01-18-2015 06:25 PM
112 1234 ...
tools
    I used Google Wallet for a long time on my Note 2 and actually Prefer it to Softcard. With my Note 3, I begrudgingly had to use Softcard. I've had no problems with either app so far. Since I already was using Softcard on my N3, just used Softcard on my Note 4. I can add money instantaneously on SoftCard also.

Tonight I just added Google Wallet to my Note 4 after reading it's possible to use Tap and Pay on this phone with Wallet. I do prefer it actually, but after loading it and seeing it's charging a Fee now to add money to my Wallet Balance, I'm deciding to stick with Softcard. I don't remember having that fee before and remember reading it on some of the reviews on the Wallet app in the playstore. Along with people saying that now with Google Wallet, it takes a few days to get money added to the balance. That may just be people just starting with Wallet, since I saw if I wanted to add $10 and didn't seem like it wouldn't be instantaneous. Although the .30 cent fee, was a turn off. So not sure if I want Google Wallet Now. At least with Softcard, if you use it enough, you get some money back and I don't recall any transfer fees on Softcard..
    11-12-2014 02:09 AM
    ^^^ This is what I'm referring to. There really are advantages and disadvantages of using both forms of mobile payments. That's why eliminating one doesn't seem right. And to be perfectly honest it seems to be the antithesis of Android and Google. I thought it was all about choice, options, customization, tailoring your device and services to meet your needs so your smartphone experience is individualized and not uniform. I personally like having a choice in mobile payment systems. And I'm not convinced that defaulting to one standard is necessary to drive the mobile payments system forward. Of course I could be mistaken, I just don't see it the way some of the above posters do.

Scribbled from the mighty pen of my Galaxy Note 4!
    11-12-2014 05:21 AM
    ^^^ This is what I'm referring to. There really are advantages and disadvantages of using both forms of mobile payments. That's why eliminating one doesn't seem right. And to be perfectly honest it seems to be the antithesis of Android and Google. I thought it was all about choice, options, customization, tailoring your device and services to meet your needs so your smartphone experience is individualized and not uniform. I personally like having a choice in mobile payment systems. And I'm not convinced that defaulting to one standard is necessary to drive the mobile payments system forward. Of course I could be mistaken, I just don't see it the way some of the above posters do.

While each might have its advantages.... Supporting both is folly. Both Are having little traction in usage. Eliminating 1 will make having the 1 left survive. I predict both as it is keeping on pace of having nobody yet apple pay becoming the nfc payment of choice

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    11-12-2014 09:20 AM
    While each might have its advantages.... Supporting both is folly. Both Are having little traction in usage. Eliminating 1 will make having the 1 left survive. I predict both as it is keeping on pace of having nobody yet apple pay becoming the nfc payment of choice

I don't see how that's possible.

11-12-2014 09:23 AM
    I don't see how that's possible.

It's happening right now as it is.... Neither are gaining much ground and yet apple pay is gaining traction way faster then it took Google wallet which is due to the carriers blocking and promoting isis or now softcard

11-12-2014 09:25 AM
    It's happening right now as it is.... Neither are gaining much ground and yet apple pay is gaining traction way faster then it took Google wallet which is due to the carriers blocking and promoting isis or now softcard

But the carriers aren't blocking Google wallet. And the stores aren't blocking just Google wallet, they are blocking Apple Pay as well. Am I wrong?

11-12-2014 09:27 AM
    But the carriers aren't blocking Google wallet. And the stores aren't blocking just Google wallet, they are blocking Apple Pay as well. Am I wrong?

Google wallet isn't being blocked because Google found a way to bypass it but it would still if carriers had a say. They both are being blocked along with softcard because they want to promote yet another system currentc and ignoring the privacy violations I think that system has is another system. If we backed Google wallet in the start we might if never had this issue and Google wallet might be everywhere now.

Simply a monopoly on a nfc payment is a good thing in this case Imo. You simply want the most amount of people using nfc payments and for either to grow one needs to disappear Imo.

Let's take world War 2 for example and Germany or even napoleon in France. If Germany only focused on Russia or Britain we might of had a different outcome. Same goes with napoleon. If he didn't try to fight a war on 2 fronts Europe could of been very different possibly.

11-12-2014 09:34 AM
    Ok, but then how is that achieved? If I go into AT&T today and purchase a smartphone that has the capability of tap and pay what would the salesrep tell me? When I look at the apps on my phone, what app is preinstalled? So how are we as consumers supposed to drive Google wallet? Even if we want to, how do we become champions of Google wallet?

11-12-2014 10:45 AM
    Ok, but then how is that achieved? If I go into AT&T today and purchase a smartphone that has the capability of tap and pay what would the salesrep tell me? When I look at the apps on my phone, what app is preinstalled? So how are we as consumers supposed to drive Google wallet? Even if we want to, how do we become champions of Google wallet?

By installing Google wallet ?

See that's also the other issue don't give me apps I don't want lol. To bad I prefer the note over nexus 6 camera from what I've seen or else I would get a nexus 6

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    11-12-2014 10:59 AM
    By installing Google wallet ?

See that's also the other issue don't give me apps I don't want lol. To bad I prefer the note over nexus 6 camera from what I've seen or else I would get a nexus 6

Lol. I know you can install it. But for the average consumer, they aren't going to know to install Google Wallet. But guess what is installed? And guess what's going to be pushed by the salesperson? And if you sign-up for the serve card that works with the Soft card app you get $50 to spend. I wonder what service for mobile payments the average consumer is going to choose?

11-12-2014 11:06 AM
    Lol. I know you can install it. But for the average consumer, they aren't going to know to install Google Wallet. But guess what is installed? And guess what's going to be pushed by the salesperson? And if you sign-up for the serve card that works with the Soft card app you get $50 to spend. I wonder what service for mobile payments the average consumer is going to choose?

That itself is the problem ....sprint is the only one promoting Google wallet and isn't part of softcard. Carriers should of never promoted softcard and go with Google wallet at the start but they wanted more control and violating our privacy even more. Thank god I left t-mobile because they have carrier iq on their phones

11-12-2014 11:09 AM
    Apple Pay is much easier to use than either Google Wallet or Softcard because all you have to do is tap the phone and insert your finger in the fingerprint scanner. I used Google Wallet a couple of times and it takes longer than swiping a credit card so I see zero advantage to using either wallet in place of swiping a card. You certainly aren't going to be without your credit card(s) as the vast majority of businesses don't have NFC readers so using any kind of mobile wallet isn't a choice. That's why adoption of mobile wallets has been so dismal, there's no advantage to the consumer in using them except in the case of Apple Pay because it doesn't transmit your actual credit card # it uses a token. In their present state I rate both Google Wallet & Softcard as big fails.
    kittenphelia and callhd like this.
    11-12-2014 03:14 PM
    Apple Pay is much easier to use than either Google Wallet or Softcard because all you have to do is tap the phone and insert your finger in the fingerprint scanner. I used Google Wallet a couple of times and it takes longer than swiping a credit card so I see zero advantage to using either wallet in place of swiping a card. You certainly aren't going to be without your credit card(s) as the vast majority of businesses don't have NFC readers so using any kind of mobile wallet isn't a choice. That's why adoption of mobile wallets has been so dismal, there's no advantage to the consumer in using them except in the case of Apple Pay because it doesn't transmit your actual credit card # it uses a token. In their present state I rate both Google Wallet & Softcard as big fails.
    I think the advantage of mobile payments over regular credit cards is the idea that one day your entire wallet can be replaced by your phone and mobile payments is one of the components where they are starting.

11-12-2014 03:18 PM
    That could only happen if every place you use a credit card could accept NFC payments and that will not be the case for decades if ever. Most businesses do not see any need to pay for an NFC card reader and as I already said, it takes more time to use Google Wallet than it does to swipe a card. So both the customers and the businesses don't see any advantage to mobile wallet/NFC payment acceptance. A lot of people do not want to enter their credit card info on their phones.
    11-12-2014 03:27 PM
    That could only happen if every place you use a credit card could accept NFC payments and that will not be the case for decades if ever. Most businesses do not see any need to pay for an NFC card reader and as I already said, it takes more time to use Google Wallet than it does to swipe a card. So both the customers and the businesses don't see any advantage to mobile wallet/NFC payment acceptance. A lot of people do not want to enter their credit card info on their phones.
    That's understandable. And I too don't believe that's going to happen. But, I do think that was the vision.

kevinpleasants likes this.
    11-12-2014 03:28 PM
    There's cards that I leave at home and use on a rare moon to keep active . Using Google wallet with those cards are a lot easier then changing ,y cards around

11-12-2014 03:40 PM
    They're already being forced to replace all their terminals to support chip+PIN, why not add NFC with those new terminals also?
    Is The US Finally Accelerating A Move To Chip And Pin? - Forbes

I agree that supporting ONE system would allow that ONE system to grow quicker as the results would be visible quicker. I would be a supporter of Wallet except for the way it charges transactions to a credit card, as a Google transaction rather than direct to the merchant. While this is nice for online purchases when dealing with a new vendor, when you get card benefits tied to the type of transaction or the retailer it occurred at, you lose those benefits when the charge is not billed as being from the retailer directly. Softcard supports mobile payments and apparently charges direct as the retailer, which is a point in its favor.

I see this is in the Note 4 forum, maybe it's more of a discussion for a general section as it does apply to Android in general?
    11-12-2014 07:44 PM
    Those that replace their terminals will get NFC capable ones but there is no mandate forcing replacement of existing terminals. It is at the option of the business. It will be a very long time into the future before smartphones replace credit cards if it ever happens. Neither consumers or businesses see an advantage which is why mobile wallets have gained so little traction.
    11-12-2014 08:22 PM
    They're already being forced to replace all their terminals to support chip+PIN, why not add NFC with those new terminals also?
    Is The US Finally Accelerating A Move To Chip And Pin? - Forbes

I agree that supporting ONE system would allow that ONE system to grow quicker as the results would be visible quicker. I would be a supporter of Wallet except for the way it charges transactions to a credit card, as a Google transaction rather than direct to the merchant. While this is nice for online purchases when dealing with a new vendor, when you get card benefits tied to the type of transaction or the retailer it occurred at, you lose those benefits when the charge is not billed as being from the retailer directly. Softcard supports mobile payments and apparently charges direct as the retailer, which is a point in its favor.

I see this is in the Note 4 forum, maybe it's more of a discussion for a general section as it does apply to Android in general?
    US is supporting chip and signature not chip and pin like the rest of the world.... Maybe they don't want to pay the fees for nfc payments?

11-12-2014 10:10 PM
    What small businesses don't want to pay for is upgrading their terminals to accommodate either chip pin/signature or NFC. They don't see the advantage to either. Small businesses are a whole different ball game from large nationwide chains. And that is why you will not see widespread ability to process NFC/mobile wallet transactions.
    11-13-2014 11:13 AM
    Well I found out I need to make a new account since I changed carriers and that's the nail on the coffin for softcard for me....

11-13-2014 11:55 AM
    What small businesses don't want to pay for is upgrading their terminals to accommodate either chip pin/signature or NFC. They don't see the advantage to either. Small businesses are a whole different ball game from large nationwide chains. And that is why you will not see widespread ability to process NFC/mobile wallet transactions.
    Actually it is the merchant services companies (card processing services) and banks that provide these machines that are dragging their feet. Most SMBs are at the mercy of their MSC when it comes to the machines. They can walk in and tell them "this machine is EOL, you need a new one" and make them upgrade it. Most MSCs don't do it that way, though. They don't want to spend the money on the infrastructure right now. They are content to roll the dice every day that their decades old security protocol won't be the next data breach victim.
    11-13-2014 12:04 PM
    Actually it is the merchant services companies (card processing services) and banks that provide these machines that are dragging their feet. Most SMBs are at the mercy of their MSC when it comes to the machines. They can walk in and tell them "this machine is EOL, you need a new one" and make them upgrade it. Most MSCs don't do it that way, though. They don't want to spend the money on the infrastructure right now. They are content to roll the dice every day that their decades old security protocol won't be the next data breach victim.
    What you're saying is not at all correct. The delay in EMV adoption has been caused by the banks that issue the credit cards. How many chip cards do you have? I don't have a single one. That is because of the cost to the bank to issue those cards. From a business's standpoint odds are in most cases they need to buy a new terminal if they want one capable of processing EMV card transactions. Neither banks or credit card processors are likely to provide new terminals at no cost to existing clients. Some processors will provide a terminal at no charge to a new client but the majority of terminals in use were paid for by the business. The only advantage to a business using an EMV capable terminal after October 2015 is they bear no liability in cases of fraud and for most small businesses credit card present fraud is not a problem thus they do not see a reason to pay for an EMV capable terminal. Mobile wallets are such a tiny fraction of card present transactions they aren't a viable reason for a small business to be able to accept them. My company's core business is credit card processing and I am very familiar with the subject.
    11-13-2014 08:50 PM
    Yes and no. Many new machines being issued now are compatible. The MSCs will generally provide the machines "free" or at subsidized cost with contract renewal, much like mobile phone carriers do with phones.

You are correct, the card issuers also play a role in dragging their feet adopting the better security measures.
    11-13-2014 08:58 PM
    What you're saying is not at all correct. The delay in EMV adoption has been caused by the banks that issue the credit cards. How many chip cards do you have? I don't have a single one. That is because of the cost to the bank to issue those cards. From a business's standpoint odds are in most cases they need to buy a new terminal if they want one capable of processing EMV card transactions. Neither banks or credit card processors are likely to provide new terminals at no cost to existing clients. Some processors will provide a terminal at no charge to a new client but the majority of terminals in use were paid for by the business. The only advantage to a business using an EMV capable terminal after October 2015 is they bear no liability in cases of fraud and for most small businesses credit card present fraud is not a problem thus they do not see a reason to pay for an EMV capable terminal. Mobile wallets are such a tiny fraction of card present transactions they aren't a viable reason for a small business to be able to accept them. My company's core business is credit card processing and I am very familiar with the subject.
    Half of my cards have emv chips in them

11-13-2014 09:06 PM
112 1234 ...