'Unfortunately the Internet Has Stopped' error message

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Also wanted to clarify for later. It never said "the" Internet has stopped. It said Internet has stopped. Internet is the name of the browser app. It was just a conflict between Internet and facebook. And Kevin Karlin1, LaTuFu suggested you use a browser that is WAY better than the stock "Internet". It's silly to complain you "should not have to change anything". You update stuff all the time (or you should anyway). Then again, since you have only 2 posts and are in the wrong forum you are probably Jimmy Kimmel's cousin Sal baiting us for the show.

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Also wanted to clarify for later. It never said "the" Internet has stopped. It said Internet has stopped. Internet is the name of the browser app. It was just a conflict between Internet and facebook. And Kevin Karlin1, LaTuFu suggested you use a browser that is WAY better than the stock "Internet". It's silly to complain you "should not have to change anything". You update stuff all the time (or you should anyway). Then again, since you have only 2 posts and are in the wrong forum you are probably Jimmy Kimmel's cousin Sal baiting us for the show.

Some people (including myself) just like the stock browser better than others. Someone has already benchmarked it to be faster than Chrome.

I think his feeling is that, if he was using the stock browser before why should he have to switch apps just because Facebook couldn't get their app to work with this last update? It's not on him to worry about changing, it's on Facebook to fix their broken app.

Btw before my fix it was giving me problems even with the Chrome app. Whenever I clicked on a link in Facebook it would take me to the Chrome browser but that's it. It would not open the link, I would have to Force stop Facebook and Chrome for it to work again.

So yeah, completely unacceptable for the recent Facebook update to render it incompatible with TWO major browsers.

So far I haven't had any problems at all since switching to an older version of the Facebook app.

Sabine McCormick

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
So I've been getting an error message of "Unfortunately the Internet Has Stopped" whenever I try to click on an internet link from Facebook. I am using the stock Samsung internet browser, and would rather not switch to Chrome or anything else.

No solutions I've found online has worked, I've cleared cache and data for both my Internet and Facebook apps and restarted each time. That would work for a few tries, but then the error would start popping up again. I do not have "do Not Keep Activities" checked in the developer options, and I have updated all my apps.

Anyone else have this problem or know a different solution than the ones I have already tried?

Last edited:

Anna M

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
So I've been getting an error message of "Unfortunately the Internet Has Stopped" whenever I try to click on an internet link from Facebook. I am using the stock Samsung internet browser, and would rather not switch to Chrome or anything else.

No solutions I've found online has worked, I've cleared cache and data for both my Internet and Facebook apps and restarted each time. That would work for a few tries, but then the error would start popping up again. I do not have "do Not Keep Activities" checked in the developer options, and I have updated all my apps.

Anyone else have this problem or know a different solution than the ones I have already tried?

Hey, if you haven't resolved this yet, here's what to do (at least that did it for me): when you're in Facebook app, tap menu button (three horizontal lines), go to settings and make sure "Always open links with external browser" is ON.
After I did that I can open every link with no problem! Hope that helps :)

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Hey, if you haven't resolved this yet, here's what to do (at least that did it for me): when you're in Facebook app, tap menu button (three horizontal lines), go to settings and make sure "Always open links with external browser" is ON.

So I went to the Play store and updated Facebook so I could test your solution out. Before I tried it I attempted to open internet links, but this time it was working. I tried it about a dozen times so far and no errors!

I looked in the Play store and saw that their latest update is still the one from 12/9 so I don't think Facebook did anything to address it yet, so I'm wondering if me downloading an old version and updating that did the trick?

Either way, if this didn't keep working I'll try your solution, but I'm keeping my download of the old version of the FB app just in case

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't saying people should not prefer "Internet". Most people would say Chrome is better but it doesn't really matter. I intended to say that all this stuff is extremely complicated and these kinds of conflicts happen all the time and there are fixes. I think there would be more threads if a facebook update rendered it incompatible with 2 browsers completely. It doesn't matter to me because I took facebook off my phone for a number of other reasons. It still isn't clear who kevinkarlin1 is angry with...

Some people (including myself) just like the stock browser better than others. Someone has already benchmarked it to be faster than Chrome.

I think his feeling is that, if he was using the stock browser before why should he have to switch apps just because Facebook couldn't get their app to work with this last update? It's not on him to worry about changing, it's on Facebook to fix their broken app.

Btw before my fix it was giving me problems even with the Chrome app. Whenever I clicked on a link in Facebook it would take me to the Chrome browser but that's it. It would not open the link, I would have to Force stop Facebook and Chrome for it to work again.

So yeah, completely unacceptable for the recent Facebook update to render it incompatible with TWO major browsers.

So far I haven't had any problems at all since switching to an older version of the Facebook app.

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

Well that didn't last. And your suggested fix unfortunately didn't work. So back to uninstalling and reinstalling the old version :/

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I know this is off topic but I just wanted to compliment godzillinois on that home screen. Nice job really. I am guessing you have Nova or Nova Prime as a launcher. I have downloaded Nova as well. Just have to learn enough about configuring it to make it the default. Probably should go to youtube and try to get some direction there.

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I know this is off topic but I just wanted to compliment godzillinois on that home screen. Nice job really. I am guessing you have Nova or Nova Prime as a launcher. I have downloaded Nova as well. Just have to learn enough about configuring it to make it the default. Probably should go to youtube and try to get some direction there.

Thanks much! I do use Nova prime!

here's some tips on changing your launcher:

http://m.androidcentral.com/switching-launchers-android-44-s-new-home-setting

Amy House

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I came here searching for an answer to this problem. I tried all the suggestions except for the download & install an old version, but none of them worked.

But then I fixed it! I changed the app settings to "off" for Always Open links with external browser.

It appears that FB prefers you view the external links within the app itself.

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I came here searching for an answer to this problem. I tried all the suggestions except for the download & install an old version, but none of them worked.
But then I fixed it! I changed the app settings to "off" for Always Open links with external browser.

It appears that FB prefers you view the external links within the app itself.

Hopefully that works for you! Didn't work for me :/ So I'm stuck with old Facebook for now

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
hi,try the 3 dots at the right hand side on your fb account...just after the notification icon...MORE....scroll down to App Settings...press it...then tick ON 'Always open links with external browser'...this has solved my problem...hope it helps

novemberme

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
I just had this happen on my S4, when clicking on links in the Facebook app. I clicked the 'internet' icon on the home page of the phone and held it until the little "app info" icon appeared on top of the screen. Once I clicked on that I was able to click "clear data" and also "clear defaults". Then I installed Chrome. When I clicked on the link in Facebook the next time, I chose Chrome as my default browser and it works fine. I also think IE would have worked fine as well after clearing the data and defaults.

ToddL

May 7, 2011
Visit site
oh, "Internet has stopped", not "The Internet has stopped". I was about to say...I don't think the internet stops. Just like Florida doesn't close.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RylanortheAncient