12-29-2016 05:01 PM
79 1234
tools
    What Carrier are you on? I don't have, nor ever heard of DT Ignite.
    1812dave likes this.
    01-25-2015 03:54 PM
    I've never heard of it either. I checked, after reading these threads. I'm on AT&T.

Posted via the Android Central App
    shaleem likes this.
    01-25-2015 06:37 PM
    Root is def the way to go. Or even a custom rom..... I'm still on my Note 3.... Not sure the 4 is enough of an upgrade for me.
    01-25-2015 07:58 PM
    I'm on Verizon and have had the phone since Verizon released them. My DT Ignite was back alive and I'm sure I disabled this in the past.
    It's disabled again.
    01-25-2015 08:00 PM
    Let's actually put the blame where it belongs. It's not Samsung that's putting these apps on the phone, it's the Carriers. I'm on Sprint and I don't have DT Ignite, whereas we know at least T-Mobile phones do (no idea about AT&T or Verizon). While it may be 'fun' or 'cool' to blame Samsung for everything (and they do deserve some of it *coughTouchWizcough*), in this case, complaining about and to the party or parties actually at fault would be best.

This is one of those cases where having the Carriers able to stick their fingers in the Android pie definitely doesn't work best for the customer. It's much less of an issue on iOS phones, because Apple doesn't really let the carriers (or anyone really) do anywhere near as much with the operating system as a whole. With Android being so open, not only do many manufacturers feel the need to muck around with stock Android, but then the carriers are able to add their own junk on top.
    Someone gets it. The majority of "bloatware" is stuff installed by the carrier. I have Sound Detector which is a Samsung system app but I can disable it if I want to.

I have none of the other apps listed in this thread.
    shaleem likes this.
    01-25-2015 09:17 PM
    From reading previous post yesterday or the day before, Verizon and TMobile are the ones with DT ignite.
    01-25-2015 10:04 PM
    Confirming that my "Verizon" Note 4 phone does have DT Ignite.
    01-25-2015 11:19 PM
    Is DT Ignite on iPhone also?

01-26-2015 01:39 AM
    Hadn't heard about this yet, but I'm noticing now that I do have DT Ignite, but not the other apps. Hmmmm.. This seems a little sneaky, but not such a big deal. It's annoying though that even more space can be taken up by bloatware that I can't delete!

Here's a good article:

T-Mo Galaxy Note 4 customers complaining of DT Ignite software installing apps without permission » TmoNews
    01-26-2015 07:33 AM
    I don't see the IMSlogger on my Verizon Note 4.
    01-26-2015 08:45 AM
    It seems that those permissions have been changed to all apps on my phone that use camera and microphone. Even Chrome now has those same permssions.

Going to factory reset when I get home. This is ridiculous!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    01-26-2015 10:57 AM
    I personally don't worry about some of these permissions. Any app that can access the "Microphone" will say that. It is just the description of the "Microphone" on the phone.

Something such as Chrome needs this since some like to speak to Chrome to do searches .. so it has to use the mic to hear you.
    H3aTeRzz and UniQue WerkX like this.
    01-26-2015 12:31 PM
    So, disabling Sound Detectors has removed dictation as option from the Stock keyboard. Bit of a no go for me as I use that quite often, so I will be re-enabling that now.

posted from an undisclosed device
    UniQue WerkX likes this.
    01-26-2015 02:43 PM
    It seems that those permissions have been changed to all apps on my phone that use camera and microphone. Even Chrome now has those same permssions.
    And if the app (like Chrome) needed your confirmation every time you wanted to use 'Ok google' or use something like Goggles to snap a QR code, there'd be a huge uproar about how Android is unusable because of pop up dialogues for every action (just like what happened with Vista). Honestly, there's no huge conspiracy here. It's just how the apps need the phone devices (like the mic or camera) to do their jobs.

I'm not sure a smartphone (any smartphone) is right for you if you're that concerned about permissions that are necessary to make apps actually do what they're advertised to do. Maybe a different type of phone might be better.
    D Android and vjh425 like this.
    01-27-2015 12:18 AM
    Call me crazy but I don't like the idea of apps being able to record audio or video unless I'm the one doing it. I live a dull life but I still want privacy to live my boring life. Online privacy and offline privacy.... where do you draw the line?

felloffthetruck and palandri like this.
    01-27-2015 06:02 AM
    And if the app (like Chrome) needed your confirmation every time you wanted to use 'Ok google' or use something like Goggles to snap a QR code, there'd be a huge uproar about how Android is unusable because of pop up dialogues for every action (just like what happened with Vista). Honestly, there's no huge conspiracy here. It's just how the apps need the phone devices (like the mic or camera) to do their jobs.

I'm not sure a smartphone (any smartphone) is right for you if you're that concerned about permissions that are necessary to make apps actually do what they're advertised to do. Maybe a different type of phone might be better.
    I disagree with your senerio. If I say, OK Google, then I'm giving that app permission to do what's it's supposed to. Each time I use what ever feature, I'm giving it permission to operate. The permission description indicates that it's being done without your consent. That is completely different.

palandri likes this.
    01-27-2015 06:06 AM
    Call me crazy but I don't like the idea of apps being able to record audio or video unless I'm the one doing it. I live a dull life but I still want privacy to live my boring life. Online privacy and offline privacy.... where do you draw the line?

sometimes conversations about these permissions become overly anxious IMHO. I'm willing to bet that if you investigate, you'll find some reasons for why they needed it --or thought they did--related to a service they perform. If it is an app like Chrome, I'm simply not concerned that they ask for audio and video permission.

But granting that some permissions are badly written or technically overbroad--some lawyer covering his rear--with all the scare scenarios people post, I'd bet you cannot find a single instance of, say, Chrome, doing audio and video recording unrelated to its ability to perform some function you enabled, directly or indirectly.

And to go further, I guarantee that if for no reason relating to the function of the app and a choice you made implicitly or otherwise, it starts videotaping you in the bedroom and uploading it somewhere and the developer claims you consented to that because of overbroad permissions, you'll win the court case.
    UniQue WerkX likes this.
    01-27-2015 06:56 AM
    If these apps are recording audio and video without the users consent, then how are they any different than the NSA or any other government spy agency?

01-27-2015 06:58 AM
    If these apps are recording audio and video without the users consent, then how are they any different than the NSA or any other government spy agency?

I think you did not follow my point.

Could you give me a real world example of one of your apps recording audio or video without your consent. As I stated above, I'm willing to bet no such thing exists and that any recording done, indirectly or otherwise was a choice you made
    01-27-2015 07:01 AM
    If the app is not recording you all the time, then how can it possibly know you said "Ok, Google?"
    Rmedy21 likes this.
    01-27-2015 08:12 AM
    There's a difference between listening and recording. Listening for "Ok, Google" doesn't mean it is recording a single sound. It is waiting to hear the command to perform an action you desire.
    monsieurms likes this.
    01-27-2015 08:27 AM
    I've noticed since the Google search bar has changed to solid white, the microphone symbol is flashing (listening) when swiping between screens.
    01-27-2015 08:53 AM
    I've never heard of it either. I checked, after reading these threads. I'm on AT&T.

Same here. It has to be a carrier thing.
    01-27-2015 08:56 AM
    I disagree with your senerio. If I say, OK Google, then I'm giving that app permission to do what's it's supposed to. Each time I use what ever feature, I'm giving it permission to operate. The permission description indicates that it's being done without your consent. That is completely different.

As I said that is just the description for the Microphone from Android. It does NOT mean the app is going to do it --- That just isn't the case. It is just saying with that permission they could .. it doesn't say they are. Malicious apps of course will take advantage and are more likely to take advantage of having this permission... but something like a well known app (Chrome, twitter, etc.) I doubt they would risk annoying their users by invading their privacy.
    monsieurms and UniQue WerkX like this.
    01-27-2015 10:30 AM
    Not on Note 4. It does not have a speach recognition chip hooked up to Google API. It has to record everything and analyze it.
    01-27-2015 12:55 PM
79 1234