Note 4 Am I going to regret Touchwiz down the road?

David Lees1

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I've played with the Note 4 quite a bit and it seems like a great phone. Very quick with no lag.

My question is, is this going to change as time goes on. Will it get slow and laggy and terrible? I'm getting the ATT version so I don't think I'm going to be able to ROM it.

Are any of you worried about buying in to Touchwiz?

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Am I going to regret Touchwiz down the road?

From what I've read TouchWiz is always smooth at first but as time passes it does definitely bog down in places, this was the case with the Note 2 and 3.

But as hardware has come a long way even if the Note 4 starts lagging it shouldn't be unbearable, and I believe that Samsung will try to focus on improving performance in TouchWiz soon.

Apart from that though, the performance issues, TouchWiz is a nice UI and I really love some of the additions, especially the camera app!

David Lees1

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

I suppose if it starts to get slow you could always do a factory reset, right?

honey_bee_33

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Definitely noticed some slowing down with my note 3. Its been a year October 3rd with my note 3 and yes it has been slowed but not overwhelmingly to bad.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

Some folks like TouchWiz, some hate it. I liked it well enough. I liked it enough that, when I returned my Galaxy Tab 2, first time, and went back to my old tablet: I installed a launcher that worked very much like TouchWiz.

I don't believe TouchWiz, alone, is the problem people experience with Samsung devices. It's all the other mangling Samsung does to the stock Android code and all the bloatware they shove on to the customer's devices, as well. IME and IMO, Samsung's mobile device software development people are... well... sloppy. Careless. And Samsung, again, IME and IMO, is as unresponsive to customer complaints as just about any company with which I've dealt. That Samsung's code should be subject to bit rot would come as no surprise to me.

I like Samsung hardware (my Samsung tablet with CyanogenMod rocks), but I dislike and distrust Samsung's code even more. As such: It'll be as close-to-native Android, for me, going forward, as possible. Samsung is about as far away from that as you can get and still be on something called "Android."

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

I've played with the Note 4 quite a bit and it seems like a great phone. Very quick with no lag.

My question is, is this going to change as time goes on. Will it get slow and laggy and terrible? I'm getting the ATT version so I don't think I'm going to be able to ROM it.

With so many Launchers out there why worry about Touchwiz. I like Nova Launcher. When you get your phone just experiment with the launchers you will find one that you would like.

DarkUncle

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site

Mine was slow as well and texting would lag and skip all over. Did a factory reset and it's as good as new again. Android phones are much like Windows based computers. Every so often you have to clear it out and start fresh. Think that's probably the only thing ios has over android. It's a very controlled operating system but at the same time it's biggest fault.

Posted via the Android Central App

asharrop

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
This isn't specific to Samsung and touchwiz. All computers, even android ones in your pocket, slow down over time. Yes, even stock Android. Android Central recently had an article about this and things you can do to get things briskly moving again.

Basically remove stuff you don't use and clear cache once in a while. Factory resets are an option too if things are real bad. Make sure to backup important stuff. (BitTorrent Sync is great!!)

Posted via Android Central App

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

Have any of you guys tried any of these tricks to stop the lag? I have done this on all my Samsung phones. S5,GNote3, and Samsung Nexus.

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

I've had my Note 2 for two years, stock TouchWiz, and I don't notice any lag problem. I have done one or two system restores, but it's been a long time since I did that. Perhaps I'm just not attuned to the lag issue. I don't tend to open up a lot of apps, then click on one and try to time what fraction of a second it takes to open up. It all is fast enough that it has never bothered me.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

This isn't specific to Samsung and touchwiz. All computers, even android ones in your pocket, slow down over time. Yes, even stock Android. Android Central recently had an article about this and things you can do to get things briskly moving again.

Basically remove stuff you don't use and clear cache once in a while. Factory resets are an option too if things are real bad. Make sure to backup important stuff. (BitTorrent Sync is great!!)

Posted via Android Central App

Agreed. When I had my Galaxy Nexus, it would slow down after a while on the same ROM over time. Whenever I installed a fresh one after a wipe, it was quick again. I think adding apps over time slows down the phone, not the UI.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Yathani

May 21, 2013
Visit site

If there is lag, then there is a bad app.

Usually what I do is do clean catch and Dalvik cach. Also greenify unneeded app will fix the lag issue you have. I'm currently using app called Seeder, which suppose to improve the experience even more.

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site

What you guys are talking about, is a bit untrue.

All operating system bog down as the cache and junk files keep building up, this happens in iOS and Windows Phone as well. The solution is that you go to your settings and clear the cache, and uninstall some of your unused applications.

But not all phones are affected by this, primarily older phones are and those with TouchWiz on them. I've been using a Nexus for the past two months since it's the 16 GB variant I've often had 1GB left at many times in the storage, and it still works great.

Samsung's Galaxy S5 was thrashed by the iPhone 6 in a speed test primarily because of how slow TouchWiz was, maybe if Samsung learns from their mistakes it starts trying to improve performance.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

How long are you realistically going to keep the phone? The way phones are changing, could be that you might upgrade in a year or so. I have a Nova Launcher on my Note 3 that I have had for about a year and that works well. Which is interesting for me because does the manufacturer's UI really make a difference when I run Nova?

IrishFXDB

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site

Turn off all the Samsung crap that makes up the back end of Touchwiz. The air view stuff, motion scrolling, S voice, etc. Once that is done, replace the front end Touchwiz launcher with another, like the Google Now launcher if you want simple, or something like Nova if you want options. Finally, replace your messaging app with Hangouts orany other SMS app and you now have a device that is almost free of Touchwiz and no rooting or rom replacenent is necessary.

Fast, clean UI and you still have your S pen features and the actual good things like multi window and floating windows.

David Lees1

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

Turn off all the Samsung crap that makes up the back end of Touchwiz. The air view stuff, motion scrolling, S voice, etc. Once that is done, replace the front end Touchwiz launcher with another, like the Google Now launcher if you want simple, or something like Nova if you want options. Finally, replace your messaging app with Hangouts orany other SMS app and you now have a device that is almost free of Touchwiz and no rooting or rom replacenent is necessary.

Fast, clean UI and you still have your S pen features and the actual good things like multi window and floating windows.

Yeah, this is my plan at this point, thanks!

epic800

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site

This would definitely be the best bet. I plan on doing the same thing when I take delivery of my Note 4.