Weak Signal (Verizon)

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Just picked up a Note 4 today and traded in my Note 3. Anyone else having an issue where signal strength is not as good as the old Note 3? My wife still has the Note 3 and side by side there is like a 10-15dbm difference between the two. I tried a web search and found a couple of mentions about it being that way but not much. Figured I'd ask here to see what the community has to say.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Weak Signal

Verizon both devices. Ive read i think maybe two things i found on the web about it and they said they tried a few and they were all lower than the note 3. Wondered if anyone here is experiencing the same thing.

May 3, 2013
Visit site

i have experience this also with the Verizon version that i bought from best buy. i exchanged it twice and it still weak Signal and 4g goes out many times this not supposed to happen we have Verizon wireless LOL. i tired my same sim on another back up phones i have and they always have 4g but my note 4 has always issues with keeping 4g on + weak Signal.

i believe the Verizon note 4 have week antennas compare to the AT&t (Korea Made) + Tmobile (Vietnam Made)

exdrinker

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site

My experience is the exact opposite. The Note 4 is a significant improvement to both the 2 and 3. Call quality and reception is night and day difference. I am on Verizon.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Odd that it seems such a wide difference. My quality so far is ok. I havent talked to but a few. But signal strength took a hit

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

The signal when on the same frequency should be very similar on both phones. Now if one phone is on XLTE and one phone is on 700MHz especially indoors then a 10-15dbm difference is about normal. Which is why I asked what frequency before.

Also, how is it in speed tests? I have had situations where a phone can have a 10dbm worse signal but much faster speeds, due to different frequency . Personally, I prefer much faster speeds even if it means a weaker signal

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site

I have the same on mine. I don't have as good a signal as on my N3, but that was on AT&T. When I had my Note 2 on Verizon, getting about the same on my Note 4. So for me it's just worse on Verizon. I get 4 bars usually and no problems with getting LTE and sometimes as low as 1 or 2 bars at home, but still LTE and no dropped calls or internet. I'm just ignoring it like I did on my N2. It just gets me ticked that Verizon advertises these super fast XLTE speeds and better coverage, and I've never noticed that with my N4. I got the same speeds on my Note 2 which wasn't an XLTE phone if I remember right. I'm in a 4GLTE area with XLTE capabilities too. It's fine though, the speeds I get aren't slow.

It's Verizon though, so since I refuse to pay what AT&T wants for the Note 4, I'm going to see what my Data usage is next month. If it's high, I'm going to either try My Verizon N4 on T-Mobile where I can get more or Unlimited Data for almost the same price as the next Data package up on Verizon, or Sell my Verizon N4 and get a N4 on T-Mobile. Hopefully I will have less data usage next month and will just stay with Verizon.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Not sure about the freq. It only says LTE as far as in the status. Other than that is there some way to see what band its riding at any given time? Just ran a speedtest and only get 76ms ping 46.29 down 9.37 up. Bout what I did on the Note 3.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Not sure about the freq. It only says LTE as far as in the status. Other than that is there some way to see what band its riding at any given time? Just ran a speedtest and only get 76ms ping 46.29 down 9.37 up. Bout what I did on the Note 3.
With root, you can type *#0011# in the dialer. Or if the speed is above 80mbps down /20mbps up. You can also have an iPhone next to you and look at its band and signal strength compared to the note 4

bapte

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I had full bars on 4g at my house with my iPhone. Have 2 bars on 4g with the note 4.

I'm using the Verizon note 4 as well.

Netguysc

May 22, 2012
Visit site
The opposite for me. My note 3 had terrible reception, the note 4 has great reception. Maybe you should exchange your phone for another 4

bapte

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Bars means nothing, compare dbm like -80 is better than -100. You can't go by bars of signal.
Well my signal strength is -108 32 asu to -102 dbm 38 asu on the note 4. When it hits 3 bars it's usually 102, and 2 bars it's usually 108.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I have the black one and I'm not rooted. Never really been into rooting my devices. I guess since I am not getting like 80mbs down im just on lte. There is definitely a dbm difference between the wife's n3 and my n4 not just bars. Ive read somewhere else though exchanging them has done nothing for others having the issue.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I had full bars on 4g at my house with my iPhone. Have 2 bars on 4g with the note 4.

I'm using the Verizon note 4 as well.
Either both devices are on different frequencies, or the note 4 is defective. I have had the 6 plus and Note 4 and when on the same frequency, they are pretty close.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Just played with both a bit more and watched them while we were out. They are pretty close to the same signal levels it seems. However I do believe the N4 is much more picky about incoming signal than the N3. Its radio must not be quite as sensitive being in some areas of the house my original statement stands. The N3 seems to pick up better.