Keep the S5 or swap for a Note 3

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi - I was lucky enough to get my hands on an S5 a couple of weeks back through a competition, so far I'm loving the phone, but someone is offering to swap me a Note 3 plus a Gear watch for the S5. What should I do people? I loved my Note 2 last year and I'm not due an upgrade until Oct this year so I'll have my pic when its time. I just need to make the choice.... S5 or Note 3 until Oct?

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi - I was lucky enough to get my hands on an S5 a couple of weeks back through a competition, so far I'm loving the phone, but someone is offering to swap me a Note 3 plus a Gear watch for the S5. What should I do people? I loved my Note 2 last year and I'm not due an upgrade until Oct this year so I'll have my pic when its time. I just need to make the choice.... S5 or Note 3 until Oct?

I have the Note 3 so I'm biased. I think that it is the best smartphone on the planet. I like the size of it and the S-pen functionality has been a great experience. If you used the S-pen often with your Note 2 then I say you should swap for the Note 3 and then upgrade to the Note 4 when you are eligible.

Sent from my Note 3. It has a pen😉

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I would definitely go with the Note 3 and Gear but you know these questions are always subjective. I have nothing against the S5 except it doesn't have an S-Pen. Well depending which carrier you're on it may also only come with 16GB internal storage, which I wouldn't like either, but that may not be true with yours.

Since you've used a Note 2 before and you already have the S5 you should have a pretty good idea of what you'd like better. Throwing in the Gear watch, assuming you'd use it, it seems like a no brainer to me. But if you don't care about the S-Pen and you like the smaller size and slightly newer hardware of the S5, I doubt you'd be unhappy with it for 5 months.

The only thing I would prefer about the S5 myself is the water-proofing. That alone is not enough to get me to choose it over the Note 3.

Just editing to add that this was based solely on a phone comparison, not on whether or not it's wise to swap phones with someone else. You didn't state the circumstances of the swap. If you're taking about swapping with someone online, I'd run from that and hold on to your S5. If you're talking about swapping with a good trustworthy friend or relative, go for it.

Last edited:

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Thank you both - I think I already knew my answer, I just needed a little persuading. I did use the S Pen on the Note 2 and loved it, so I think I'll do the swap. I currently use the Sony Smart Watch 2 and enjoy its novelty, so the Gear being thrown in as well is a great offer. The swap is with a close friend so I know I can trust him.

jeepmanjr

May 2, 2014
Visit site

My wife has the S5, I have the N3. I would never trade, I love my N3. In fact, I haven't found a single thing I don't like about it (except OTAing to KK without rooting first - but that's my fault!). She's already complaining about the S5 charging port door and that she wished it came with an S Pen. I'd say go for it! And a Gear watch to boot! Just my .02.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I think it depends on what's important to you. In my case my note 3 does everything I can think of that I want it to do my big thing is this jumbo screen. I absolutely love it and I don't even wanna go a pinch smaller.

I've seen pictures of the s5 and my daughter has one and I think it's bigger than the s4 which I did have previously but I still don't think it's a big is a note 3.

Notes from Deb's Note 3

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Well you are on the note 3 forum. So we are most likely to choose note 3. Now if you didnt post this in any other forum, then it seems like you made up your mind on the note 3. Also if it is the gear 2, then i would change.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
You have made the decision you wanted. You had the Note 2 so it made sense to take the Note 3.
Personally I really like the new Touchwiz on the S5, though after a similar time, 2 weeks, I would probably regret leaving the Note 3, because of its screen. I don't know.
We have had this old Touchwiz for at least 3 years, and the Note 3 deserved better.
I don't think we will ever get it now.
So if you can get the Note 4 when it comes out as well, you have it made.
:jealous:

Sent from my N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree with almost erveryone else in this thread and suggest going ahead with the trade. I had the pleasure (smile) of helping my Sister set up her S5 and to be honest my Note3 was/is a better overall device IMHO. Your also getting the Gear watch (I'm also JEALOUS)....Go for it, I'm sure you be glad you made the trade. SMILE

Rmedy21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
It's interesting that you put this topic because I too was thinking of getting the s5. I have had the note 2 and note 3. I love my note 3 I would give up my 32gig just for 8 gigs makes no sense to me.

Posted via Android Central App

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
It's interesting that you put this topic because I too was thinking of getting the s5. I have had the note 2 and note 3. I love my note 3 I would give up my 32gig just for 8 gigs makes no sense to me.

Are they not 16 or 32gb? I could live with 16gb just. I have 20gb free device storage now on my Note 3 (Shock! - Horror!).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Are they not 16 or 32gb? I could live with 16gb just. I have 20gb free device storage now on my Note 3 (Shock! - Horror!).

S5 is 16gb minimum. I have used up most of the storage on my note 3, internal and 128gb microSDXC.

nuba8uju.jpg

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Rmedy21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
The s5 is a 16gig but Samsung only gives you 8 gigs of space on the s5. That's why I won't consider the s5

AlfBriggs

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Go Note3 its the best device hands down! Also does your phone run slower when's it's got more storage like insanely slower???

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Went and swapped the phone :) had the note 3 for a few hours now and it's the best swap I've ever done!! its an amazing phone. Can't tell any speed difference between this and the s5

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
S5 is 16gb minimum. I have used up most of the storage on my note 3, internal and 128gb microSDXC.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/23/nuba8uju.jpg

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Hey, my Storage doesn't display a breakdown anymore. Is that another KK change.
Don't you get 'insufficient storage' warnings?
Well dpham00, I would hold onto that last 45mb, you might need it, ya never know.

e4e7anuq.jpg

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Hey, my Storage doesn't display a breakdown anymore. Is that another KK change. ....

I don't know if this is what you mean since I never had JellyBean on this phone. But you can get a further breakdown if you click on Used Space and Miscellaneous Files.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87