Beware of Facebook app: seems to cause note 4 to freeze!

catberryday

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Facebook just updated on it's own again. Now it is up to 300mb. I don't like this. Can't uninstall it either. I have tried and it just updates itself again. This is unacceptable behavior.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Facebook just updated on it's own again. Now it is up to 300mb. I don't like this. Can't uninstall it either. I have tried and it just updates itself again. This is unacceptable behavior.

Try uninstall the updates, force stop, delete data and do not log into Facebook. Wait for it to update and when it does, see if you see those two files listed in the App Manager under downloaded and then uninstall their updates, and disable them.

I don't know if it will work this way, I do know it will work with the original update with a new phone or after a reset.

Also make sure all auto updates in the Play Store are turned off.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
How do you know Facebook is updating itself outside the play store? I haven't noticed this.

Well I have the Beta version available to me in the Play Store and I had auto updates turned off, because I didn't want the update.

I wasn't getting the newest beta version in my update outside of the Play Store, but just the newest public version. When it would update, it would still show I needed an update in the Play Store.

Also the other night when they had to switch out my phone and I was updating via WiFi to Lollipop, I got notice it updated.

I had not logged into this phone with any account, so the Play Store was not available to me. I saw this on my notification screen.

Also notice, that is not a Play Store notification with that big fat Facebook icon.

Also this isn't the first time Facebook has done this, they did it two years ago.

Attachments

• 1431138291770.jpg
    1431138291770.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 56

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I mentioned this in other threads but I uninstall/disabled FB after the lollipop update because it was sucking data. Almost half of a gig in 4 days.

Posted via the Android Central App

Slantize

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
i started noticing that it was updating itself (not through the play store) the a couple weeks ago as well, although it hasn't caused me any problems. i've also seen instagram do this as well. think i'm going to get rid of both of them, not a big fan of things being updated without permission.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I mentioned this in other threads but I uninstall/disabled FB after the lollipop update because it was sucking data. Almost half of a gig in 4 days.

Messenger sucks a lot of data. This is why I sideload version 27, so I can install the app that. Makes FB think you have messenger. Version 27 also isn't using a lot of data.

catberryday

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Well I have the Beta version available to me in the Play Store and I had auto updates turned off, because I didn't want the update.

I wasn't getting the newest beta version in my update outside of the Play Store, but just the newest public version. When it would update, it would still show I needed an update in the Play Store.

Also the other night when they had to switch out my phone and I was updating via WiFi to Lollipop, I got notice it updated.

I had not logged into this phone with any account, so the Play Store was not available to me. I saw this on my notification screen.

Also notice, that is not a Play Store notification with that big fat Facebook icon.

Also this isn't the first time Facebook has done this, they did it two years ago.

Yep this is what I got too. Except the notice to update in playstore disappered after it updated. I have automatically update in playstore turned off.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yep this is what I got too. Except the notice to update in playstore disappered after it updated. I have automatically update in playstore turned off.

Well you are getting the highest version available to you.

The public version isn't even available to me in the Play Store. Until I leave beta testing, I can not see the public version when searching for Facebook.

I did find the two "apps" causing the auto update in my turned off updates. If you have these listed in the downloaded part of your App Manager, uninstall updates, force stop them, clear data and then disable them.

They are causing the auto updates.

Attachments

• 1431180731223.jpg
    1431180731223.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 36

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I was in the Facebook app and suddenly gray bars appeared across the screen, then a white screen and then the phone completely froze.

I shut down the phone, restarted, and went to the Google play store (the phone was no longer frozen). I read horror stories of hacking, etc, in the FB app comments.

So I unchecked auto updates, uninstalled, and disabled the app. Then I bookmarked the actual Facebook site on my phone. Seems to be working well so far.

Just letting you all know my experiences.

Hmm I use Facebook several times daily and haven't had any issues. There was a recent update. Could it be that?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't have that. Is that a specific carrier app on some phones?

DT Ignite may not show up yet for you but it may very well eventually show up in your usage stats. It did on my Note 4 one day and I disabled it.

It's an app intended for carriers to allow ads to show up on your phone and it enables the ability for them to force install garbage apps and games without your approval.

You can disable it in application manager / all.

Like I said, it may not be there yet but it very well could suddenly show up soon.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
DT Ignite may not show up yet for you but it may very well eventually show up in your usage stats. It did on my Note 4 one day and I disabled it.

It's an app intended for carriers to allow ads to show up on your phone and it enables the ability for them to force install garbage apps and games without your approval.

You can disable it in application manager / all.

Like I said, it may not be there yet but it very well could suddenly show up soon.

Hopefully this is something AT&T won't do..

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Well you are getting the highest version available to you.

The public version isn't even available to me in the Play Store. Until I leave beta testing, I can not see the public version when searching for Facebook.

I did find the two "apps" causing the auto update in my turned off updates. If you have these listed in the downloaded part of your App Manager, uninstall updates, force stop them, clear data and then disable them.

They are causing the auto updates.

Facebook once again updated OTA on it's own just now. I disabled what you have shown above. Hopefully this stops it.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Facebook once again updated OTA on it's own just now. I disabled what you have shown above. Hopefully this stops it.

Oh you found it without a reset? Good deal. Did you also clear the data on those two after you disabled them?

I haven't had a single update since I did that and I was getting several a day most days.

Also if you are interested in the small file that keeps you from having to use messenger (you can't use anything higher than v27 but they haven't changed anything from that, but maybe new stickers) let me know. I'll get you the info on that.

I like using my app for messages and not adding messenger.

Keep me updated. If this works for people that have their phone all set up, this might be a good idea to make a pin type thread for people having this problem. More are having it than realize or are reporting.

Neo_ii_Droid

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Just curious here; I've only used Facebook on my SGN.IV via Google Incognito Mode. Would the issues experienced here encompass how I've been accessing FB?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38