02-27-2015 01:19 AM
50 12
tools
    So I had a pain in my a** when I had to migrate from my Old Android phone to Note 4...cuz I had to use multiple apps to back up different things in my phone. I know google will back up my contacts, and apps (WITHOUT APP SETTINGS). I had to use another app to back up my texts/whtsapp/call logs...and then another app to back up my all my apps with app settings.

So Just like iCLOUD which backs up your ENTIRE iphone (calls, texts, pics, app settings, phone settings) -----> WHAT DOES ANDROID HAVE IN COMPETITION? And I want something that I DON"T Have to pay for, and I DON"T have to ROOT my phone!

suggest some ideas ppl...
    02-18-2015 07:03 PM
    Here you go: Kies
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    02-18-2015 07:27 PM
    There isn't anything. There are a few areas where the iPhone walks all over Android, and this is one of them. :/

Edited - I forgot about Kies. It will backup just like iTunes?
    02-18-2015 07:27 PM
    Your best bet is to get an iPhone 6+. Then you can be completely backup at no cost, don't have to root, and don't have to make choices.
    02-18-2015 07:42 PM
    Your best bet is to get an iPhone 6+. Then you can be completely backup at no cost, don't have to root, and don't have to make choices.
    Me and switching to APPLE? NO WAY!! lol
    02-18-2015 08:32 PM
    I checked out Kies...it says it backs up applications (internal memory)...does that mean it backs up apps with app settings?
    02-18-2015 08:33 PM
    I have tried Helium back up and tht's wht i used to migrate but it was a sh!t load of work

I even tried G cloud back up but the free apt up doesn't back up much...u gotta pay for most of the stuff tht u want to have backed up!
    02-18-2015 08:34 PM
    There are a few areas where the iPhone walks all over Android, and this is one of them. :/
    I hope the ppl @ google realize this and are working on some kind of a cloud system just like iCLOUD where it can make it so convenient.

I definitely give credit to Apple here...and it kills me to do so!
    02-18-2015 08:38 PM
    I think Apple can do it so easily because, let's face it: it's one OS. With Android, the sky's the limit when you get multiple manufacturers involved. With Samsung to Samsung, you can use Kies, and that's only because Samsung makes that available.

Frankly, when I get a new phone, the last thing I want is to clutter it with my old phone's garbage. I install apps from scratch, which gives me a good opportunity to evaluate the ones I REALLY use and want to continue using. If they need the old data (and there shouldn't be that many), I just use ES FILE EXPLORER to transfer the appropriate Android/data folders to the new device. Reboot and I'm done. No root required. No fancy apps required.

My kids have never lost their progress on a game since I started doing this with their devices.

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-18-2015 09:40 PM
    I think Apple can do it so easily because, let's face it: it's one OS. With Android, the sky's the limit when you get multiple manufacturers involved. With Samsung to Samsung, you can use Kies, and that's only because Samsung makes that available.

Frankly, when I get a new phone, the last thing I want is to clutter it with my old phone's garbage. I install apps from scratch, which gives me a good opportunity to evaluate the ones I REALLY use and want to continue using. If they need the old data (and there shouldn't be that many), I just use ES FILE EXPLORER to transfer the appropriate Android/data folders to the new device. Reboot and I'm done. No root required. No fancy apps required.

My kids have never lost their progress on a game since I started doing this with their devices.

Fair enough...But I would like my phone to take a periodic back up of all the apps, settings, and everything in case my phone decides to die on me. And I just like one app to do it all. I will give Kies a try!
    02-18-2015 09:51 PM
    tried the Kies option...1st off, I have to connect to it via a USB cable only, i can't connect to it via wifi..so that's a bummer...everytime I want to back up my phone I have to connect it via USB cable!
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    02-18-2015 10:40 PM
    tried the Kies option...1st off, I have to connect to it via a USB cable only, i can't connect to it via wifi..so that's a bummer...everytime I want to back up my phone I have to connect it via USB cable!
    Do you backup your computer to an external hard drive, etc? I don't see what the big deal is that you also have to plug your phone into your computer to back it up. Kies also allows you to transfer everything from an old phone to your new one. I don't see what's the big deal, I'm sorry.
    Plug in when you go to sleep, if you don't want to do it during the day. I back my phone up via Kies every 3-4 weeks. No problem.
    02-19-2015 12:06 AM
    But Kies doesnt back up data from 3rd party apps like your stocks and lists software or podcasts etc.
    Iphone i believe restores everything ...I hope google bring out a better system to back up soon ...I also dont understand if you root yourphone you can back up everthing via many third party apps but not the case if not rooted
    Android D likes this.
    02-19-2015 12:29 PM
    Fair enough...But I would like my phone to take a periodic back up of all the apps, settings, and everything in case my phone decides to die on me. And I just like one app to do it all. I will give Kies a try!
    I used to do nandroid backups as well, but if a phone just dies on you, you've got bigger issues. Any device that ever died on me was old enough to not be worth the trouble or expense of repairing.

02-19-2015 02:45 PM
    I used to do nandroid backups as well, but if a phone just dies on you, you've got bigger issues. Any device that ever died on me was old enough to not be worth the trouble or expense of repairing.

LOL...reason I brought this up is cuz my Bro's iphone 6 which is like 5 months old just died on him!! Luckily he had backed up with icloud automatically hrs before it died so he got a replacement and he's just fine now.

So it's the newer phones too that can do that..I mean i haven't had an android just die on me for no reason, but just trying to prepare for the worst!

it's a piece of mind to have knowing u wouldn't loose anything in case ur phone goes crazy on ya!
    02-19-2015 03:52 PM
    But Kies doesnt back up data from 3rd party apps like your stocks and lists software or podcasts etc.
    Iphone i believe restores everything ...I hope google bring out a better system to back up soon ...I also dont understand if you root yourphone you can back up everthing via many third party apps but not the case if not rooted
    even if google doesn't make something like this, Samsung should be aware about this and make a system like icloud! they know apple is doing it, so they should come up with something similar to let it's mobile user have a piece of mind!

I tried Kies and it's horrible...it doesn't back up app data!
    02-19-2015 03:55 PM
    I was told that Kies will do a back up for a specific phone but it's not like iTunes where when you get a new phone and sync it. The way it was explained is that Kies will only sync with that exact same phone not model but same phone/serial/IMEI and so on. I guess it's ok to have a back up of your files but it doesn't grab everything and if your phone breaks and you get the same model you still won't be able to sync the info. I found this out but syncing my Galaxy S5 before I upgraded to the Note 4 and couldn't find a way to sync all my info and inquired on forums and was told it wasn't possible. I'd like to find an app/computer software that will back up everything (app data, s notes, pics, you name it) and be able to sync it with any Android device (future upgrades). As much of a pain iTunes was it did it's job quite well.
    02-19-2015 04:25 PM
    That was Pretty gutsy in an Android Forum and on a Samsung Note 4 thread!
    02-19-2015 04:32 PM
    When I moved from a Note 2 to a Note 4, I used the Samsung Switch app......it wasn't completely perfect, I had to re-download a few apps and such, but it did a pretty damn good job.
    02-19-2015 04:34 PM
    When I moved from a Note 2 to a Note 4, I used the Samsung Switch app......it wasn't completely perfect, I had to re-download a few apps and such, but it did a pretty damn good job.
    I didn't know about it when I moved to note 4, but the problem i see with the app is let's say u already sold your old phone and u don't have your new phone quite yet (back ordered, delayed, etc). I think the switch app requires u to have both the phones physically present.
    02-19-2015 05:22 PM
    I am just gonna give the Helium and ultimate back up app a try!
    02-19-2015 05:22 PM
    I didn't know about it when I moved to note 4, but the problem i see with the app is let's say u already sold your old phone and u don't have your new phone quite yet (back ordered, delayed, etc). I think the switch app requires u to have both the phones physically present.
    Yes, you are correct, it does require having both phones next to each other to transfer from one to the other with that app. Sorry that didn't help you out! I hope you are able to find a solution that works.
    02-19-2015 05:42 PM
    Wht does it means when a back up app only backs up "apk files" of all your apps but not app settings ?

I get the app settings part, but what are they "apk files"? is it just that particular version of the app?
    02-19-2015 05:43 PM
    Wht does it means when a back up app only backs up "apk files" of all your apps but not app settings ?

I get the app settings part, but what are they "apk files"? is it just that particular version of the app?
    APK is the extension used by Android for and Application file. Like Windows .exe for an executable.
    All applications have a file with the APK extension.
    Good Luck!
    Ron
    02-20-2015 08:22 AM
    So help me understand this, as I am totally new to Android. Been with BlackBerry forever. With BB, they have a desktop program, right now it's Link for BB10 devices, which will do a full back up of your device (apps, data, media etc - which includes texts, contactsand everything). You can then choose to restore the whole backup or select what you want. Handly when switching devices, or getting new ones etc (as long as they are BB10. BBOS had desktop manager which did the same thing).

Is there not something similar with Android? Is that what I'm reading here? So if I want to do a backup of my device, what do I do? Get this Kies app? Or is there something already on the phone? Thanks and appreciate any help.
    02-20-2015 04:50 PM
50 12