Battery draining apps

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
2 days ago, I uninstalled the Android Central app. Though it never showed up as a resource or battery hog, I found out that it always runs, no matter what. It wasn't in my auto launch group, yet I got a notification that there was a post in a thread I participated in, when the application was apparently not running. I could not find it running in the Application manager or anywhere else, but the notification came in while it was closed. Since uninstalling the application, my battery life has improved enough for me to notice it.

I do not have many apps running in background and do not want most of them. I don't use social media apps, except for BBM, and no apps that update online while not running in the foreground. I have mail/ contact/ phone and BBM open at all times and that's pretty much it. I never thought I'd have this issue with the Android Central app, but now I am thinking there may be other apps doing the same thing.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
A few things:

Battery monitor (built in)
Wakelock Detector - free download

Then I go through the Application manager screen to see what processes are running, look up the definition and use, then decide if I'm going to disable them or not. In this case, I didn't have to use anything, because the app sent notifications and did not show up in memory. It was by fluke that I found it.

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
2 days ago, I uninstalled the Android Central app. Though it never showed up as a resource or battery hog, I found out that it always runs, no matter what. It wasn't in my auto launch group, yet I got a notification that there was a post in a thread I participated in, when the application was apparently not running. I could not find it running in the Application manager or anywhere else, but the notification came in while it was closed. Since uninstalling the application, my battery life has improved enough for me to notice it.

I do not have many apps running in background and do not want most of them. I don't use social media apps, except for BBM, and no apps that update online while not running in the foreground. I have mail/ contact/ phone and BBM open at all times and that's pretty much it. I never thought I'd have this issue with the Android Central app, but now I am thinking there may be other apps doing the same thing.

how hog it is? mine says with gsm 0.3%

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't know, but since uninstalled, battery life has improved noticeably. I'm surprised it's had that much of an impact on the battery...

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't know, but since uninstalled, battery life has improved noticeably. I'm surprised it's had that much of an impact on the battery...

do you use something else to go on the forum with the phone or use the browser?

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I WAS using the app, but now I just won't bother going to the forum from my phone. Going through a browser is a pain in the ***. I'll just post from my notebook or my desktop PC.

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I WAS using the app, but now I just won't bother going to the forum from my phone. Going through a browser is a pain in the ***. I'll just post from my notebook or my desktop PC.

Well then the phone become too big for you if you are not using it anymore for his screen estate.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using AC Forums mobile app

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Lol. Not too big. Just easier to post here from a desktop rather than a phone if I'm not using the forum app.

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I can not complaint about the phone cause that's what I'll be using when I'm on the road.
I am in the process to look for a tablet. And I'm thinking to go with Dell tablet Pro 11 with full window on it

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using AC Forums mobile app

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Was it hurting your battery life to the point where it make a difference in your daily use of it?? If not, then just enjoy the phone and use it to its full potential. I can leave everything on and still get 4-4.5hrs screen on time with 30-45 minutes of calls and not need to charge it till night.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk