Note 3: Problems after KitKat update

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Is anyone experiencing problems after the update?

After I updated my Note 3, Action Memo doesn't work at all anymore and SNote crashes after I save a note. Also, Double Twist can't access the SD card to save podcasts anymore, but I still can save my photos on the SD, just as before.

Is anyone having similar issues? I own an unlocked N9005.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Problems after KitKat update

External Sd card handling is changed in kitkat. 3rd party Programs need to be updated to work again.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

phillyundead

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
My phone is all kinds of messed up after kitkat. I'm getting the battery drain and slow charger. A lot of freezing. It will not let me downgrade via Odin or root. My SD card is almost useless. I filed a warranty exchange.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
SD Card writing policies CHANGED in KitKat, so non-system apps only have read access to external SD Cards. They can only write media files (pictures, video, standard audio) and that's after a special change in their codes. Apps with full write access like File Explorers are now rendered half-useless if you want to use it to modify things in your SD card (only the stock File Manager would be allowed to do this).

NOT a bug, it is a conscious, yet unpopular, decision made by Google and it's a part of the core code in KitKat.

If you're rooted, you can change a single line of code in a permission file to restore write access to non-system apps. Samsung used to include this 'hack' with their builds (that's how they brought back App2SD, for instance) but it seems that with the KitKat update they either forgot or didn't want to include it anymore.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
SD Card writing policies CHANGED in KitKat, so non-system apps only have read access to external SD Cards.

This is not completely true. I believe each app can also write to a single private directory on the SD card as well.

Still a dumb decision, but a little better.

MacHouse83

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Only bugs I've noticed is a slight increase in battery drain and when I play music the music lockscreen will freeze up sometimes when trying to pause a track or even unlock my device. Other than that it's pretty smooth.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
My phone is pretty useless after the update: Action Memo crashes on startup, SNote crashes when I save a note, multiwindow doesn't work, battery is draining faster than before the update and I'm having issues with the GPS.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
massive battery drain. I have less and less confidence in google's handling of the AOSP. It apparently coded defective camera access API causing apps to access camera in the background unnecessarily (may or may not be a tactic to undermine skype), which led to battery drain. And now "android system" consumes most battery.

Google, is it incompetent? or just become dirty?

Keltypack

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I blame Samedung for their software problems. Samey is a horrible SW company and has no design sense (have you seen TouchWiz--it pisses on you if you touch it).

The Note 3 is nice HW (except for Knox), but the Samey SW really stinks.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I blame Samedung for their software problems. Samey is a horrible SW company and has no design sense (have you seen TouchWiz--it pisses on you if you touch it).

The Note 3 is nice HW (except for Knox), but the Samey SW really stinks.

100% disagree. I appreciate the functions very much. Another layer of privacy protection from google is just icing on the cake.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I know you hate to do it, but if clearing cache doesn't fix your issues, bite the bullitt and factory reset, other than the changes to SD card permissions, kitkat for the majority of note 3 users has worked just fine, no missing apps, no lag, as good or slightly better battery life, better RAM management. Now, the camera bug is a possibility, I did seem to run into it once after shooting a short 4k video, but it was possibly google+ uploading it that caused my battery hit, but a restart fixed the issue for me

Bren K

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same problem after the update on my Note 3. Action Memo saves are not saved, Map will no longer give me directions, Video playback on downloaded play store videos will not longer play but causes my device to reboot.

Joel Pelsue

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I have loved my note 3, but after kit Kat update, battery drain is crazy, and my phone will just die, minutes after i saw it has 60% battery. I was using the camera to shoot video and it just died. i get back to a charger, and it says i have 60%. Anyone know if the camera app, or other app may cause it to crash? I tried another camera app, and phone shut off after 5 seconds or so

Joel

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress