Truncated text and weird symbol from iPhone emoji?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone is experiencing this...

T-Mobile Note 4 here, kinda randomly gets truncated text messages from iPhone users when they mix emojis with their message. Haven't been able to pinpoint exactly which emoji triggers it, since it seems to be random, but I always get this weird stuff instead of whatever was meant to be before or after the emoji:

Ԁ͢Ȃ

Anyone else having issues? I know T-Mo is having buggy texting lately (duplicates, missing/delayed texts, etc.) but this one is a first, and I know it's always iPhone and it always happens when emojis are involved. Yet, it doesn't always happen :(

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I haven't seen it and the gf has an iPhone so we text often.

As Spook -- Is your area just having issues? I haven't had those issues on T-Mo so far.

Neo_ii_Droid

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
VzW SGN.IV w/VzW Messages here.

Quite a number of my friends/coworkers/relatives have and use iOS devices, but their SMS/MMS to me thus far have not turned out any strange symbols/icons. Emojis even come through fine. Will keep an eye out though.

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks!

It does seem to be random, and most of the time emojis come through fine, but whenever I see that symbol and a truncated message, when I ask the sender, there's always an emoji where the symbol is and the message got truncated. I've checked in Hangouts and stock messaging app and even Mighty Text on my computer and they all show the same.

So weird.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
So far? Stop texting iUsers haha (Sorry, had to take the shot).

But seriously, nope, the users I had the issue with still have that occasionally, so we've just moved on to using other IM methods, like Facebook Messenger or Whatsapp.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
For some reason it's not all iPhones. I have a work iPhone and I've tested it numerous times, even with the same message and emoji that triggered the error in another buddie's phone, and nothing. I can't get it to fail from mine. It's weird.

Matt Behnken

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
This happens to me and my wife very often. T-mobile and happened when i had att on gs6edge+. It's very annoying. Ive tried resetting APN settings, factory reset, cache wipe, app cache wipe, etc. It seems to me the phone is switching to unicode when it should be using gsm alphabet. Regardless, neither gsm nor auto mode keep the problem from happening. Always the sender is iphone but networks vary, att, T-mobile etc. Please help. Ive contacted tmobile and att, they dont know their *** from their elbows.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi Matt. I don't think this was ever 'resolved' but at least for me, it hasn't happened in a while. I do have a work iPhone and I try to send emoji texts to test whenever this topic 'revives' but I can't get it to show the truncated ones so far.
Does it look like the same symbol sequence appear or have you noticed a specific emoji or message content? I wonder if it happens when the Emoji is right at the very last of the message and it is 'split' because of the character limit...

Matt Behnken

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi Matt. I don't think this was ever 'resolved' but at least for me, it hasn't happened in a while. I do have a work iPhone and I try to send emoji texts to test whenever this topic 'revives' but I can't get it to show the truncated ones so far.
Does it look like the same symbol sequence appear or have you noticed a specific emoji or message content? I wonder if it happens when the Emoji is right at the very last of the message and it is 'split' because of the character limit...

Ya on my own i had thought the necessary requirements were verizon iphone to samsung note5 or gs6edge sms more than 70 characters and include emoji. I'll try to test today between ipad and note 5 but i would love a fix. Heres an example of my issue. Which doesnt end in emoji but alot of the time it does when it glitches out

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 1424.jpg
    1424.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 35

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully they'll get it sorted. Unfortunately, it seems, it's not just T-Mobile so not entirely sure is their 'fault'. But we'll see. Might be the iPhone/Android bug too, just in a different 'way'.

Manuella

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
Yes please help me. I get that symbol daily. Its so frustrating. Its only from one persons phone. I have the LG V10 and he has the
IPhone6. Drives us insane. What can we do?
Sometimes sending text twice works other times get the same symbol. Or I'll get the square with an X through it. Ridiculous.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately we haven't been able to isolate a solution. All we know is that the bug always involves an iPhone.

As for the squares with X in them, it's most likely caused by unsupported emoji rather than the symbols/truncated issue (remember, there are 'new' emojis available for iOS users but those aren't supported by other devices. I think Marshmallow added some if not most, but not certain on that).