Note 2 to Note 4 upgrade

indysteve9

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I am quite happy with my Note 2, however my contract is up and I'm wondering if it is worthwhile to upgrade to the Note 4. Are the improvements that much better over the Note 2 to justify the expenditure for a new phone? Has anyone else jumped to the Note 4 from a Note 2?

Hielko

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
It is really a personal choice. My experience: Note 2 is great, Note 4 is even better. Every day I notice that speed, screen, camera, S Pen and multi window is really better than with the Note 2.

Posted via the Android Central App

Steve S4

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
I don't like the calendar on the 4. The Note 2 showed some text for the day's event, now the Note 4 just shows a green dot. Yes, you can see the event and text by pressing on that day but I liked to see text on a an entire month page.
Smart switch didn't work 100% transferring things either.

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
I am quite happy with my Note 2, however my contract is up and I'm wondering if it is worthwhile to upgrade to the Note 4. Are the improvements that much better over the Note 2 to justify the expenditure for a new phone? Has anyone else jumped to the Note 4 from a Note 2?

I had the Note 2 and was quite happy with it. I probably would not have switched had I not wanted to switch carriers. Now that I have the Note 4, while it's a great device, I would've been fine sticking with the 2 and not spending the $$.

I don't like the calendar on the 4. The Note 2 showed some text for the day's event, now the Note 4 just shows a green dot. Yes, you can see the event and text by pressing on that day but I liked to see text on a an entire month page.
Smart switch didn't work 100% transferring things either.

Check out the app Jorte, it will provide the text, plus other features. I personally like the 4 x 1 task list calendar I can put on my home screen to show me upcoming tasks events over the next few days.

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded from my Note 2 to a Note 4 and LOVED it. I did trade in my Note 4 for the Edge, which was what I really wanted, but Verizon didn't have at the time. Love it even more! It's a worthy upgrade from 2 to 4.

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
So I had the Note 2 and it was a very good device. The Note 4 was coming out and I had to have it, a lot because of the Gear VR. Pre-ordered it and was going to give my Note 2 to may 80 year old dad, he was using my old Atrix. I was getting ready to switch phones and in the process turned the Note 2 off, pulled the charging pad off the back and pulled out the micro SD card. Tried to turn it back on and nothing, no lights nothing at all. Tried everything, called ATT and they tried everything-nothing. Had insurance so they shipped a replacement next day delivery. Sent in the Note 2 and opened the replacement and it is a Note 4. So now I have a Note 4 and my dad has a Note 4. We both love the phone. So much more capable, s-pen is better, screen resolution, camera much better, video overkill better, build quality is better, battery life is better the list goes on. End of contract, get a Note 4 and sell the Note 2.

And of course the Gear VR is absolutely throwup amazing.

Cringey

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I dislike tagging this onto this topic but didn't want to make a new topic.
Does any one know if the Verizon Note 4 is going on sale at Best Buy soon?
With Best Buy offering the Note 3 for $1.00 I was wondering if the N4 is worth the 150-299 more than the N3...
What do you think? (I'm going from a Note 2)

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I dislike tagging this onto this topic but didn't want to make a new topic.
Does any one know if the Verizon Note 4 is going on sale at Best Buy soon?
With Best Buy offering the Note 3 for $1.00 I was wondering if the N4 is worth the 150-299 more than the N3...
What do you think? (I'm going from a Note 2)

There are varying opinions on that but I'm gonna say Yes, the Note 4's better screen and camera are worth the extra $150. More than $150? Hmm...No, not to me. The Note 3 is still such a great machine.

steelrain82

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I too came from the note 2. I loved it. I didn't like the spen or the calendar apps ability to function with the spen. I don't use the spen that often with the note 4 anyways. However, I love the screen on the n4 it is so much better. The camera is better as well. But I do think my n2 had a quicker focus and didn't create a blur when the subject made a minor movement. I also liked the curved edges on the n2 and I think the screen size was better on the n2. But overall I like the n4. Battery life is definitely better on the n4.

Posted via the Android Central App

Cringey

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
There are varying opinions on that but I'm gonna say Yes, the Note 4's better screen and camera are worth the extra $150. More than $150? Hmm...No, not to me. The Note 3 is still such a great machine.

Thank you. I just realized I can just flip the note 2 on ebay to make up some of the cost. Thank you for your response.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I too was very happy with my Note 2, but found the Note 4 has some very compelling advantages. The first is the screen resolution and quality; it's vastly superior IMHO. It's much crisper and brighter and easier to read (ex. small text on webpages). You really have to see it first hand to fully appreciate it. Next is the improved S-Pen which now has a soft tip and comes with replacement tips if needed (compared to the non-replaceable hard tip on the Note 2) and can now be used on the capacitive back and recent apps buttons (no more having to use your finger). There are also numerous software improvements for the S-Pen as well that are far more useful than on the Note 2. Finally there's the vastly improved build quality with the metal bezels/sides and soft touch back (sans the cheesy faux stitching of the Note 3).

It's been almost three months now and I have zero regrets (even in paying full retail to keep Verizon grandfathered unlimited data). :) I still have my old Note 2 as a backup and it feels very outdated now when I attempt to use it.
Also the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 has xlte, whereas the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II does not. This could make quite a difference in data speeds if you are on a high load tower

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I had the note 2, note 3, and now the note 4. I think the note 4 is an incremental upgrade to the note 3, but a big upgrade to the note 2.

millerwa76

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I never owned any of the previous Note phones, but I can't imagine that the Note 4 is anything but an upgrade from older models. The only thing I could maybe see people not liking is the size of the phone in comparison to older Notes, but other than that, I'm curious if there's anything about the 4 that users of the 1, 2, or 3 would actually consider a step backwards other than having to learn a slightly modified interface. Strictly for informational purposes, what's "worse" about the 4 in comparison to older models?

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I never owned any of the previous Note phones, but I can't imagine that the Note 4 is anything but an upgrade from older models. The only thing I could maybe see people not liking is the size of the phone in comparison to older Notes, but other than that, I'm curious if there's anything about the 4 that users of the 1, 2, or 3 would actually consider a step backwards other than having to learn a slightly modified interface. Strictly for informational purposes, what's "worse" about the 4 in comparison to older models?

Signal - much better on the note 4. my note 3 was really bad on holding a signal in my house
Camera - much better on the note 4, clearly an upgrade, don't have to be a pro to notice the difference
Spen - writing on the screen is much easier on the note 4, much more sensitive than my note 3 was
Battery life - the same for me
Interface - very similar now that both are on android L, although the note 3 is missing the 'pop up' icon when you're in a call and change screens
Size - note 4 is a little narrower and a little taller than the note 3, its more comfortable to hold in my opinion
Charging - note 4 has quick charge, which is nice but not game changing for me since it lasts all day anyways

The signal and camera are why I would buy the note 4 over the note 3. But the note 3 is still a great device. I can't think of anything the note 4 does "worse" to address your question.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I have had the Note 2, 3 and now have the 4. I liked everyone of them, but I am a fan of pretty much all of the changes made with the Note 4. To me the biggest differences are the build, the camera and the S-Pen. I think the Note 4 is one of the best phones in hand. I have an iPhone 6 Plus as well and the Note feels so much better to me to hold and use. It's also a great looking phone in my opinion. I also think the camera is still one of the best available on a phone. Pictures are great with the front and back camera and it's quick and easy to use. The improvements with the S-Pen are really amazing. It's just better. Not sure how else to explain it. I write better, use it more and find it more accurate than the Note 2 or 3.

If you are happy with the Note 2 I would consider holding on to see what the Note 5 will bring, but considering that I just bought the Note 4 a month ago myself, I would definitely recommend it if you are ready to make a decision right now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38