Strange Charging Issue

IceCold803

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Last night I was changing my S-View case from black to white. After complete I noticed that my phone wasn't charging anymore. It was plugged in and said it was charging but the percentage was going down. After rebooting and even battery pulls still the same thing. I took my wife's Note 3 charger to see if I could get it to charge. Her charger worked and my phone started charging. I am going to assume it is the charger itself and not the phone but it's just strange that this started right after I was changing the S-View case. Now this could be all in my head but it seems as if it is not charging as fast as it used to. Like I said, that could just be me being paranoid.

Do you think I should contact Samsung or T-Mobile to attempt to get a new charger? I just got the phone in November and it is still under warranty. Any thoughts and help would be great.

Posted via Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Does your charger work with your wife's cell phone? If not, you're in for a replacement. If it does, it might be the cable that's gone awry.

IceCold803

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Does your charger work with your wife's cell phone? If not, you're in for a replacement. If it does, it might be the cable that's gone awry.

You know I haven't tried to use my charger on hers. About to check.

Update: Talked to Samsung. They can send a replacement charger but I will have to send in the bad charger and then wait for the replacement to come. They will pay shipping.

Talked to T-Mobile. They are sending a replacement right away I will just have to pay shipping of $8.00 charged to my next bill.

I am going to go with T-Mobile just because sharing chargers with my wife sucks.

Edit: My charger doesn't charge her phone either so I guess the charger is shot. Thankfully is not my phone. I love my Note 3.

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You know I haven't tried to use my charger on hers. About to check.

Update: Talked to Samsung. They can send a replacement charger but I will have to send in the bad charger and then wait for the replacement to come. They will pay shipping.

Talked to T-Mobile. They are sending a replacement right away I will just have to pay shipping of $8.00 charged to my next bill.

I am going to go with T-Mobile just because sharing chargers with my wife sucks.

Edit: My charger doesn't charge her phone either so I guess the charger is shot. Thankfully is not my phone. I love my Note 3.

Glad to hear you figured it out. Coincidences get confusing at times.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, sharing gadgets and chargers is never a good idea :p hehehe Especially if you're both used to charging your phone at the same time (usually at night). Another option (in case you can still cancel with T-Mo and save those 8 bucks) is to use another microUSB charger you've got lying around. Maybe an old Blackberry one, or a tablet charger, or pretty much any wall charger you can plug an USB cable to (or a computer port, but that means keeping your PC on at all times and charging is slower there, too).

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Since it seems to be the charger there is no reason why T-Mobile can't swap it out for you in store. Though the price is not much, I'd still try and get it for free. It's the principle :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

IceCold803

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, sharing gadgets and chargers is never a good idea :p hehehe Especially if you're both used to charging your phone at the same time (usually at night). Another option (in case you can still cancel with T-Mo and save those 8 bucks) is to use another microUSB charger you've got lying around. Maybe an old Blackberry one, or a tablet charger, or pretty much any wall charger you can plug an USB cable to (or a computer port, but that means keeping your PC on at all times and charging is slower there, too).

Didn't even think of that. I have a chance couple blackberry z10 chargers that I will try and see if that will work. Thanks!

IceCold803

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Since it seems to be the charger there is no reason why T-Mobile can't swap it out for you in store. Though the price is not much, I'd still try and get it for free. It's the principle :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

I would have tried that but the nearest T-Mobile store is about 35 miles away from me.

IceCold803

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
8 bucks would be cheaper than the drive - LOL

Lol exactly. I'm going with the $8.00.

Also my old BLACKBERRY Z10 charger did work and I am charging now. Still seems slower than it was but I think that is all I my head.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
For sure it's slower. The Z10 charger is a 750 ma charger. The Samdung wall charger is 2.1 amps. It charges at almost 3 times the speed. It's not in your head - LOL

IceCold803

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I am using the Z10 charger and it won't go past 97%. Hopefully it's because of the charger. Starting to worry again.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Try a reboot, and / or a battery pull, I bet that will fix it, but even if it doesn't, it's fine. Charging to 100% is not as good for your battery as charging to 97% is anyway...don't even give it a 2nd thought.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Try a reboot, and / or a battery pull, I bet that will fix it, but even if it doesn't, it's fine. Charging to 100% is not as good for your battery as charging to 97% is anyway...don't even give it a 2nd thought.

No idea where you heard this. There is no reason that I've heard of that would prove that charging to 100% is bad for Lithium Ion batteries. The phone doesn't overcharge after all.

*If you can direct me to something stating otherwise I'd love to see it. I just never understand these claims as I've read a charge cycle is up to 100% and there's nothing wrong with hitting it.

IceCold803

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
For sure it's slower. The Z10 charger is a 750 ma charger. The Samdung wall charger is 2.1 amps. It charges at almost 3 times the speed. It's not in your head - LOL

You are right. It's slower but it did finally go up. I'm just so used to how fast the OEM charger charges.

Unicorn11B

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
No idea where you heard this. There is no reason that I've heard of that would prove that charging to 100% is bad for Lithium Ion batteries. The phone doesn't overcharge after all.

*If you can direct me to something stating otherwise I'd love to see it. I just never understand these claims as I've read a charge cycle is up to 100% and there's nothing wrong with hitting it.

batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

If you research LI-on batteries and the particulars about them, you'll understand that they prefer being charged to under full capacity. I didn't say it was "bad" per se, I just said it was better to charge to a less than full state.

Li-on batteries do better with this type of charging as opposed to charging to 100% capacity. Not saying the phone "overcharges" either.

There are a number of reputable sites online that can provide you the details as to why. When manufacturers make the claim as to how many cycles a battery is good for, it's based on 100% complete charge cycles. Shorter cycles ultimately provide longer battery life in Li-on batteries. It's not my opinion, it's a fact and there's enough information online to support that. I don't bother with it; I just charge to 100%, but I know ultimately it's better to charge to less than 100%.

Here's one site you can read about this at:

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer