Calling/texting from your phone using your PC!!

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
You can...if you use Hangouts for Google Voice. If you still use the Google Voice app/ web site, then nope, MMS are a no-go.

Hmm...how do i use hangouts for G voice? is the way port over my G voice # to hangouts? does that mean I can delete my G voice app from phone?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, and no.

If you go to Hangouts' Settings, there's a Google Voice section that lets you use get your Google Voice messages directly in Hangouts. However, if you still want to place voice calls using your Google Voice number, you still need the Google Voice app for that. If you only use your GV number for texting or don't care that outgoing calls are showing your 'real' phone number, then you can migrate to Hangouts and uninstall the GV app (which is hideous by today's standards)

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Yes, and no.

If you go to Hangouts' Settings, there's a Google Voice section that lets you use get your Google Voice messages directly in Hangouts. However, if you still want to place voice calls using your Google Voice number, you still need the Google Voice app for that. If you only use your GV number for texting or don't care that outgoing calls are showing your 'real' phone number, then you can migrate to Hangouts and uninstall the GV app (which is hideous by today's standards)

Ok ok gotcha...I hope they integrate with Hangouts soon that we can use GV # to make phone call via hangouts...

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
NEVER had an issue with MightyText. I think Handcent can make calls. Don't know about the PC part. Magic Jack is good for calls from anywhere but I don't think it does messaging. There are dozens of ways to do all this stuff so I am not 'selling' any one thing. I just get what I need from MightyText. I might look at SideSync just because some of you seem to like it.

Using Mighty Text as well but not totally satisfied with it. Their service is spotty, sometimes it's responsive and sometimes not. Given that both computer and mobile device have good Internet connections when I observe such behavior I can only assume that their servers are sometimes overloaded.

It's not enough for me to quit using but can sometimes be annoying.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

akutch34

Trusted Member
May 26, 2011
Visit site
Phone was about to die, but I'm waiting on an important text convo... so, I decided to try out Side Sync on my tablet while my phone charges in the other room. This is extremely cool and convenient. Thanks for the info!

Attachments

• 1423012619003.jpg
    1423012619003.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 22

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Phone was about to die, but I'm waiting on an important text convo... so, I decided to try out Side Sync on my tablet while my phone charges in the other room. This is extremely cool and convenient. Thanks for the info!

looks cool...I wished it would work for me except it drains battery for me.

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
OMFG! Thanks for being the first to mention this. Works great on my PC. I don't care about battery usage because I use USB so it charges while I use it. SO cool. Question though...Can't find a setting that'll make it recognize SwiftKey instead of Samsung keyboard. Not a huge issue but if anyone knows it'd be appreciated. Need to start a SideSync thread just so people will see it. Was accident for me.

Yup, yes it does. But it only works with Samsung's newest devices. Oh, wait! Like yours! :)

It's called SideSync (usually it's pre-loaded on the phone, but if it's not, it's easily found on the Play Store). Download that to your computer (or tablet if you have it) and voila! You can even have your phone's screen in your computer and handle it with your mouse/keyboard, or just share the mouse/keyboard with the phone. File transfer between devices is also possible. You can do this over USB cable or WiFi as long as both devices are in the same network.

But if that doesn't rock your boat, you can also 'migrate' your calling/texting to your Google Voice account. That way you can get your texts and calls right on your computer or even an iOS device as long as you install the app.

akutch34

Trusted Member
May 26, 2011
Visit site
OMFG! Thanks for being the first to mention this. Works great on my PC. I don't care about battery usage because I use USB so it charges while I use it. SO cool. Question though...Can't find a setting that'll make it recognize SwiftKey instead of Samsung keyboard. Not a huge issue but if anyone knows it'd be appreciated. Need to start a SideSync thread just so people will see it. Was accident for me.

I noticed this, too. Would've like to use SwiftKey instead

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So, I got curious and went to check the settings again. I think the setup process changed the default keyboard. You still can't get rid of the Samsung keyboard or even uncheck it but I just changed default back to SwiftKey Beta and voila! It's there. Yay !

I noticed this, too. Would've like to use SwiftKey instead

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, that's one of the 'Side Effects' of using SideSync (yes, pun intended). Basically, when using SideSync, your keyboard goes to Samsung Keyboard by default. No way of changing this. BUT once you are connected, you CAN switch back to SwiftKey. Just go to any text field, start typing and change the keyboard from the Select Input Method option in the Notification Bar. Again, every time you disconnect and re-connect SideSync it will switch this back to Samsung Keyboard.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I just d/l SideSync on my phone and PC and unfortunately I couldn't even test it out as my Note 4 couldn't connect to my computer wifi network. It kept saying "couldn't connect, try again".....hmmmm, I use Push Bullet just fine, no usb cable. My computer is hard wired to the wall internet and wifi connected.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I just d/l SideSync on my phone and PC and unfortunately I couldn't even test it out as my Note 4 couldn't connect to my computer wifi network. It kept saying "couldn't connect, try again".....hmmmm, I use Push Bullet just fine, no usb cable. My computer is hard wired to the wall internet and wifi connected.

Make sure both devices are in the same network and IP range. Sometimes you might need to restart both devices to refresh the IP address.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

Make sure both devices are in the same network and IP range. Sometimes you might need to restart both devices to refresh the IP address.
I'm doing something wrong......I restarted both phone and PC. Here are the screens I get on my PC and Phone.....I have my phone on wifi, my office. I'm not sure what else I can check......the screen that shows on my computer says "Please Check the wifi network status?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2-4-15 SideSync.jpg
    Screen shot 2-4-15 SideSync.jpg
    696.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_2015-02-04-16-19-57.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-02-04-16-19-57.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 23

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Mmmm..that's odd. I'm not on WiFi at the moment, but when I get home I'll test it out (I honestly have only used SideSync over WiFi with my tablet and it works just fine; with the PC I always use USB).

Alain_A

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
what's up [Language ]I come here to android central to educate myself using the computer at home and I encounter lag from android central but nothing when I go to Blackberry side...

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
what's up [Language ]I come here to android central to educate myself using the computer at home and I encounter lag from android central but nothing when I go to Blackberry side...
Alain_A,

Sorry that you are having this type of experience. If you could give us a little more details as to what exactly your experiencing that would be much more helpful to our support teams.

Paul
Mod Team Leader @ AC.