5.1.1 Software update...

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I wish you people could make up your mind... some say Lollipop 5.1.1 is worse ever, some say best ever.
How is this helping anyone???

Different people, different priorities, different experiences. Even for a single person, the experience between different OEM builds based on Android will differ if they have multiple devices.

5.0.x was somewhere between bad and terrible on every device I've loaded it on. Nexus 7, Moto X 2014, Note 4, Galaxy S5. Across the board problems that were mitigated in all cases but not solved by a factory reset, which is a pain in the tuckus.

5.1.x has been pretty good on the couple of devices that have received it so far. At least on par with KitKat in my limited experience.

naira1

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes I think 5.1.1 is good enough. Have been using it now for a few days and it's way better than 5.0.1. It just perform better in terms of fluidity.
That being said my battery life is not as good though. Am getting about 1 hour less. At the moment am averaging 5 hours of SOT. I'll keep an eye on it and if it's not better might end up doing a factory reset ( which I didn't do after the update).

souls33k3r

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
I called up EE yesterday and asked them the same question, they told me to jog on and speak to Samsung because it's them who does it. When I spoken to Samsung, they told me that I need to speak to my network ... I mean SERIOUSLY? any who, according to this person in Samsung they have been testing the release of 5.1.1 in batches. First it was done for the newer S6 family devices, then comes the S5 and then Note 4 and according to this person the 5.1.1 might not even get released by the end of this year or first quarter of next year. But we all know how bull crap this is because people have already started to get them.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I called up EE yesterday and asked them the same question, they told me to jog on and speak to Samsung because it's them who does it. When I spoken to Samsung, they told me that I need to speak to my network ... I mean SERIOUSLY? any who, according to this person in Samsung they have been testing the release of 5.1.1 in batches. First it was done for the newer S6 family devices, then comes the S5 and then Note 4 and according to this person the 5.1.1 might not even get released by the end of this year or first quarter of next year. But we all know how bull crap this is because people have already started to get them.

It's all to do with what provider your phone is from as done customise Android and put their own bloatware it. Therefore they take their time in releasing the software.

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.

Last edited:

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I was reading an interesting article on why they are so late with updates.

....Sverdlove explained that 56 percent of Android phones in the marketplace are running versions of the Android operating system that are six months or more out of date, and that manufacturers such as Samsung, HTC, Motorola and LG often launch new phones with outmoded software out of the box. He also said they are slow to upgrade these phones to the latest and most secure versions of the operating system, and in some cases the manufacturers don't update the phones at all.

"It's a significant problem," he said. "The carriers are in the business of selling contracts. The manufacturers are in the business of selling phones. Neither of them is terribly incentivized to provide security on these phones."

Exactly. Once they have your $ they could give 2 blanks about you.

Posted via the Android Central App

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Some of the newer T-Mobile Note 4s come preinstalled with 5.1.1

I bought my Note 4 Thursday and it is a SM-N910T3.

-----------------------
My smartphones:
SM-N910T3
SM-N920T
SM-G900T
SGH-T999
I have what you have. Any issues? I have experienced random crashing issues while watching stream videos.

grimister

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I figure since the new iOS 9 came out this week that put the dampers on android getting any release for a while on AT&T. They will have enough going on with that and if they had released 5.1.1 in the same month they would have been swamped with user upgrade problem calls.

Crystal Michelle1

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
Every time I try to update my phone for software update it says "software update is temporarily unavailable. Try again later". Anyone figure out why it does this or how to get it to work? I am having trouble with my group messaging working with Straight Talk and was told updating would help. It used to work then woke up one day and it stopped. :confused: