greenify

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
So I downloaded greenify to force close apps that were never shutting off. It ran ok for a few days but started causing issues today. Android central had errors and I couldn't open it at all. I finally just Uninstaller greenify. Is there any apps that won't use a ton of battery but will close up apps that get stuck running in the background?

Posted via the Android Central App

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm more concerned with my battery all of a sudden draining because of a random app stuck in the backround

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Don't bother. Android manages RAM perfectly by itself. Those apps do more harm than good.

Agreed in general, however Greenify is awesome. I notice no issues at all with it. It does NOT clear the memory cache of an APP. Its a process manager, Not a memory manager. It has put approx 30-50% more battery life on my device.

Using Battery Widget Reborn as my measuring tool..It measures battery life as minutes per 1% of battery.

When I first got the Note 4 I was getting 6-7 minutes per 1% of battery. I was satisfied, but was able to tweak the device to hit 8 minutes. I installed greenify a few days later, and I am consistently getting 11-13 minutes per 1% of battery. I absolutely refuse to cripple my device to save battery, I am not nuts, and do not turn off GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi, widgets, email syncing, and I even keep 2 chat messengers running at all times.

Of course your exact mileage may vary, but the benefits should seem clear.

I work 12+ hour days and use the device screen on 3 or more hours during that time, and never sweat battery life. By the time I get to my car I typically have 30-40% minimum remaining.

As a side note, turning off Google Now, and "OK Google" detection on every screen also added about 1 minute per 1% of battery use, So under "normal" use for me, I am getting 12-14% per 1%. (Screen on time is factored into that number)

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Agreed in general, however Greenify is awesome. I notice no issues at all with it. It does NOT clear the memory cache of an APP. Its a process manager, Not a memory manager. It has put approx 30-50% more battery life on my device.

Using Battery Widget Reborn as my measuring tool..It measures battery life as minutes per 1% of battery.

When I first got the Note 4 I was getting 6-7 minutes per 1% of battery. I was satisfied, but was able to tweak the device to hit 8 minutes. I installed greenify a few days later, and I am consistently getting 11-13 minutes per 1% of battery. I absolutely refuse to cripple my device to save battery, I am not nuts, and do not turn off GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi, widgets, email syncing, and I even keep 2 chat messengers running at all times.

Of course your exact mileage may vary, but the benefits should seem clear.

I work 12+ hour days and use the device screen on 3 or more hours during that time, and never sweat battery life. By the time I get to my car I typically have 30-40% minimum remaining.

As a side note, turning off Google Now, and "OK Google" detection on every screen also added about 1 minute per 1% of battery use, So under "normal" use for me, I am getting 12-14% per 1%. (Screen on time is factored into that number)

Are you rooted? To get the most from Greenify, I thought you had to be rooted. I have Greenify on an unrooted N3 and don't see a lot of improvement.

Posted via Android Central App

sbhatia1981

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Are you rooted? To get the most from Greenify, I thought you had to be rooted. I have Greenify on an unrooted N3 and don't see a lot of improvement.

I am not rooted but donated so i can hibernate the system apps too, plus 1 on battery increase, i make sure no app is running in background specially FB , you can add shortcut for hibernate +lock screen so when i am finished, i just launch that and it kills all processes and turn off the screen.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I am not rooted but donated so i can hibernate the system apps too, plus 1 on battery increase, i make sure no app is running in background specially FB , you can add shortcut for hibernate +lock screen so when i am finished, i just launch that and it kills all processes and turn off the screen.

I tried the system apps thing, but it warned me not to... is that just a warning I should carefully ignore?

No I'm not rooted, but it works great. You do some settings in the accessibility menu, and it will do the hibernate automatically. (It walks you through the settings) About 2- 3 minutes after I turn off my screen, it turns back on by its self for a second, does it's thing, and then the screen turns off again. Normally I don't even see it since its on my hip when it does it.

Yes, as for system apps, Facebook, Gmail (now that I use inbox) and SHeatlh I want to kill. It's also always working the ATT Wifi locations, and a few other worthless things to me, and I would like to shut them down.

... Edit... I reactivated Google Now. I really do like it, and with the new Google calaner running, and making it so easy to put in locations for events, then Google Now reads them and give great travel time updates, I just couldn't live without it. But I am still getting 11 minutes per 1% of battery life... very, acceptable. On my Note 2, I have the 10,000 mah battery and loved that I could ignore battery life and just use my phone as I wanted to without thinking about it. Using greenify, I have dialed my Note 4 into a sweet spot where I can do the same thing with the stock battery. Mix in Lollipop and any battery improvements there and wow!

Blipstein

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I recently downloaded this app as well. Haven't spent much time in it yet. I put a bunch of the listed running apps in hibernation but other than that I do not know the extent of what this app can really do. Lots of settings. I hope to catch whatever I can in this thread.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I recently downloaded this app as well. Haven't spent much time in it yet. I put a bunch of the listed running apps in hibernation but other than that I do not know the extent of what this app can really do. Lots of settings. I hope to catch whatever I can in this thread.

Its very simple, assuming your NOT rooted, set up Automated Hibernation (4.1+) under experimental features. Then hit the + button at the bottom of the main screen. then select show more apps in the next screen.

After that select any app that you don't need to do its work automatically. For example, DO NOT select things like clock (your alarms won't work) or SMS (you won't get text messages). DO select games, and other programs that you only need when YOU select them and run them. They will work 100% the same for you, you won't notice any difference. They just won't run in the background. They are still in memory, and still load just as fast, and can be selected from the recent apps menu, left minimized (if they are multiwindow compatible). You would be amazed at the junk running in the background. I leave weather apps (so I can get severe weather alerts),and the calendar, and Textra (sms), Yahoo messenger, skype, hangouts and a very few others running. Everything else goes to nap. You need the apps to work when YOU tell them to, and greenify allows that easily. (You know how people say that the number of apps you have on your phone effects your battery life... greenify basically solves that problem, after all why should a game I only play once a week be eating a single second off my battery when I am not using it?)

Depending on how much I install on my phone, I recheck it once in a while to see if I need to add more to the hibernation list. Otherwise its nearly invisible.

The one short coming of being non-rooted, is that often, when I unlock my device, I have a screen showing sometimes with the app info that it stopped, rather than the home screen. A single press of the home button takes me right to my home screen. So no big deal.

Also, I have never used a device that was so stable. I can't remember the last time I had a unresponsive program that crashed. I reboot the phone every 3 or 4 days, mostly out of habit. Otherwise its rock solid.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site

What's FB? I didn't know that the Greenify experimental features, such as hibernating system apps, in the donate version would work with an unrooted phone. Doesn't it automatically hibernate even without that shortcut? It does for me but I don't have the donate version that you say works with system apps. Do you need that shortcut for the system apps?

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

I don't use any battery management or RAM management apps and that is about the same as the battery life I get out of mine. Android does a great job of this without help typically. I have tried them in the past but anymore I don't get any benefit from them.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Getting this message?

Means that you are using a pin or finger print to lock your phone, so greenify can't run automatically. I just use swipe to unlock, for me its enough.

I don't use any battery management or RAM management apps and that is about the same as the battery life I get out of mine. Android does a great job of this without help typically. I have tried them in the past but anymore I don't get any benefit from them.

Your milage may vary. I disagree with the management. Any app can request to stay active, and any app can misbehave and cause a wakelock. Android system tries to do the best it can to be availible to everyone in every circumstance, greenify lets you personalize this interaction. Some people love to get a notification from Candy Crush that they have a life ready to use... I don't. Android will allow Candy crush (or any other app) to do this... I'd rather select it myself. As for memory management, you are absolutely right.

I tested my phone, with my setup with and without greenify. I found in my situation, there was a difference, and it was noticeable. Your situation may differ.

What's FB? I didn't know that the Greenify experimental features, such as hibernating system apps, in the donate version would work with an unrooted phone. Doesn't it automatically hibernate even without that shortcut? It does for me but I don't have the donate version that you say works with system apps. Do you need that shortcut for the system apps?

Nope, just add the system apps, and go through the caution for each one, and then let it run. Worked for me.

FB = Facebook.. .a prime example of a app that Android's system does not do a good job controlling.... no matter how you set it, it runs wild. I have it on 4 devices, from different manufacturers, Nexus, HTC and Samsung, and it is a battery eater on all of them. Most likely the number 1 largest battery eater. If you don't need it, then why let it eat your battery.

sbhatia1981

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Getting this message?

You can either set no security or create hibernate lock screen shortcut, just click on when you done instead of pressing the lock button, it will hibernate the apps and lock screen.

I use shortcut as I also use fingerprint scanner.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site

Blipstein

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Its very simple, assuming your NOT rooted, set up Automated Hibernation (4.1+) under experimental features. Then hit the + button at the bottom of the main screen. then select show more apps in the next screen.

After that select any app that you don't need to do its work automatically. For example, DO NOT select things like clock (your alarms won't work) or SMS (you won't get text messages). DO select games, and other programs that you only need when YOU select them and run them. They will work 100% the same for you, you won't notice any difference. They just won't run in the background. They are still in memory, and still load just as fast, and can be selected from the recent apps menu, left minimized (if they are multiwindow compatible). You would be amazed at the junk running in the background. I leave weather apps (so I can get severe weather alerts),and the calendar, and Textra (sms), Yahoo messenger, skype, hangouts and a very few others running. Everything else goes to nap. You need the apps to work when YOU tell them to, and greenify allows that easily. (You know how people say that the number of apps you have on your phone effects your battery life... greenify basically solves that problem, after all why should a game I only play once a week be eating a single second off my battery when I am not using it?)

Depending on how much I install on my phone, I recheck it once in a while to see if I need to add more to the hibernation list. Otherwise its nearly invisible.

The one short coming of being non-rooted, is that often, when I unlock my device, I have a screen showing sometimes with the app info that it stopped, rather than the home screen. A single press of the home button takes me right to my home screen. So no big deal.

Also, I have never used a device that was so stable. I can't remember the last time I had a unresponsive program that crashed. I reboot the phone every 3 or 4 days, mostly out of habit. Otherwise its rock solid.

Thanks for this. Very helpful. Gonna give it a shot

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Means that you are using a pin or finger print to lock your phone, so greenify can't run automatically. I just use swipe to unlock, for me its enough.

Your milage may vary. I disagree with the management. Any app can request to stay active, and any app can misbehave and cause a wakelock. Android system tries to do the best it can to be availible to everyone in every circumstance, greenify lets you personalize this interaction. Some people love to get a notification from Candy Crush that they have a life ready to use... I don't. Android will allow Candy crush (or any other app) to do this... I'd rather select it myself. As for memory management, you are absolutely right.

I tested my phone, with my setup with and without greenify. I found in my situation, there was a difference, and it was noticeable. Your situation may differ.

Nope, just add the system apps, and go through the caution for each one, and then let it run. Worked for me.

FB = Facebook.. .a prime example of a app that Android's system does not do a good job controlling.... no matter how you set it, it runs wild. I have it on 4 devices, from different manufacturers, Nexus, HTC and Samsung, and it is a battery eater on all of them. Most likely the number 1 largest battery eater. If you don't need it, then why let it eat your battery.

Which of the system apps must you leave alone?
I don't know what a lot of them are doing. Could disabling the wrong one,, keep your phone from waking up?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo