Getting an alert in my notification tray about Chrome sync, says incorrect passphrase

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Today I started getting this alert in my notification tray for Chrome sync. I type in my Google password and it says "incorrect passphrase." Is it looking for something else there?

Stacey Moyer

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
This exact thing started happening to me today, too, arrgh! I even tried logging in and out of my account on my computer to make sure something weird wasn't going on with my password. It's working fine on my computer!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Do a search for chrome sync passphrase. It could be your Google account password or you could have set an encryption passphrase (maybe even without realizing it). There are articles on how to set it, how to recover it and how to reset it. Read and decide what you did and what you have to do to fix it.

SeniorMoment

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm seeing the same thing on a Nexus 7 (2013) and a Moto G. Checking account information, it appears that Chrome is, in fact, syncing. I think the error message, itself, is an error, perhaps related to the most recent update of the Chrome Android browser.

jerry12

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Today I started getting this alert in my notification tray for Chrome sync. I type in my Google password and it says "incorrect passphrase." Is it looking for something else there?

I started to get the same thing today also. It's probably a Google bug of some type.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Sync works except "Inbox" which I switched off and then I turned off Chrome's notifications in Settings:Apps:Chrome to get rid of the useless notification. This has solved it for now until Google have fixed the annoying bug.

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I own a Moto G but this issue exists in fact in that phone as well why it's puzzling to see this thread posted as a Samsung-specific problem which it isn't. It's an Android problem.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I've deleted data and cache in Settings:Apps:Chrome and restarted the phone.
Then I see the problem in red: encryption password which I have no clue what it can be because I can't recall ever setting such a password. I have no clue how to fix this. :(

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
If anybody was smart enough to read that it's a server problem on Googles end and they are trying to fix it...use a different browser temporarily...problem solved...

Posted via the Android Central App

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
If anybody was smart enough to read that it's a server problem on Googles end and they are trying to fix it...use a different browser temporarily...problem solved...

Ya know...there's a way of saying the same thing without being quite so patronizing.
Not the least of which is sharing the link where they're supposedly fixing it, since you, oh great one, have already done the arduous work of searching with words...

MajestyZ

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
Ya know...there's a way of saying the same thing without being quite so patronizing.
Not the least of which is sharing the link where they're supposedly fixing it, since you, oh great one, have already done the arduous work of searching with words...
You made my day, hahaha, hilarious.

I'm still dealing with the problem as well, it started happening right after the last update as well.
Has anyone found a pattern in this? I'm using a HTC One M8 running on 4.4.4. (found this page via Google).

Edit:
I guess this is the topic he was talking about. There appears to be a solution as well (bottom of the page):
https:))//productforums(.)google(.com)/forum/#!msg/chrome/BFA42hXcD6k/IS8Zrz_9yToJ

I can't post links yet..

MajestyZ

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
This worked for me:
Hi All,

Thanks for posting here, especially for the sync dumps, they were very helpful in diagnosing the problem. It seems like you have had sync accounts for a long time and it is causing an issue. Can you confirm how long you've had a sync account? It would also be helpful if you post a screenshot of the error message prompt.

The fix is to clear your sync data from the Google dashboard and sign in again on your devices. Can you try doing that? Make sure your bookmarks are available on your local device (computer) before you stop and clear. You can also always back-up (export) your bookmarks so you have a copy of them.

Cheers,
Sarah
Source: https:/(.)/productforums.google(.)com/forum/#!msg/chrome/BFA42hXcD6k/IS8Zrz_9yToJ

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana