Note 4 "Gapgate"

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
re: Note 4 "Gapgate"

Just went back to Best Buy this morning to play around with the display models and none of them had gaps. Sounds like a bad batch made it past QA. Either way I'm not worried about my pre-order; oh wait.... I'm canceling now!!! Just kidding. :p

We'll see, in the off chance there's something wrong when it arrives will just return it for a new one. Worst case, I'll just keep rockin my Note 2 longer. :D

Best buy has functional display units??

Posted via Android Central App

Edgar702

Banned
Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

So I went to bb tonight and specifically looked at 3 different N4s and yes I did see a very small gap between the glass and the aluminum frame. All 3 display models had a gap, each one was more pronounced in different spots. One of the the gap seemed larger on the top and the next model the gap seemed larger on the side. Why? I don't know, maybe just flexing of the aluminum frame. Who knows how many times people juggled the displays and dropped them on the counter. Bottom line though Samsung says these gaps are supposed to be there and they really are very small. I don't really understand what all the fuss is? I think the apple fans are stretching pretty far out there to find a flaw in the N4 since it beats them in just about every category. I would take a small gap over an aluminum soda can any day.

I don't think that an Apple fan started this thread.
And Samsung says that these irregular gaps are supposed to be there? Wow! And Fandroids talk about iSheep? Lol!

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

And Samsung says that these irregular gaps are supposed to be there? Wow! And Fandroids talk about iSheep? Lol!

An Apple fan most certainly did not start this thread lol. I have an iPad mini tho...don't judge me :)

anon(3092520)

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site

I know, right? Samsung obviously traveled back in time and updated their manual to reference the gap. Good news though, a time travel app will be included on the Note 5.

bwright16

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

I read that someone said that the same gap feature is reported in the manual of the Note 2 & 3. I no longer have my Note 2 so I cannot confirm this. I assume it's on page 180 as well if anyone still has their manual to their Note.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

I read that someone said that the same gap feature is reported in the manual of the Note 2 & 3. I no longer have my Note 2 so I cannot confirm this. I assume it's on page 180 as well if anyone still has their manual to their Note.

I have all paperwork, but nothing goes up to 180.

Note 2 via Android Central App

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

Just be sure to check your phone once you receive it and send it back if it is a problem. Even if it is a small gap, it can and will cause serious issues down the road. It could be isolated incidents though. You cannot gauge if it is a design flaw just by a couple phones being that way out of millions. These are being made by near-slave wage workers after all.

To those saying Apple propaganda: you must live very sad and depressing lives if you are seeing boogeyman everywhere and believe everything the media feeds to you just from a few unspecified reports.

MRS DIVA

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I have all paperwork, but nothing goes up to 180.

Note 2 via Android Central App

The Note 2 has the user Manual on the device and there is a reference to the possibility of a small gap appearing. The info is in the troubleshooting section of the Manual.

Please see screenshots

Posted from my Galaxy Note 2

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-01-10-20-45.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-10-01-10-20-45.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 183
  • Screenshot_2014-10-01-10-20-38.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-10-01-10-20-38.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 181

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I had BlackBerry Storm and BlackBerry Storm 2. The clickable screens on both devices obviously had gaps on all four sides - by design. Yes, dirt could be of a slight annoyance but no major issue. And I do not think the functionality of the phone was compromised.

As for liquid, well .. this phone is not supposed to be waterproof any ways.

So I am not worried about gaps - unless there is a gaping chasm on the sides.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I think Samsung has dug themselves a hole of sand on this one. Does this mean the non gap versions at my local BB are faulty? ;)

Seems the design is susceptible to alignment deviation due to the production process and Samsung is spinning it with nonsense.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
The Note 2 has the user Manual on the device and there is a reference to the possibility of a small gap appearing. The info is in the troubleshooting section of the Manual.

Please see screenshots

Posted from my Galaxy Note 2

So, basically, as others have said, this appears to have been a design feature for some years. So, I'm a little confused as to what the fuss is about. Is there something DIFFERENT about the "gap" that appears in the Note 4? If not, it seems to be a non-issue.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Is someone changing the thread title?? Cuz I know I didn't name it Note 4 "Gapgate"...

IamMasterChat

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Re: Gap gate?

The title of the article, referring to the link from the OP, speaks for itself. The phrase "might have" does not pose an accurate issue. If this is indeed a confirmed issue, Samsung will surely find a way to fix it. After all, they don't want to end up with a losing margin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeneralCaveman216