lag? honestly.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Ive never used a Samsung. I'm willing to overlook Touchwiz (because I can use Nova) but how bad is the lag I keep hearing about?

Second question, what am I losing from Note4 features when using a Launcher like Nova? does the S-Pen still work?

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I dont have problem with lag on the phone, but i also think lag has got to the point of being subjective (like recoil, feels different to different people).

There are apps that take a moment longer to load than other apps, but its not the phone its the app, because it happens on different phones ive used, and to blame the phone would be nonsense.

To me the note4 is very fast, but then again i dont expect it to read my mind and open an app before i select it lol.

The only time i see a short delay is when using the priority contacts bar in the text message app, i can actually feel an ever so slight "lag" from the cursor going from people list to message portion..

The phone is super fast, your results may vary.. esp when using some slower apps.

As far as what u lose, i have read u lose some spen stuff, things that are specific to the note line, because the spen is part of touchwiz.. some mind and some dont depending on how much they use the spen. I use the stock launcher because touchwiz isnt as bad as it used to be, and i use the spen quite a bit.

Good luck to ya!

Verizon Note4 w/ Otterbox Defender

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Things I use that aren't stock. Should I be concerned with any kind of incompatibility on Touchwiz?
First of all I use Nova Prime.
I use the Gmail & Inbox app back and forth for email. I never use the stock email app.
Currently using the new Google messenger for SMS.
Quickpic for gallery
Swiftkey Keyboard

bbmjack

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Things I use that aren't stock. Should I be concerned with any kind of incompatibility on Touchwiz?
First of all I use Nova Prime.
I use the Gmail & Inbox app back and forth for email. I never use the stock email app.
Currently using the new Google messenger for SMS.
Quickpic for gallery
Swiftkey Keyboard

They will work on Touchwiz with no problems

KRASIVA

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I use Nova Prime too, works very well on my Note 4. I think the only loss in functionality I've read about is ability to pin S Note Action Memos to the screen like post it notes. Not a big deal to me.

I have used SwiftKey, no problem, but lately I've been preferring Swype keyboard. Swype (for me) seems to do better at word prediction.

Only discernable lag I've experienced is with the recent apps capacitive key. It can take 2 to 3 seconds to display the list of recently used apps. And also with launching the photo gallery from within the camera app (to view the last photo you just took)is typically slow. It takes about 5+ seconds but sometimes it takes close to 10 seconds.

Search this forum for "lag" and those are the two biggest complaint areas people have been talking about.

One other thing that bugs me is that the text selection tool (in a few apps, not all) does not always work the first time. By "work" I mean "show the begin and end markers of the text selection" so that you can adjust what is selected. I have to select the text twice to get this to work. For whatever reason it always works on the second text selection, it will display the begin and end markers, never the first time.

Also, if I have to scroll the text selection marker to select text that is not in view (ie cause the page to scroll), as soon as the page scrolls you lose your ability to adjust your text selection. You still have the text selected, but just lose the begin/end markers that allow you to adjust how much text is selected (ie add/remove via the selection end points).

Other than these small annoyances, IT'S AN AWESOME PHONE!

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
tl;dr, the important stuff will all work fine with Nova and an alternate keyboard.

I also use Nova Prime on my Note 4. There are several TouchWiz-only widgets you lose - most of them have to do with pinning S-Pen features to the desktop which I wouldn't want to do anyway but you might. The one thing that keeps me toggling back and forth is "My Locations" (detects where you are and shows custom icons more relevant to that location, turns WiFi and Bluetooth on and off, and other little niceties). Trying to decide if that's worth giving up Nova for - but so far torn on that answer.

S-Pen "Air Command" and all other S-Pen functions work just fine with Nova and across all apps.

I use the Google Keyboard for input because I've come to like it, and S-Pen handwriting works just fine with it. You hover the S-Pen over an input box and the little text entry popup appears, tap on it and you are scribbling away. Nowhere near as efficient as swiping on a keyboard, though, so I don't use it except as a neat novelty.

JenTDOT

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I have used both an S4 and Note 2 and the lag was noticeable. Note 3 lag had some but was better. Note 4 I have not noticed any lag. I owned all of those previous devices, so I had time to evaluate. No herky jerky scrolling, no delayed apps, etc with this phone. I don't mind touchwiz on this Note either.

I think stuff like that is going to be subjective and depend on your apps, etc. I think this is Samsung's best phone yet. At least that I have used

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I use the Google Keyboard for input because I've come to like it, and S-Pen handwriting works just fine with it. You hover the S-Pen over an input box and the little text entry popup appears, tap on it and you are scribbling away. Nowhere near as efficient as swiping on a keyboard, though, so I don't use it except as a neat novelty.

FYI... The "little text entry popup", a floating T inside a circle, works with the SwiftKey and Swype keyboards too so you can use the S Pen for handwriting, which does an extremely good job recognizing my awful handwriting. Very impressed with this feature.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
FYI... The "little text entry popup", a floating T inside a circle, works with the SwiftKey and Swype keyboards too so you can use the S Pen for handwriting, which does an extremely good job recognizing my awful handwriting. Very impressed with this feature.

Agreed. It recognizes my handwriting very well no matter how bad my cursive is, and it gets pretty bad. It just takes longer than swiping on a keyboard (one movement per letter of a word instead of several).

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, to address the actual subject of the thread: Lag for me has been ZERO. Buttery smooth. On par with my Moto X 2014 which runs a much "cleaner" version of Android, which is surprising given the number of whiz-bang features in TouchWiz.

Speaking of which, TouchWiz is vastly improved over previous builds I have worked with. I have a long hatred for TouchWiz, but other than Sammy reversing the Menu/Task and Back buttons from stock Android design ("Why, Sammy!? WHY?!?!") the transition has been relatively painless.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. It recognizes my handwriting very well no matter how bad my cursive is, and it gets pretty bad. It just takes longer than swiping on a keyboard (one movement per letter of a word instead of several).

I agree, handwriting is not as fast for me compared to swipping or two thumb typing. But, it's accuracy seems to the best by far. I don't use it much but when I have greasy french fry fingers, it's better than greasing up the screen.

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
The only time I really notice lag is if I've got a bunch of MMS messages coming through at the same time that I'm watching a video. It slows down a little until all the messages have been downloaded. Other than that, nothing really noticeable. I run Nova Launcher, just like I did on my GS4. Definitely not as much lag.

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I do see lag, though its not that bad its not as smooth as my iPhone or m8 gpe. And by lag I mean lower frame rates throughout the phone.

As for nova, the only thing you'll lose is the ability to pin a note to your home screen. Everything else works just fine

gpo1956

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, but lag on my Note 4 is all too real. Camera, gallery, messages and recent apps are, and always have been very laggy. And yes I've cleared cache and even done a factory rest.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, but lag on my Note 4 is all too real. Camera, gallery, messages and recent apps are, and always have been very laggy. And yes I've cleared cache and even done a factory rest.

WHERE WERE YOU 3 HOURS AGO!! ???? lol JK. anything is better than my old RazrM. it was painful the lag on that. took 20 seconds to come out of the lock screen sometimes.

I'm happy for now. I think I like the fact that I have to tinker and sift through settings and tweak. My Turbo took 5 minutes to set up how I like and then it was just there. A perfect boring phone. I haven't even messed with the pen yet.