Note 4 vs. Nexus 6

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Man oh man. Just when I was getting comfortable with the idea of snagging the Note 4 this Friday the nexus 6 VERIZON bomb was dropped.

I honestly didn't consider that there was even the slightest chance that big red was going to be packing the N6.

Spec wise, they are very comparable. Obviously the N6 will come with Lollipop. Pre-orders to begin by the end of Oct.?!?

Is anyone reconsidering their purchase of the Note 4 due to the reveal of the Nexus 6? Why? Why not?

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Like I stated in another thread...if the Nexus 6 had the same camera as the Droid Turbo, it might be a no brainer. Since there is no reviews yet of the camera on the Nexus 6, we can only assume that it's the same one as the Moto X, which is average. I see that they are offering a 64gb version this time which takes care of the storage issue.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Although being on AT&T, I've long known I could get the Nexus 6, I nevertheless went back and forth between it and the Note 4 for the longest time. In fact, I didn't even order the Note 4 until just over a week ago. Although I love Nexus and pure Android, several things convinced me to go for the Note 4.

First, I don't hate TouchWiz. I'm used to it and I even like it, and it's supposed to be better and smoother than ever.

Then there are all the gee-gaws you get with Samsung phones, from the flashlight widget to the infra-red, etc., etc.

Then of course there's the S-Pen -- I don't use it constantly, but it's one of those conveniences I'm loathe to give up (e.g., being able to suddenly take notes somewhere, and oddly enough most important all the damned lists I make when I go shopping at the grocery store, Home Depot, Costco, Target, wherever).

In addition, and this is particular to me, I have a Gear smartwatch, and I don't want to abandon it after less than a year or spend time trying to get it to work on a necessarily limited basis with the Nexus 4.

Finally, and this was the kicker, the Note 4's camera is supposed to be excellent. The Nexus 6 is being made by Motorola -- which has long had a deserved reputation for making the absolute worst smartphone cameras known to humankind. Potatoes take better pictures.

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Like I stated in another thread...if the Nexus 6 had the same camera as the Droid Turbo, it might be a no brainer. Since there is no reviews yet of the camera on the Nexus 6, we can only assume that it's the same one as the Moto X, which is average. I see that they are offering a 64gb version this time which takes care of the storage issue.

I read that the Nexus 6 will offer expandable storage..

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Although being on AT&T, I've long known I could get the Nexus 6, I nevertheless went back and forth between it and the Note 4 for the longest time. In fact, I didn't even order the Note 4 until just over a week ago. Although I love Nexus and pure Android, several things convinced me to go for the Note 4.

First, I don't hate TouchWiz. I'm used to it and I even like it, and it's supposed to be better and smoother than ever.

Then there are all the gee-gaws you get with Samsung phones, from the flashlight widget to the infra-red, etc., etc.

Then of course there's the S-Pen -- I don't use it constantly, but it's one of those conveniences I'm loathe to give up (e.g., being able to suddenly take notes somewhere, and oddly enough most important all the damned lists I make when I go shopping at the grocery store, Home Depot, Costco, Target, wherever).

In addition, and this is particular to me, I have a Gear smartwatch, and I don't want to abandon it after less than a year or spend time trying to get it to work on a necessarily limited basis with the Nexus 4.

Finally, and this was the kicker, the Note 4's camera is supposed to be excellent. The Nexus 6 is being made by Motorola -- which has long had a deserved reputation for making the absolute worst smartphone cameras known to humankind. Potatoes take better pictures.

Great points, the stylus is really dope. When I had the Note 3, I used the stylus way more than I thought i would.

clatus

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Wow $650? I got sucked into the "Nexus experience" with the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and subsequently upgraded to the Note 3.

Not going down that road again. I just feel like ROMing gets old and tiresome, the vanilla android experience gets boring. I found early updates to be overrated. I've been doing ROMing since the HTC incredible and it starts to become more novelty and a "hobby" than anything else. I prefer the Touchwiz experience on the Note, rooting it for full control, and leaving the ROM as is. Nexus just feels like you're settling so that you can have a "developer phone". Kind of like hipster swag.

Also, the Note really takes advantage of it's size with the s-pen and multitasking that no other phablet does.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
No sd slot makes Nexus no way for me. Games are getting too big to share storage with media and Android L hogs 20% more storage due to to file compression changes. $crew the cloud, especially with data caps- 2GB is nuts low. Pay money for data to use my OWN content on the cloud- no thanks and to heck with always having to be around wifi to access the cloud to use my OWN stuff.

I will gladly "accept" some bloat and have the sd slot. I can use NOVA and shut most of the bloat down. Bloat does not really take up much app storage anyway, so not worried about deleting it- just stopping it.

iamdld

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Well I am on Verizon where the Note is $699

w/ a 2 year contract im sure the Nexus 6 will be cheaper than the Note 4, well im actually not sure at all. But I think its a good guess

I currently have a Nexus 5, part of the appeal was being able to get such a powerful phone for a great price off contract. If I have to sign a contract to make the price appealing I would rather get a comparable or better phone with a better resale value and the Note 4 fits the bill.

Last edited:

livetoride4666

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

It is the same as the X, but with OIS. While ois is a great addition the camera will still be subpar, which is why I'm going with the note.

Posted via the Android Central App

ChrisS#AC

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
When I reviewed the spec I was surprised to see that WiFi call will be an OTA update later in 2015. This has been the reason I've always gone with Samsung phones and not Nexus. I'm on Tmo and get spotty service at home but through my WiFi its just fine.
Pre-ordered the Note 4 and it arrives Thur (tomorrow !!!) Yeah !!
BUT if people think the Note 4 is big, the Nexus 6 is even bigger, 159mm v 153mm for height, 82mm v 78mm for width and 10mm v 8.5 for thickness and weight well 184g v 176, now that's a handful.

xxx420

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
No way. I'm ditching a nexus 5 for the note 4. Having a nexus device only made me realize how much I miss my Samsung devices. Early updates and stock android are both over rated. I'll take Samsung and touch wiz any day.

Posted via Android Central App

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
The S Pen seals the deal for me. The Touch Wiz is supposed to be the most refined version yet and having used it on the S1 & S3 I'm used to it and like it.

droid747

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
When I heard the nexus 6 was going to work on verizon I was considering cancelling my note 4 preorder but after seeing the 650 off contract price I think I will either stay with the note 4 which will cost me 500 due to the Samsung promo or just keep my g3.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
It is the same as the X, but with OIS. While ois is a great addition the camera will still be subpar, which is why I'm going with the note.

The Nexus 6 camera is NOT the same as the Moto X. I was looking at the specs sheet earlier. While the camera is an upgrade over the Moto X, the Note 4 still blows it away.

The Moto X uses the 13 MP 1/3.06” Sony IMX135 sensor.
The Nexus 6 uses the 13 MP IMX214 Image Sensor with f/2.0 aperture.
The Note 4 uses the 16 MP 1/2.6" Sony IMX240 camera sensor with OIS f/2.2

Do some searches on these three sensors and you'll see a big difference in quality.