups to chat with people there. I tend to rely on good old SMS for national messaging, and WhatsApp or BBM for international. (saves the international SMS fees my carrier charges)

jaj324

Banned
Aug 20, 2013
Visit site

I really like the Android version of BBM on the Nexus 5 over the iPhone version. The layout feels better on the N5 and of course there is the smaller screen on the iphone. Secondly, while on the topic of the Nexus 5, BBM has potential to be much, much better than Nexus's default Google Hangouts as long as there is continued development by BlackBerry.

In my personal experience with messaging app users those who are dismissive of BBM have either not tried to [or don't] understand how to maximize the potential of all BBM's features, don't understand Apple's limitations that impact the performance of the ios app, or just have simple sms needs, and that's ok.

After wading through most all the messaging apps in Google's playstore, imo BBM is by far the most sophisticated messaging app available in terms of functionality.

I think most peoples opposition to BBM is that in order to use it your friends and family have to use it too. If they aren't currently using it you have to convince them to and then probably answer every question they have about it. Most people are already invested in other messaging options, SMS being the most popular.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Could you and your friends use text messaging just as easily? Just wondering.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

When I don't have to worry about anyone's phone number, texting is irrelevant. BBM uses a pin, not a number. Don't have to worry about international charges appearing up because I texted someone say in the UK for example in which some of my friends are. Don't have to worry about Google reading the mail you could say also.

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site

What BBM features are those who are dismissive not tried? Remember that on iOS at least, a lot of the features that are on the bb10 version aren't present at all. I was a member of a fairly active group on bbm as well, and the fact that I couldn't independently control group vs single notifications drove me mad.

mspace81

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
As the BBM app stands right now, it isn't going to sway many people to use it because of all the other messaging apps available. I do not prefer whatsapp because a telephone number is associated with the account. I use BBM daily and have some active groups and I really enjoy it. I think that once BBM voice, BBM video, BBM channels, screen & location sharing, increase in attachment size, and the ability to have more control over notifications are added, it will definitely be a contender.

Once these things are added, I will definitely be informing family and friends about downloading it. When I had a bb10 device, BBM voice was absolutely fabulous! I could talk to a friend while they traveled in Germany and not worry about international rates and it can be used on wifi or 4g.

Posted via Android Central App

kevinnugent

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Also, it has to be said that just because 40m people downloaded it, that doesn't mean 40m active users on iOS and Android. Blackberry have a way of releasing information that is slightly disingenuous. I downloaded it 3 times, on different devices and don't use it at all now.

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Also, it has to be said that just because 40m people downloaded it, that doesn't mean 40m active users on iOS and Android. Blackberry have a way of releasing information that is slightly disingenuous. I downloaded it 3 times, on different devices and don't use it at all now.

80 million total (all platforms) monthly active users: http://blogs.blackberry.com/2013/10/bbm-first-week/

they define active user there too.