Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Why is my battery draining so fast?

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: Battery life not that impressive

This has got to be one of the worst battery threads ever. We have a screen shot at 83%, and the only good suggestions, gsam and checking apps are shot down. Silly.

Ever notice the guys with 6+ hours of screen on time also have over a day of usage, and the guys around 5 have 10 hours of usage? That alone tells you battery life is dependant on usage.

3 hours of screen on time is an issue, get gsam, check the apps, fix the problem.

Posted via the Android Central App

currentdroiduser

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site

12 hours 1 min on battery with 6 pecent and on screentime at 6 hours 50 mins is this a defect battery

Jmobie

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

For those who have poor on screen time and battery life in general, do you have SD cards in your devices? I just took my SD card out, pulled the battery, powered back on, and my battery seems to not be free falling before my eyes as much. I think it might be related to an indexing service constantly running, causing Android System to take up a large percentage of the battery. I think there was a similar issue with the Note 3.

currentdroiduser

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site

For those who have poor on screen time and battery life in general, do you have SD cards in your devices? I just took my SD card out, pulled the battery, powered back on, and my battery seems to not be free falling before my eyes as much. I think it might be related to an indexing service constantly running, causing Android System to take up a large percentage of the battery. I think there was a similar issue with the Note 3.

I got SD card in what counts as bad on screen time

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

I have an SD card transferred directly from my S4 (no reformatting) and I am getting great battery life.

W U N F

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site

mine was so so for the first couple days and now i use it moderately thoguh my day with games and email, and espn radio streaming on morning drive lunch and on the way home. i have wifi at work so when i wake up with 100% on my way home i am at about 30% i like my screen bright so its always almost 100% bright prob around 90-95, i dont use power saving etc. i bought a nice fast phone i want to use ti that way.

so i get i full day persay and charge it nightly. but i am ocd about closing apps. before i lock my phone each time i close all my apps. my bluetooth and gps are always on and i have a moto 360 connected as well.

at least with note 4 we can always buy a replacement battery.

richmasterflex

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site

I have an SD card as well. My guess is the signal strength from the different carriers. I'm on Verizon and I live in a busy city so I'm never searching for service...how about you guys?

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

*Bump*

Everyone is talking about GSam and how great it is, but the problem with it, is what if it only says Android System? I've spent all day today going through all my apps and checking sync/notification settings. I've not changed anything with my device from what I was using before, and yet the last week to ten days my battery has been terrible. Android System is in the mid 20% range, and something is waking up my phone constantly. I can't figure out what it is because I haven't messed with any settings before this issue came up. I have no games on my phone, very few apps (2 1/2 pages in the app drawer) and i'll be lucky if I hit 3 hours sot for the day. This is seriously crazy. On a normal day i'd leave work with 80%+ remaining. Today, i've got 49% remaining with an hour still to go.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

*Bump*

Everyone is talking about GSam and how great it is, but the problem with it, is what if it only says Android System? I've spent all day today going through all my apps and checking sync/notification settings. I've not changed anything with my device from what I was using before, and yet the last week to ten days my battery has been terrible. Android System is in the mid 20% range, and something is waking up my phone constantly. I can't figure out what it is because I haven't messed with any settings before this issue came up. I have no games on my phone, very few apps (2 1/2 pages in the app drawer) and i'll be lucky if I hit 3 hours sot for the day. This is seriously crazy. On a normal day i'd leave work with 80%+ remaining. Today, i've got 49% remaining with an hour still to go.
Try loading greenify and see what apps it suggests for hibernation.

It is not the complete solution, but it is very helpful for finding apps running in the background.

Just as a random question since others have had similar problems...did you bring over an existing SD card without formatting, or did you start new?

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I tried Greenify and it only suggested 1 app. I did bring over an old SD card but I removed it for a few hours and the problem persisted so I assumed it wasn't the culprit.

jovan1256

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site

Hey I unchecked Google's sync of my contacts, pictures etc as well as dropbox sync. I only left gmail synced. This decreased my battery drain from 4% - 5% per hour while idle to 1% per hour while idle. I did not delete any of my apps like other ppl did. Try that. And take off airwake if you have it own. This drains battery as it is always looking for your hand to wave over the phone.

JennyShami

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Im the same.. The battery life is just pathetic. wake up at 7 by 8 its on 80% needs a full charge by lunch and then a full charge again around 6 pm.. its really debilitating.. Going to buy a second stock battery and see if that helps

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Im the same.. The battery life is just pathetic. wake up at 7 by 8 its on 80% needs a full charge by lunch and then a full charge again around 6 pm.. its really debilitating.. Going to buy a second stock battery and see if that helps

I did that myself actually.. Thanks for the advice I appreciate it

Osmani_786

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
Experiencing the same **** bro, i used to work somewhere that taking the camera phone is not allowed at all so i need to turn it off and give to watchman to keep it, when i get out of the my job and i turn on my phone it shows 10% less charge ..... and i have changed my note 4 for three times but still experiencing thing ... however it has a good battery life while it is on ... and i tried the following to cure it but didn't work at all.

1 - i thought that my phone is factory defected then i changed it with another GN4 910c which costed me 60 USD but i still have had the same problem.
2 - I have come to think that may be some of my apps like skype and others are spying my mobile and prevents it from sleeping so i have reset my phone but it wasn't fixed at all.
3 - I changed my mobile model from Galaxy Note 4 910c to Galaxy Note 4 910T... didn't help at all .

Really got bored experiencing this problem if any can help me out .. would appreciate it.

:-[:-[:-[

Racinghart91

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
buy the greenify donation pack to freeze system apps (facebook is a system app)
its worth the € 1,-

or you could root and flash another rom

Skeediddley

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi all. I too was suffering from random battery draining when I first received my Note 4. So, following suggestions I found here I did 2 things which have helped increase my phone to around 2 days standby and around 5-6 hrs SOT

1) Switched Network mode from LTE/WCDMA/GSM to WCDMA. I live in a poor LTE signal area, and realised that when I had little to no signal at night, I'd usually wake up to find my note with no juice or having taken out 25-30% on idle whilst I slept. Switching to WCDMA (3G) gives me a much better signal and conserves juice as the phone is not constantly searching/boosting power to radios to compensate. Easy fix.

2) Disabled the "bloat" that I dont use - In my case it was the following apps which I dont miss at all.

Ant Radio
Ant Plug INs
Evernote
Google Play Games
Instagram
Messenger
Pen UP
S Planner
S voice
Samsung Push
WhatsApp

Have to say that since doing this the Note 4 is a veritable battery beast. Hope this helps! :)

varunaX

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site

*Bump*

Everyone is talking about GSam and how great it is, but the problem with it, is what if it only says Android System? .

Yeah I noticed that too. I then discovered that the app only helps you out if your phone is rooted. Otherwise it's useless and tells you no more than the battery settings.

I actually found it appearing in my list of battery hogging apps, so I uninstalled it,which helped save me some battery ironically

varunaX

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site

By the graph in the first screen shot, something is keeping your phone awake for a considerable amount of time when the screen isn't on. That in and of itself is a problem. For the best battery life, you want that awake time to match up pretty close to the screen on time.

I both agree and disagree with what you are saying.

Yes, the less time your phone is awake (less of those skinny awake bars) when your screen is off, the more battery life you'll have. Those skinny awake bars are due to the background syncing that some apps and services perform.

But if you disable your phone's ability to sync when the phone is sleeping, then you are no longer using a 'smartphone' . A smartphone is smart because it can grab emails, update apps, update the weather, pull in real time tweets and stock market trends automatically while your screen is off. For the reason that when you do eventually look, everything on your screen will be up to date without having to manually open you email app to check if you have new emails, or manually open words with friends to see if its your turn to play. You know what I mean?

Background syncing/pushing/realtime notifications is what separates our phones from those in the 90's. Having that stuff done for me while my phone sleeps is the reason I own a smartphone. Disabling that stuff to get 1-2h of sot is not worth it imo.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
While it's good and the quick charge helps, it's no where as good as my Droid Turbo was.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non