Google Wallet or Softcard?

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
It wasn't their computer system holding the data but the magnetic strip readers. Fairly common and not targeting the US since Europe has gone EMV chips

NFC at least how apple implementation of if in Apple pay works really good in theory since their not giving your cc information but another number

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

If you're talking about the Target Data breach, that is absolutely false.

The hackers got the data by breaching their network first. (By stealing the User ID/Password the HVAC vendor used to access their network, of all things). They then installed malware on the network that pulled the POS data from the payment systems.

They never had to get to the card readers themselves, they were deep inside the network itself.

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I read an article about that. The way I understood it was the Google Wallet wasn't going to be supported by online retailers anymore. ...

Here's an article about that. I don't think it means the end of Google Wallet:
Google to Deactivate Wallet API for Digital Goods
Nov 13, 2014, 4:12 PM by Eric M. Zeman

Google today alerted developers that it will cease to offer the Google Wallet for Digital Goods API in March 2015. The API has for several years let online goods purveyors accept Google Wallet for payment. Google originally provided the API to make it easier for people to buy and sell digital goods online. Google said the online payments landscape has changed enough since the API's release that it no feels the need to offer it. Google is asking developers to strip their apps of Google Wallet and find alternate sources of payment processing. Users of Google Wallet will be able to make payments via Wallet until March 2. Developers have until then to find other providers and cease calling on the API. The functionality of Google Wallet should not change for most people.
more at Google » / TechCrunch »

damink23

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
For me Softcard is much safer than swiping. After I entered my AMEX info, it now sends a dummy CC number. If that number is compromised, I dont have to get a new card. If I swiped and the terminal was compromised, then I would need to get a new CC, and all that hassle. I am hoping more stores hop on the Tap and Pay craze and enable it.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
starting to see that Softcard has a lot of incentives attached to it. Just got an email that if I tap and pay like 5 times I get cash back. That's pretty cool.

Nothing but Note! A little rim, some backboard, but mostly Note!

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I used Google Wallet for a long time on my Note 2 and actually Prefer it to Softcard. With my Note 3, I begrudgingly had to use Softcard. I've had no problems with either app so far. Since I already was using Softcard on my N3, just used Softcard on my Note 4. I can add money instantaneously on SoftCard also.

Tonight I just added Google Wallet to my Note 4 after reading it's possible to use Tap and Pay on this phone with Wallet. I do prefer it actually, but after loading it and seeing it's charging a Fee now to add money to my Wallet Balance, I'm deciding to stick with Softcard. I don't remember having that fee before and remember reading it on some of the reviews on the Wallet app in the playstore. Along with people saying that now with Google Wallet, it takes a few days to get money added to the balance. That may just be people just starting with Wallet, since I saw if I wanted to add $10 and didn't seem like it wouldn't be instantaneous. Although the .30 cent fee, was a turn off. So not sure if I want Google Wallet Now. At least with Softcard, if you use it enough, you get some money back and I don't recall any transfer fees on Softcard..

With Google Wallet, do you have to preload cash into Google Wallet to make it work? In other words, in my Google Wallet, I have my credit cards and debit cards. The balance on the my Google Wallet card reads $0.00. My thought was that when I use the Tap and Pay, it will just pull the money from one of the credit cards or debit cards to make the purchase. Is this correct or incorrect? I used SoftPay with great reluctance because I have to constantly load the AmEx Self serve account to pay for stuff which makes it hard for me to track expenses.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
With Google Wallet, do you have to preload cash into Google Wallet to make it work? In other words, in my Google Wallet, I have my credit cards and debit cards. The balance on the my Google Wallet card reads $0.00. My thought was that when I use the Tap and Pay, it will just pull the money from one of the credit cards or debit cards to make the purchase. Is this correct or incorrect? I used SoftPay with great reluctance because I have to constantly load the AmEx Self serve account to pay for stuff which makes it hard for me to track expenses.

You don't have to do that with either. Using soft card I just have my American Express serve card linked to my bank and it just pulls from that. The same with Google wallet. Once you put in your debit or credit card, it just pulls from that.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
You don't have to do that with either. Using soft card I just have my American Express serve card linked to my bank and it just pulls from that. The same with Google wallet. Once you put in your debit or credit card, it just pulls from that.

So i don't have to preload either Softcard or Google Wallet? So, I wonder why Google Wallet would not work for me? Softcard works on my Note 3 but I tried to get Google Wallet to work at Walgreens and the lights flashed on their machine, my phone beeped but, nothing happened.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
So i don't have to preload either Softcard or Google Wallet? So, I wonder why Google Wallet would not work for me? Softcard works on my Note 3 but I tried to get Google Wallet to work at Walgreens and the lights flashed on their machine, my phone beeped but, nothing happened.

That's weird. Maybe their register wasn't working properly.

Stephen Martino

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Google Wallet will not work on the Note 3. For some reason the Note 3 had the wrong type of NFC chip. Google Wallet works just fine with the Note 4 and the Note Edge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

joediver

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I didn't realize Target has a run on magnetic strips. I was under the impression their computer system was hacked... In which case the form of payment wouldn't matter much, would it? If your information was in their system, you had a problem. I'm not sure how NFC would be more secure in that case.

Sooner or later some inventive young person is going to created a program that hacks your phone and spills all it's NFC data... You can't hack the card in my pocket.

Unless you are using an RFID wallet anyone can hack the cards in your wallet

Posted via Android Central App

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I figured it might be an issue with Google Wallet after speaking with Google about it. They assured me that my Google wallet was set up correctly. So, I decided to try it at my local Subway where the Softcard worked every time. This time, I did not build a line so, I tried on several occasions to get it to work on my device. It kept telling me that it was not getting a response back from my Note 3. So, I then re-installed the Softcard app and it worked with that. So, for some reason, the Google Wallet app does not work.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Google Wallet will not work on the Note 3. For some reason the Note 3 had the wrong type of NFC chip. Google Wallet works just fine with the Note 4 and the Note Edge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

I seem to remember hearing about that but, I thought it was fixed in 4.4.4. I guess it did not

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I haven't selected Google Wallet or Softcard . . . yet. I'm really looking for a solution to pay at the pump at gas stations. My credit card has been cloned about four times in the last year. It's a huge hassle changing credit card numbers every three or four months. Credit card skimmers are common and gas pumps are a popular target. I pay for gas by swiping my card at the register, but I miss the convenience of paying at the pump. NFC payments are fine. So are EMV cards. I just want something other than a card swipe which is easy to capture.

On EMV cards, I just got my first one from AMEX. I had to call and ask for one (I didn't know they were available). It was quick and easy. AMEX issued the card, and my exisiting card stayed active until the new one arrived. According to the phone agent, AMEX is transitioning to EMV as cards expire and are re-issued. However, if you ask, they will send you an EMV card now. I am contacting my other banks to ascertain the avaialbility of EMV cards. Also, media reports suggest that starting Oct 2015, card issuers may hold merchants accountable for fraudulent purchases if EMV is not used. Maybe. Maybe not. I suggest that EMV adoption will pick up quickly over the next year.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Starting in October 2015 card issuers are definitely switching the liability for card present fraud to the business if they don't have EMV compatible equipment but for self dispensing fuel pumps the date is I believe 2 years later because there is a lot more involved with switching fuel pumps to EMV compatibility.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Forgot my wallet at home today.Thank goodness I had my Note and Soft card. Was able to at least get lunch at McDonalds and get some stuff from Walgreens and get some gas.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Here's an article about that. I don't think it means the end of Google Wallet:
Google to Deactivate Wallet API for Digital Goods
Nov 13, 2014, 4:12 PM by Eric M. Zeman

Google today alerted developers that it will cease to offer the Google Wallet for Digital Goods API in March 2015. The API has for several years let online goods purveyors accept Google Wallet for payment. Google originally provided the API to make it easier for people to buy and sell digital goods online. Google said the online payments landscape has changed enough since the API's release that it no feels the need to offer it. Google is asking developers to strip their apps of Google Wallet and find alternate sources of payment processing. Users of Google Wallet will be able to make payments via Wallet until March 2. Developers have until then to find other providers and cease calling on the API. The functionality of Google Wallet should not change for most people.
more at Google » / TechCrunch »

I had heard something about that I guess after March 2, that will be it for us being able to use Google Wallet. I really do not see a point in trying to get it to work at this point.

Just heard that Apple Pay wants to extend their services beyond the pay process and offer the ability to order stuff online and pick it up at the store. So, if you are interested in Starbucks, you would pay and order your coffee online and it will give you an estimated time of when its ready. Then all you need to do is pick it up. Pretty impressive. Don't understand why Google would be getting out of this business. Seems like its prime to stay in right now. It only makes sense, or at least to me, that Google would offer a turnkey service like Apple does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickness54