Do you really use all of your Note 3 special features.?

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Now that the IPhone 6 and 6 plus have been released, many underwhelmed Note owners claim that Apple has only upped the size of the screen but have failed to incorporate features the Note series has had for years, like a stylus, wireless charging, NFC, remote control capability, multitasking, etc.

While I occasionally use my stylus, I could probably live without it. (One survey showed only 10 percent of Note users ever use the stylus). I don't split my screen to run 2 apps simultaneously, although I know how to do it. Wireless charging is too slow for me to make it something useful for me. I don't need my phone to be a remote control. I have many remotes. I have never used NFC and probably won't since Apple pay isn't going to work with Android. (Although Apple was late in adding NFC to their phones, at least they are making a use for it.)

The reason I am pointing all this out is the IPhone 6 plus, in spite of its missing features, still has a lot of what I need. Am I alone, as a Note 3 owner, who seldom uses most of its unique features?

Could you ever consider an Apple because it now has a big screen and features that are really used, namely a great phone with call quality now second to none, as well as a great, no brainer camera that even my wife could use, and an interface, albeit boring, nevertheless is smooth and unfailing with each update?

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I use the stylus every day for note taking, NFC for file sharing with my friend's S3 and some nifty system we have been testing in the office for fun, the remote control every day at home, the screen mirroring when I'm cooking and don't want to miss my show on TV (if you have a Sammy TV you can do that with newer models and you can mirror the TV on your phone or tablet). The only thing I never use is wireless charging because I rather buy 10 5-buck USB chargers than one 50-buck wireless cradle which you still need to keep plugged in.

And having an iPhone for work I can tell you it is NOT unfailing with each update. I do admit it's smooth and responsive, but it's not perfect, but then again, Android isn't either. Personally, I wouldn't go to Apple because I enjoy the Android experience and it's what I have become accostumed to, and having been able to use my Note 3 as a personal phone alongside an iPhone 5S for work, I can tell you the iExperience is just not for me, no matter how simple things can be.

Oh, and Multitasking I actually use a lot for work haha Checking e-mail while watching a related document or having two documents side by side is quite useful. So is having your calendar next to your e-mails.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
admittedly I don't use that much of the special feature. The problem is iOS's UI is a grid launcher, which really isn't that innovative since palm invented decades ago.

So when you blow it up, its just like a zoom-in version of an old iPhone.

Good thing about android is that the home screen is completely customizable, so there are plenty of way to decorate the home screen and it doesn't feel as fixed or a blow up version of something else.

rustmonkey

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I use wireless charging, the S Pen, split window (calendar and notes for meeting), and NFC daily. Occaisonally will use screen share, wifi direct, yada yada... but the pen and split window are very valuable to my productivity... and wireless charging saves my ports from wearing out :)

DJxDARIENx

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I dont use my features except for split view when Im watching a video and texting; comes in handy! Ive played with both the 6 and the 6 plus, I personally dont think much was added and the way apple announced it made it seem like so much was added! I dont "Hate iphones" I think they have perks like imessage and the way it syncs together, its perfect! but other than that I dont think I could use one everyday. The 6 plus is only a larger 6 and nothings added. I wish something different was between the 2 but nothing really is. Just a blown up ios

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I dont use my features except for split view when Im watching a video and texting; comes in handy! Ive played with both the 6 and the 6 plus, I personally dont think much was added and the way apple announced it made it seem like so much was added! I dont "Hate iphones" I think they have perks like imessage and the way it syncs together, its perfect! but other than that I dont think I could use one everyday. The 6 plus is only a larger 6 and nothings added. I wish something different was between the 2 but nothing really is. Just a blown up ios

Actually, the 6 plus offers much better battery life and optical image stabilization, which the 6 lacks. In addition, the bigger screen of the 6 plus also provides an enhanced keyboard and enhanced 2 column email app, when in horizontal view. All of these enhancements make the 6 plus the clear choice between the two IPhones. But of course, the Note 4 is supposed to have all of this, too.

I am personally torn between the Note 4 and the IPhone 6 PLUS. While I can appreciate the Notes multitude of features, I just don't use them. The IPhone 6 plus is elegant in its simplicity and ease of operation. It doesn't do everything like the Note 3 or 4, but what it does do is smooth and more glitch free. I expect the more refined Note 4 may fix any shortcomings of the Note 3 and
make my upgrade decision difficult.
Right now, however, because of the way I am not using my Note 3 features, I am leaning towards the 6 plus when I next upgrade.

Last edited:

Formerly Known As

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I enjoy using the Note 3 UI.
From what I have seen Iphones
Follow the LCD philosophy of UI design. EVERYONE can learn to use it. That doesn't make it bad, just boring. It also holds back innovation.
I'm sure the camera is slightly better than the Notes, I'm sure it is a solid phone. (like the Note)
Just not for me personally.

(oh yeah, IPHONE users are a little snobby....)

Yk Chin

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I am personally torn between the Note 4 and the IPhone 6 PLUS. While I can appreciate the Notes multitude of features, I just don't use them. The IPhone 6 plus is elegant in its simplicity and ease of operation. It doesn't do everything like the Note 3 or 4, but what it does do is smooth and more glitch free.

Right now, however, because of the way I am not using my Note 3 features, I am leaning towards the 6 plus.

It's better to have all the features but not using it now rather than want to use it in future but don't have em. :)

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't use all of my Note 2's features, but do use the following frequently and can't imagine not having them: :)

• S-Pen hover scrolling (hover near edge of screen to scroll in that direction)
  • User replaceable battery (swap out for a fresh spare anytime to get back to a full charge immediately)
  • SD card (easily expandable and/or swap between devices. Ex. between my phone and tablet)

amzi160586

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I think I'm in the same boat as you mate.
I've had both note 2 and now the note 3 and mainly use it for its large screen.

I guess having all the features is a plus but I rarely use them. At most I may use the s-pen to draw few graphs but that's it.

Am too tempted to try the Iphone6 for a year until maybe the note 5 comes out..

Posted via the Android Central App

jim_h#AC

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
I use the stylus every day and would now be lost without it.

I've also got NFC tags at home, work and in my car to program the N3 to change settings with a wave. It's really handy when I get in my car and have the phone switch on screen rotation, GPS and my sat nav software all by waving at a tag hidden in the sun visor.

Hmm, what else...I don't use the split screen much, but always use the feature where you can reduce the display in size in order to use the phone one handed (can't remember the name now).

Oh yes...the removable battery. One of the main reasons I got the N3 over another HTC. A must have!

There's no other phone out there I'd be as happy with :)

shaleem

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Well, I know one thing for sure after reading these posts ...... there's a whole lot of stuff on my Note 3 that I want to learn how to use! :)

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I use the spen for note taking everyday, multiple times a day.

Removable battery a couple times a week to swap in a fresh one.

Split window a few times a week for multitasking.

Not to mention widgets and other android features that make the phone more customized to my needs.

Love the notes. True smartphone built for productivity (in my opinion). It gets the job done....