Fast charging not working/all other charging sources slower than normal. How can I fix this?

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Fast charging not working/all other charging sources slower than normal.

I bought a Note 4 in November 2014, and I have never had charging issues before. I normally charge my phone in three locations: in my computer room with the Adaptive Fast Charger (which came with my Note 4), in my bedroom with a standard wall charger (which came with my previous phone, a Galaxy S3), and in my car with an OEM car charger. I drive frequently for work, so I have had plenty of time using the car charger. Yesterday while driving with Navigate running, I noticed that my battery was draining faster than it was charging, which has never been an issue before. I rebooted the phone and force closed all other apps, but the problem persisted. When I got home from work, I plugged the phone into my Adaptive Fast Charger, and I saw that the "Fast Charging" notification that has always popped up never appeared, and the phone was clearly not fast charging, as it charged from 20% to 50% in about three hours, which is slower than it normally was without fast charging. During this time, I switched outlets and switched cables to try to solve the problem. Today, the problem persisted to and from work. I currently have it plugged into my standard (non-Adaptive) wall charger, and it is estimating 8 hours to charge from 20%, which, again, is much slower than it was charging before yesterday.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Fast charging not working/all other charging sources slower than normal.

How many months have you been draining the battery down to 20%? It doesn't take long, treating it like that, for it to be at end of life. Try making 40% your absolute minimum before you charge and you'll more than double the battery life. (Treat a lithium battery badly enough and you can totally kill it in a couple of months.)

May 26, 2015
Visit site

I very rarely let the battery drop below 40% before the charging issues started. Now that the phone charges slowly, I don't have enough time during the workday to keep it charged.

I had my Galaxy S3 for over two years with nearly the exact level of use as my Note 4, and I never had to replace the battery.

naira1

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Did you check if the fast charging mode is still enabled in setting?

You might also try a phone reset or get anther battery. Good thing it's not sealed in like the S6

May 26, 2015
Visit site

Yes, I have fast charging enabled. And yeah, I ordered a new battery, should be here the day after tomorrow. I'll try a factory reset if that's the last resort.

May 26, 2015
Visit site

About 10% every hour.

Edit: And that is with no use. If I am using the phone at all, such as browsing the internet, the battery drains faster than it charges.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Performed a factory reset, but that did not solve the problem.

Have you talked to Samsung? They will suggest sending your phone in. If I were you, I would ask, before sending it it, can they exchange my charger. They should say no problem and send you one out.

May 26, 2015
Visit site

I have talked to Samsung, and they have suggested sending my phone in. Unfortunately, they do not offer loaner phones, and I need a phone for work, so I am attempting to look for other solutions.

As for exchanging my charger, I have tried multiple chargers, including the fast charger of a friend who owns a Note 4, and I have had the same problem with all of them.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

I have talked to Samsung, and they have suggested sending my phone in. Unfortunately, they do not offer loaner phones, and I need a phone for work, so I am attempting to look for other solutions.

As for exchanging my charger, I have tried multiple chargers, including the fast charger of a friend who owns a Note 4, and I have had the same problem with all of them.

If you can't buy a cheap phone to use while yours is gone to Samsung, I would suggest switching it out under warranty under the carrier.

Are you in the US? If so, taking it to Best Buy Samsung Counter and letting them reflash your software might help. If you aren't, I would take it to a Samsung Store.

May 26, 2015
Visit site

Thanks Kelly, I did end up taking it to an AT&T Device Support Center, and after about 30 mins of attempting to find the problem, they replaced it, as they could not get it to connect to reflash the software. They said they think there might be a problem in the circuitry.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Thanks Kelly, I did end up taking it to an AT&T Device Support Center, and after about 30 mins of attempting to find the problem, they replaced it, as they could not get it to connect to reflash the software. They said they think there might be a problem in the circuitry.

Good you have a warranty center close. Most people don't, but I do also. Hopefully that takes care of the issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana