Galaxy Note 4: How much do you use the S pen and for what purpose

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I dont use it alot. I'm trying to get used to using it though .I forget that I have it as well.

Posted via the Android Central App

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
...Also, if you open Action Memo while on a call and take a few notes, the next time your talking with the same number it will give you a shortcut to your note right from the dialer screen....

That is awesome. I didn't know it did that. I rarely make or receive phone calls anymore but I could see this being very handy for someone that does.

The other very helpful thing that you get with handwritten notes (Action Memos, S Note) is with the S Finder app. S Finder will search your whole phone for text but it also searches your handwritten notes as well.

You don't have to convert the handwritten text to typed text. Your Note 4 automatically indexes all that you write by hand. So within seconds to a minute of handwriting some text, you can go search on it.

That's pretty awesome and powerful for people that take a lot of handwritten notes and need to reference them later (students, realtors, doctors, etc)...ok maybe not doctor's handwriting - but my handwriting can be horrible sometimes and this phone always amazes me how well it can recognize what I write.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
My wife was traveling late at night and came upon some construction traffic on the highway. It wasn't safe for her to use her phone in the stop & go traffic while driving to find an alternate route. So she called me to check for her.

I pulled up waze on my phone, saw where the traffic delay started and ended. I found an alternate route (get off the highway at exit #55, take route 12 for x miles, turn left @ intersection abc, etc).

Instead of trying to tell her this and her getting lost or forget steps, I pulled up Google Maps and drew out arrows for her path, took a screen shot and sent it to her.

S Pen to the rescue!

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I use the S-pen all day everyday. It's my favorite language input method. I love just setting my Note 4 on my desk and just write on it with S-pen. I send texts, take notes, play word search, pretty I do everything with the S-pen.

Note in my house!

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Looks good. But looks just like the Samsung keyboard. What would be the benefit?

Note in my house!

I have not used it much but it is very accurate, just like the Samsung one is. But with it being independent l could see it advancing quicker than Samsung's. Just different. Something to keep an eye on as it progresses.

EDIT: watch the video. It has intelligent gestures to help edit the text. You can simply overwrite text to correct it.

Neo_ii_Droid

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Most of the time I do use and enjoy the S Pen, even now as I'm keying this in to reply. I'm also fascinated that I can adjust the writing tip to a Calligraphy or Fountain Pen since my EDC scriber is a Fountain Pen with a 1.1mm CI Nib.

Here's how I set up the S Pen to write:

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-28-20-02-12.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-28-20-02-12.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 45

Kage87Z

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
Right hand has been messed up (Will be for at least another 6 weeks or so they told me today) so I can't use it effectively.

But even then I don't really know what to do with it.

Guess I'll be studying it more to figure it out.

crp852

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I use the S Pen daily. It's great for jotting notes, I just added a contact today after writing his name and number in an Action Memo. Also, if you open Action Memo while on a call and take a few notes, the next time your talking with the same number it will give you a shortcut to your note right from the dialer screen.

OneNote is also a great place to use the S Pen. Hand written notes on the go are just so much easier than trying to use a keyboard.

I also use it for the same reasons as above and I love making funny notes on a photo and sending it to my wife or kids.

Posted via the Android Central App from the beast A.K.A. Note 4.

+1 to using the S Pen with OneNote for Android (its a free app now). For work, I attend a lot of meetings held in small conference rooms, where, as a member of the audience, there may or may not be a tabletop or anything to set a device on. With the G Note & OneNote, I can take notes of the meetings (I take a lot of notes to help me remember what was said, & by whom) on a device not any larger or thicker than the old pad of paper I used to keep with me.

The notes are synced to all my devices (2 in 1 Windows hybrid laptop, windows desktop, etc.).

nx5nx5

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Got mine yesterday. Haven't used the S Pen, and I don't see myself using it very often. Screenshots are the only thing they have that I really use, and holding home + power isn't hard

You don't even have to hold home and power. Make a straight edge with your hand (like a karate chop), and swipe your whole hand left to right (or right to left) across the screen. Instant screen capture!