Note 4 built-in FM radio receiver chip?

jwt873

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I did some digging and it appears that there are many smartphones that have FM radio receiving chips built in. This allows them to pick up FM broadcasts directly from the air with no need for a cellular or WiFi connection. For some reason, many manufacturers (Including Samsung) have the chips installed, but don't advertise the fact. And further to this... In order to use the feature, your carrier has to activate it.

Here is a site with a list of phones capable of receiving local FM broadcasts. (Note that the Note 4 is included in this list)

Supported Devices - NextRadio

Here's a web page where people are urged to contact their carriers and ask that they unlock their phone's FM receiver chip. (It seems that currently, only Sprint, Boost and Virgin will activate the Note 4's FM chip).

Free Radio on My Phone

I wonder if anyone with a rooted Note 4 can weigh in on this.. Can you install the nextradio.app (NextRadio) and listen to local FM radio, and then pick up local FM broadcasts?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
In case you want to start a list:

AT&T Note 3 4.4.2 (pretty much stock for this purpose) - no go. (Or maybe the 3 didn't have the chip? I don't know.)

ronb

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! I have Sprint and I guess that is one perk. Didn't know it was there and already had the NextRadio app.
Ron

Aeeon

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I am pretty sure any rooted phone would have full access to the FM chip unless the ROM creator explicitly left the feature out. I am very interested in this as well. Need someone who has rooted a Galaxy Note 4 on Verizon to confirm this please. If it works I will just root my phone, I'm tired of not having full control of my device!

Aeeon

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
The rom would need to have the feature turned on or someone smart enough to turn it on for it to work. There's another community that actually helped me root a samsung device I just can't remember what it's called.