Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Smart Remote: Actually tried a piece of bloatware and love it!

Timico

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Smart Remote: Actually tried a piece of bloatware and love it!

My IR blaster works better than my actual remote control most times lol

Posted via the Android Central App

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Yeah...that's on me. Right in the thread title...but can't see thread title when reading the OP because I have new stuff at the top. Thanks!.

I am pretty sure it is Smart Remote. I agree it is a very useful app.

samboy

May 18, 2011
Visit site

This app is great, but its got me thinking about what else might be out there. Id love something that would mimic my Harmony One with the device list and Activities. Does anyone know of a more comprehensive solution that's out there? I've done a little searching, and nothing has that wow factor that I'm looking for.

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site

I installed Watch On by Samsung because that is what my Note 3 used for the remote. Let me tell you if you think Smart Remote is good, you need to try Watch On. It makes Smart Remote look like a beta release.

-Shawn
Noting the World One S-Pen at a Time

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

I installed Watch On by Samsung because that is what my Note 3 used for the remote. Let me tell you if you think Smart Remote is good, you need to try Watch On. It makes Smart Remote look like a beta release.

-Shawn
What is the difference? I have always disabled Watch On, assuming it was useless bloat.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

-Shawn
I didn't even think about installing watch on, glad I seen your post. Watch on works better for dish network. It gives me the buttons for guide and DVR, where the one that came with the note 4 did not give me those buttons.

And I think the IR blaster works a lot better on the note 4 then the note 3, that's great.

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
What is the difference? I have always disabled Watch On, assuming it was useless bloat.

Watch On ties in better to your guide, favorites, etc. that you setup on your own TV box. And it does a great job in suggesting shows you like. All you have to do to access the remote in watch on is click the little button.

Above all, I think the UI in Watch On is nicer and more refined. Smart Remote is more like the original Watch On app from a year ago. The new Watch On is awesome.

-Shawn

Kingb1186

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
How do you get rid of channels you don't want to see on guide on smart remote app. I checked all channels I like but others are still there. I know it's silly but just wondered if there is a way

Posted via Android Central App

Chris Lanier

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
i had this on my black note 4, i particularly liked that i could have the notification remote, which had a button to enter the full app. i changed to the white note 4 and the setup process and the notification remote looks totally different. i tried both downgrading and upgrading, but i cant get the button to enter the full app in the notification anymore. anyone have any ideas?

edit: looks like my remotes are missing most of their functions now too. Number keys completely gone, no dvr list button anymore :/ wtf?

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site

This app is great, but its got me thinking about what else might be out there. Id love something that would mimic my Harmony One with the device list and Activities. Does anyone know of a more comprehensive solution that's out there? I've done a little searching, and nothing has that wow factor that I'm looking for.

Harmony Smart Control - Remote for iPad, iPhone & Android - Logitech

samboy

May 18, 2011
Visit site

Thanks, but I was looking for something with a smaller footprint. Ive already got a Harmony One, 900, ps3 dongle, slingbox emitters, 4x4 HDMI matrix, 1x4 HDMI splitter, 3 to 1 HDMI switch, 2 IR repeater systems, and an RF repeater system (Im probably forgetting a few of them). Most of my components are smothered with ir emitters (granted they are all being accessed from one single location which is nice). I just want something that can send signals through my existing setup. Its already confusing enough to put it mildly.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Tried watch on as recommended. The only thing that was better was the ability to slide between pages. However I found that it was the slow. Felt like I was using the original galaxy. I find smart remote much quicker even if it's UI is a little less intuitive.

DarkUncle

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I tried both. Not sure which one I like best yet. However, both apps will not let me control volume on the blueray player. When pressing the volume button it defaults to the TV volume control instead of the blueray player. This is the only issue I have and it is a bit annoying because while the blueray is playing the TV volume is disabled as the sound is piped through the blueray player and its included speakers not the tv.

trusigma

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site

I couldn't get it to link with my TV. Now I'm disappointed that I didn't get it to work.

Hopefully the support email I sent will result in a solution.

I noticed that it wants to link to the TV. For those of us on DirecTV, it would be nice if it controlled the box. Seems to me that it would be easier for Peel to accomplish this, too. Is this available and I just didn't play with the settings enough?

I have directv and it works great for the box and the tv

new2thisyeah

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

-Shawn

Smart Remote actually kept jamming my receiver box but Samsung WatchOn worked like a charm.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

I have directv and it works great for the box and the tv

Yeah I sorted that out a few weeks ago. Also got the original issue with the TV sorted out with Peel Support. They were a little slow to respond, but the answer got me on track.