Suspicious Apps You Can't Turn Off

palandri

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
If I had a Note 4 I would take this issue up with the FCC because a common lay person wouldn't know how to turn it off and from what I've read it allows the carrier to install whatever they want without your knowledge for a kickback.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Insane! As much as the Note 4/Edge costs, this should definitely be an option!

They were optional for me. They are "gifts" from Samsung for purchasing the phone and DT Ignite does install them, but once I deleted them they have not come back and I have not "turned off" DT Ignite. If you don't want to use DT Ignite simply "turn it off" in Application Manager, clear the phone's cache, and you are good to go.
You can also go into the APP STORE under My Apps and remove the unwanted apps from your list. Without an app on your personal list it shouldn't ever be automatically re-installed.

If I had a Note 4 I would take this issue up with the FCC because a common lay person wouldn't know how to turn it off and from what I've read it allows the carrier to install whatever they want without your knowledge for a kickback.

Let's actually put the blame where it belongs. It's not Samsung that's putting these apps on the phone, it's the Carriers. I'm on Sprint and I don't have DT Ignite, whereas we know at least T-Mobile phones do (no idea about AT&T or Verizon). While it may be 'fun' or 'cool' to blame Samsung for everything (and they do deserve some of it *coughTouchWizcough*), in this case, complaining about and to the party or parties actually at fault would be best.

This is one of those cases where having the Carriers able to stick their fingers in the Android pie definitely doesn't work best for the customer. It's much less of an issue on iOS phones, because Apple doesn't really let the carriers (or anyone really) do anywhere near as much with the operating system as a whole. With Android being so open, not only do many manufacturers feel the need to muck around with stock Android, but then the carriers are able to add their own junk on top.

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: Woke up this morning with 4 new "Crap Apps" installed on my phone.

What Carrier are you on? I don't have, nor ever heard of DT Ignite.

ahutchga1972

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site

I've never heard of it either. I checked, after reading these threads. I'm on AT&T.

Posted via the Android Central App

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site

I'm on Verizon and have had the phone since Verizon released them. My DT Ignite was back alive and I'm sure I disabled this in the past.
It's disabled again. :p

pappcam

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Let's actually put the blame where it belongs. It's not Samsung that's putting these apps on the phone, it's the Carriers. I'm on Sprint and I don't have DT Ignite, whereas we know at least T-Mobile phones do (no idea about AT&T or Verizon). While it may be 'fun' or 'cool' to blame Samsung for everything (and they do deserve some of it *coughTouchWizcough*), in this case, complaining about and to the party or parties actually at fault would be best.

This is one of those cases where having the Carriers able to stick their fingers in the Android pie definitely doesn't work best for the customer. It's much less of an issue on iOS phones, because Apple doesn't really let the carriers (or anyone really) do anywhere near as much with the operating system as a whole. With Android being so open, not only do many manufacturers feel the need to muck around with stock Android, but then the carriers are able to add their own junk on top.

Someone gets it. The majority of "bloatware" is stuff installed by the carrier. I have Sound Detector which is a Samsung system app but I can disable it if I want to.

I have none of the other apps listed in this thread.

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site

From reading previous post yesterday or the day before, Verizon and TMobile are the ones with DT ignite.

UniQue WerkX

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
It seems that those permissions have been changed to all apps on my phone that use camera and microphone. Even Chrome now has those same permssions.

b6b8ce8a7750cfd8a380c3927bd1a002.jpg

45bc4443504a22abf793a15ad6d3fd01.jpg

Going to factory reset when I get home. This is ridiculous!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I personally don't worry about some of these permissions. Any app that can access the "Microphone" will say that. It is just the description of the "Microphone" on the phone.

Something such as Chrome needs this since some like to speak to Chrome to do searches .. so it has to use the mic to hear you.

BrockS.

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
So, disabling Sound Detectors has removed dictation as option from the Stock keyboard. Bit of a no go for me as I use that quite often, so I will be re-enabling that now.

posted from an undisclosed device

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
It seems that those permissions have been changed to all apps on my phone that use camera and microphone. Even Chrome now has those same permssions.

And if the app (like Chrome) needed your confirmation every time you wanted to use 'Ok google' or use something like Goggles to snap a QR code, there'd be a huge uproar about how Android is unusable because of pop up dialogues for every action (just like what happened with Vista). Honestly, there's no huge conspiracy here. It's just how the apps need the phone devices (like the mic or camera) to do their jobs.

I'm not sure a smartphone (any smartphone) is right for you if you're that concerned about permissions that are necessary to make apps actually do what they're advertised to do. Maybe a different type of phone might be better.

UniQue WerkX

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Call me crazy but I don't like the idea of apps being able to record audio or video unless I'm the one doing it. I live a dull life but I still want privacy to live my boring life. Online privacy and offline privacy.... where do you draw the line?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty