When doing the 'Software Update' from UI 5.1 to UI 6.0... is it normal to have multiple' Software Update' 'download's & 'install's – if after 5mos?

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Apologies for this long read! 😳🫣

When doing the 'Software Update' from UI 5.1 to UI 6.0... is it normal to have multiple' Software Update' 'download's & 'install's – if you've gone 5 months without allowing the update?

My current scenario:

I decided to update from UI 5.1 to UI 6.0, yesterday, and when I did, my S23+ showed that it was busy doing the —UI 6.0— update, then install, then restart... but upon finishing... it kept wanting to do it over and over! - i.e. the 'Software Update' (w/the 'Later' & 'Download' button choice) kept coming back up, and reappearing.

And so I kept tapping on 'Download', and my S23+ kept recycling thru the whole process, I think a total of 3 or 4 more times. And now... it wants to keep doing it ! :unsure:
Showing these 3 versions remaining (with the first & third one duplicates):
Version: S916USQS2BXAD / S916UOYN2BXAD / S916USQS2BXAD ←(duplicate?)

Is this normal? Are the repeated, 3 or 4 so far, 'Software Update' dwnld's & installs – with these 3 remaining – likely due to me not allowing the 6.0 update to download... since October 2023? Hence there's several intermittent 'Software Updates'—all the ones that I haven't allowed—that need to download, like the 3 or 4 that already have, including these 3 additional ones listed above?

I'm currently at 'Baseband version': S916USQS2BWL7 . . . but again, the 'Software Update' is still showing in the notifications drop-down, and showing this:

Update information:
One UI version 6.0
Version: S916USQS2BXAD / S916UOYN2BXAD / S916USQS2BXAD
Size: 413.25 MB
Security patch level: February 1, 2024

Screenshot_20240309_130637_Software update.jpg
Screenshot_20240309_130434_Settings.jpg

Moreover, while doing so, my S23+'s 'Available memory' has already dropped from an avg. of 4.2GB remaining, to 3.7GB remaining! ☹️ While the 'Available storage' remaining dropped from 493GB down to 463GB !
I hate how 'updates' do that! :mad: Why don't they just replace what's already in the phone... with an equal sized 'update'??? Why do 'updates' have to continually rob phones of 'available' memory and storage?!?! And that's exactly why I wasn't going to update! :rolleyes: As the only thing that I've ever noticed, after every update I've ever done, since 2009, is that the phones become more bloated, with less memory & storage available, and what's worse, become incessantly slower!

And, will getting my S23+ back to approx 4.2GB of memory remaining, and approx 493GB of storage remaining.... be like a search for Unobtanium? :rolleyes:
Or will deleting some Samsung & Google apps, never used, possibly get those less encumbered #'s back?

I couldn't find a: 'Question and Rant' sub-forum ! :LOL:

Thanks for any & all explanations/clarifications.

Last edited:

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Yes it's very much normal for any app worth its salt. You are basically installing a changed (new) OS and a lot of apps need an update to function optimally.

Reactions: winmod21

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks rvbfan ! So it's normal for it to keep repeating the 'Software Update' over and over, like it's not taking, even though it's showing: One UI 6.0 - v.14 - 'Baseband version': S916USQS2BWL7 ?

And would 6 or 7 of those 'Software Updates' include the [ One UI 6.0 - Version: S916USQxxxxxx ]'s .... like I'm seeing, but with different [ v. S916USQxxxxxx ]'s?

Screenshot_20240309_132348.jpgScreenshot_20240309_132353.jpg

. . . Oh okay, I'm seeing that it was downloading all the successive firmware updates, with the v. S916USQS2BXAD still remaining to be dwnl'd. Thx for clarifying. ;)

Screenshot_20240309_133234.jpg

Last edited:

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
It looks like for some reason you're getting all your updates successively.
I haven't run a Samsung for about 3 years but usually they don't come one after the other like that. Could be that's how they are being pushed to you.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
It looks like for some reason you're getting all your updates successively.
I haven't run a Samsung for about 3 years but usually they don't come one after the other like that. Could be that's how they are being pushed to you.
Thx. That's what I was thinking/wondering !? ;) I just hope doing so isn't over-bloating it with firmware updates! More so than if I would've just let the updates come thru as they were initially pushed out.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I'd say that since you hadn't installed 6.0, that the monthly security patches hadn't installed. (Which I believe is normal with Samsung firmware releases)

Now that you have 6.0 installed, it's catching up with all the security patches since the 6.0 release.

It 'should be' back to normal after all the released security patches have been installed.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I'd say that since you hadn't installed 6.0, that the monthly security patches hadn't installed. (Which I believe is normal with Samsung firmware releases)

Now that you have 6.0 installed, it's catching up with all the security patches since the 6.0 release.

It 'should be' back to normal after all the released security patches have been installed.
Thanks BerryBubbles! That's what it's looking like. Preciate the feedback. ;-)

Reactions: BerryBubbles

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Agree that it will keep updating to you get the latest, if you want avoid that just use Odin to flash the latest firmware with Frija firmware tool
Thanks mustang ;-) Though probably too late since I already re-downloaded & installed 3 or 4 of the 'Software Update's a few days ago. With what looks like only 3 remaining/showing left to do, i.e.:
Update information:
One UI version 6.0

. . . unless you think it'd still be better to do the Frija, to keep from piling on more of the so-callled software update/firmware crap. :unsure:
Cuz I am not a Happy Camper ! :( . . . as I've already lost 1GB (that's right, an entire Gigabyte!) of available memory . . . all because I stupidly gave-in a couple days ago, after reading one of the incessant AC articles about 'the next update' this, and 'the next update' that, blah, blah, blah :rolleyes:, here on AC, which momentarily influenced me to think that I should probably go ahead and download the 6.0 update. :rolleyes:

But after doing so, I immediately dropped from 4.2GB [of memory] remaining to what is now showing as an average of: 3.2GB [of memory] remaining! ☹️

While the 'Available storage' remaining also dropped, from 493GB down to 465GB !

Anyways, I'll take a look at the Frija tool.
And perhaps I should root? :unsure:
Thanks again !;-)
Btw, where do you dwn'ld the Odin & Frija from? The first several paragraphs of the "odinflash .com" website is full of unintelligible gobbledygook English, like it's some kind of foreign, low class phishing scam! :rolleyes:

. . . but just found this: https://www.thecustomdroid.com/frija-tool-samsung-firmware-downloader/

Last edited:
Reactions: Laura Knotek

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi @winmod21,

You might want to try wiping your cache partition, if you haven’t already. That should help wipe away caches & junk files that might have hung around since the updates. Hopefully you might regain a little space back.
🤞
Thanks for that, BerryBubbles !=)) I did that a few weeks back, and might've forgotten to do it again; so thanks for the reminder !;-)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks mustang ;-) Though probably too late since I already re-downloaded & installed 3 or 4 of the 'Software Update's a few days ago. With what looks like only 3 remaining/showing left to do, i.e.:
Update information:
One UI version 6.0

. . . unless you think it'd still be better to do the Frija, to keep from piling on more of the so-callled software update/firmware crap. :unsure:
Cuz I am not a Happy Camper ! :( . . . as I've already lost 1GB (that's right, an entire Gigabyte!) of available memory . . . all because I stupidly gave-in a couple days ago, after reading one of the incessant AC articles about 'the next update' this, and 'the next update' that, blah, blah, blah :rolleyes:, here on AC, which momentarily influenced me to think that I should probably go ahead and download the 6.0 update. :rolleyes:

But after doing so, I immediately dropped from 4.2GB [of memory] remaining to what is now showing as an average of: 3.2GB [of memory] remaining!

While the 'Available storage' remaining also dropped, from 493GB down to 465GB !

Anyways, I'll take a look at the Frija tool.
And perhaps I should root? :unsure:
Thanks again !;-)
Btw, where do you dwn'ld the Odin & Frija from? The first several paragraphs of the "odinflash .com" website is full of unintelligible gobbledygook English, like it's some kind of foreign, low class phishing scam! :rolleyes:

. . . but just found this: https://www.thecustomdroid.com/frija-tool-samsung-firmware-downloader/
You can use from these sites

Always use the latest
You gave to be in download mode
Use a known good cable
When putting all 4 firmware from Frija tool into Odin if you don't want to factory reset use Home CSC
.use the latest version for both Odin and Frija

These are officially Samsung firmware from Samsung servers

I don't think you need to root but u can with Odin and if someone at XDA found a way as US version are harder to do since there bootloader not unlock

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
You can use from these sites

Always use the latest
You gave to be in download mode
Use a known good cable
When putting all 4 firmware from Frija tool into Odin if you don't want to factory reset use Home CSC
.use the latest version for both Odin and Frija

These are officially Samsung firmware from Samsung servers

I don't think you need to root but u can with Odin and if someone at XDA found a way as US version are harder to do since there bootloader not unlock
Thx ;-) Do I have to download Odin?

[On my PC ] . . I dwnl'd the latest Frija; unzipped it; dwnl'd the .NET Core 3.1 Desktop Runtime v3.1.21; opened Frija; dwnl'd the nec drivers . . . and I'm at the Frifa 'Auto Mode' right now, on the Frija tool, about to type-in: Version, Filename, OS and Size . . . after I just entered the Model# and CSC code and EMEI, and clicked on 'Auto', all per the instructions at:
. . . again, all only on my PC. I haven't connected phone to PC yet. But I need to download Odin first?

Btw, my S23+ w/Xfinity 'CSC' was 'OYN'

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thx ;-) Do I have to download Odin?

I'm dwnl'd the latest Frija; unzipped it; dwnl'd the .NET Core 3.1 Desktop Runtime v3.1.21; opened Frija; dwnl'd the nec drivers . . . and I'm at the Frifa 'Auto Mode' right now, on the Frija tool, about to type-in: Version, Filename, OS and Size . . . after I just entered the Model# and CSC code and EMEI.
Yeah download Odin and extract
Frija just use auto mode it will populate your device once connected and choose download firmware to your computer

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos