Since my Sprint Note3 got updated to Lollipop, why are my incoming text messages sliced at ~70 characters?

A

AC Question

Sprint Note3 updated to lollipop, now incoming texts sliced at ~70 characters.

Since the upgrade, all of my incoming messages are splitting into separate messages at between 60 and 70 characters. So I switched to Handcent SMS, but the same thing still happens. If the incoming contains a URL, it often is split, making it useless. This was not happening prior to the upgrade to Lollipop. How does one change the length that triggers a message split in Lollipop?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Sprint Note3 updated to lollipop, now incoming texts sliced at ~70 characters.

The trigger is on the sending end, not the receiving end. If the message uses Unicode, it splits at 80 characters (which is still 140 octets, the same as 160 characters in ASCII).

Texarc

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: Sprint Note3 updated to lollipop, now incoming texts sliced at ~70 characters.

Hi, Rukbat - The text I am receiving is a hard-coded string coming from a GPS monitoring device, which I am certain has not changed. Prior to lollipop, when I ping it with a short text code, it would respond by texting me a map url that let me click it, and would take me to a map with an icon for the device. (it's for parents with alzheimers that might be forgetful and wander away from home). So the sending device is not what is slicing the text message, that device has not been changed in any way. Since the day before Lollipop was pushed to my phone by Sprint, these text messages were enitre and intact, and on the day the upgrade occurred, the very next text was sliced in two, and every one since then, same thing. I'll try Sprint support (yikes!). I was hoping someone knew more about android than me, that could point to a setting in Lollipop (since it does this slicing on both the native text message app as well as Handcent. argh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa