A week with my white Note 4

kevin_fan

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
What phone are you coming from?

I'm using a BlackBerry Q10 with an ipod touch as a companion device for apps and media consumption. But its so difficult to transfer media to ios devices and of course the screen is small. Then this device came out and I think its perfect for my needs. I'm still on BlackBerry though because I'm still learning how to tame android. I'm not yet familiar on how everything works on this OS.

kevin_fan

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for answering questions. How's the screen in direct sunlight?

There's no problem with that. It's very usable. There's some reflections and maybe in the future I will try a matte screen protector. But I will think more about that because it will affect the clarity of the screen.

kevin_fan

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
Kevin, can you give an opinion about phone reception? Maybe if you notice a difference from your previous phone in a weak location, or this phone being weak in a previous strong location. Most reviews don't elaborate on this much. Thanks for any info.:)

I'm sorry but I can't elaborate that too. I live in Seoul and LTE is everywhere. There's also the network's wifi (where my phone gets connected automatically) in almost all building that I've been. I've never had problem about this yet and hopefully I wont have.

ajneuman

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I noticed a not so smooth animation when I press the recent apps key. I'm not sure if this is android or samsung or nova's fault but it's just a very very little annoyance. I'm from ios and BB10 and animations on that OS are almost perfect. But still, this device is so beautiful and perfect for media consumption.

Try disabling s-voice using the nova setting for gestures and buttons. You can also disable animations when you enable developer mode. (google it) that really helpd speed things up.

Posted via Android Central App

tartrate

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
That is a smexy looking phone! All the pictures white phones I've seen look absolutely beautiful and I think it enhances the display (some cognitive visual processing effect).

I also don't think it detracts in any way while viewing video either. You're usually immersed in the video not looking at the screen edges. Also I think maybe black might be more of a detractor for the eyes/mind as our brains are not naturally used to seeing really dark objects. And I think black objects actually very mildly (even subconsciously) turns on our stress system...think bats, panthers, dark/dangerous areas, etc. Also imagine having all black walls...

At least, this is how I can explain my current inability to like black phones.

tartrate

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Hmm... I actually do have a question to OP:

How does the phone feel in your pocket in terms of dimensions and heft? Do you ever feel that it is kind of heavy (drags down your pockets/pants) in your pockets?

kevin_fan

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
Hmm... I actually do have a question to OP:

How does the phone feel in your pocket in terms of dimensions and heft? Do you ever feel that it is kind of heavy (drags down your pockets/pants) in your pockets?

It's not heavy but it feels wide. I can't have it have it on my pocket while sitting on the couch or tying my shoelace.

tartrate

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
It's not heavy but it feels wide. I can't have it have it on my pocket while sitting on the couch or tying my shoelace.

I'm guessing you wear tight pants? It doesn't seem that much wider than a lot of popular phones out there.

How about with regular cut dress pants?

I'm glad it doesn't feel heavy.

canonBoy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
If you only need one reason to root, it's multi window functionally. Get the apps you actually use into your multiwindows. I probably won't even power my N4 on till root is available, i think I'd get too frustrated trying to use a device w/o root.

Formerly Known As

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
So far so good. Very impressive hardware. And the screen really is the main attraction. The only con that I have is on the UI. Everything was so big! I hope someday, Samsung can give the option to modify it or allow the apps to run in 7" tablet mode. I think that looks better. By the way, I never had a chance to use the default launcher because I installed Nova Launcher Prime from Day1. I'm really impressed with this device and I hope it will continue to do so as I use it. The chamfered edges makes the phone attractive. This is really a great media consumption device. Very easy to put in the pocket while having that very impressive screen.

Can you comment about the speaker quality? I know it's in the rear but other than that has there been any improvement at all?

kevin_fan

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
Can you comment about the speaker quality? I know it's in the rear but other than that has there been any improvement at all?

Don't expect anything special about the speakers here. BlackBerry's Q10 and Z30 are I think the best on this department. Even better than the M8. But the screen really compliments the minor shortcomings of this phone.

stanleybb50

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
What screen protector do you got on there? Looks like tempered glass, and I was worried how tempered glass would work with the curved edges of the screen.

But yours looks good! *If it is tempered glass.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone seen any that fit around the phone perfectly? By that I mean does not have the U-shaped cut out. I am kinda OCD about things like that and from reading reviews on Amazon some that look like they fit perfectly don't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa