Note 4 super slow and buggy

Alex Wetzel

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Ditto. I'm chucking this note 4 and going for a 6s plus. I used to love android, but can't deal with the slowness and most of all the bluetooth skipping. This is such a major bug that Google has never taken seriously. It's so stupid! I've had to go back to kk and go through the stupid "debloater" process and ya basically bluetooth is ok, but then many other apps crash on a regular basis, probably because I'm not updating to lol-pop and then not receiving an updated app. I will miss the pen.. but basic usability is key. Ease of use is key. Stability is key. Google is underestimating how critical these "little" things are..

Posted via the Android Central App

Just get a nexus device they're much more reliable in terms of lag than an OEM phone at least for me.

M3Stang

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I have had iPhones since they came out. The note 4 is my first android phone and wanted to try something different. I was impressed at first but now I'm not. Continous lag and camera problems. Getting a 6s plus.

Thegreatone3

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Similar lag issues with the T-Mobile Note 4 after the 5.0.1 update. Camera, gallery, Twitter, and Candy Crush to name a few. I'm hoping the 5.1.1 or Marshmallow update will save the device but I may not be that patient. Will likely go with the next Nexus device or the 6S+.

Sent from my SM-N910T

scribe4food

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if there's any truth to Samsung putting a time delayed bug on there phones. Just kidding - slightly.

Joshua Winns

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
It could be the fact that Lollipop is completely buggy to begin with. Lollipop is so unstable, that's why I believe Google is rushing to push out android M. I don't think Samsung has anything to do with the lag. My friend has the Nexus 5 and complains about simular lag issues as well, since updating to 5.1.1.

Blacklac

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
If you have lag after updates, you'll just have to bite the bullet and reset the device. I'd personally scrap the backup and start over, but...

Honestly, if you're phone is so important you're afraid to wipe your devices or start over without a backup, you really shouldn't even perform OS updates. (Not aimed at anyone in particular).

Note 4 (5.0.1) and Nexus 7 (5.1.1) here. Neither have lag issues. Both have been through OS updates. 5.1.1 is by far the most stable Lollipop build, I'll wouldn't blame that build, probably something else going on. 5.0.2 was a disaster...

Fetter

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I've been having some pretty bad lag for the last week or two as well. Stock Note 4 5.1.1 running Nova Prime.

A friend of mine with the Note 4 has also been having the same issues for about the same amount of time. He's a stock Note 4 as well. My biggest gripe is how it is taking 4 or 5 seconds after I put in my password that my screen decides to unlock. It's been the most notable thing for me. I hope this gets fixed soon.

Jde2466

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Did you clear cache data (number 2 on my list)? It is different than wiping the cache partition.

I did clear cache data as well. Actually tried it first, the wiped cache partition and then full factory reset.

Jde2466

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
If you have lag after updates, you'll just have to bite the bullet and reset the device. I'd personally scrap the backup and start over, but...

Honestly, if you're phone is so important you're afraid to wipe your devices or start over without a backup, you really shouldn't even perform OS updates. (Not aimed at anyone in particular).

Note 4 (5.0.1) and Nexus 7 (5.1.1) here. Neither have lag issues. Both have been through OS updates. 5.1.1 is by far the most stable Lollipop build, I'll wouldn't blame that build, probably something else going on. 5.0.2 was a disaster...

I agree. I have a Nexus 7 and it is having no issues. The Note just started last week. But after 3 days of it and doing the clearing cache and a factory reset I had to do something. My old trusty Moto X is kicking good and they are sending me a new Note 4 so we will see how it is. I am going to the iPhone more so just because I like tech toys and want to check it out. I am not going away from Android by any means. I am interested in the new Nexus phone coming out too.

Reg Robinson

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Did you clear cache data (number 2 on my list)? It is different than wiping the cache partition.

I cleared the cached data per your instructions.I appreciate your insight. If the Note 4 can deliver on its promises then there's no other phone I'd rather use. We'll see...

Reg Robinson

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Muzzy996, thanks for taking time to help me resolve my Note 4 issues. After my phone crashed like Evel Knievel a couple of dozen time I got pretty fussy.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Muzzy996, thanks for taking time to help me resolve my Note 4 issues. After my phone crashed like Evel Knievel a couple of dozen time I got pretty fussy.

Not a problem.

I'm a tinkerer and I love to mess around with various modifications etc. I've had some experiences early on where certain software packages just weren't playing nice with certain kernels/drivers. Being that I'm not a programmer/developer it's not like I could ever go deeper than recognizing that something wasn't quite right after the installation of certain packages though. So most times I'd just give up on a particular culprit and find an alternative app that had less issues.

For a while I thought it was cool that Google was doing us a "favor" by having auto backup/restore features on our devices such that when I'd upgrade to a new device all my apps would seamlessly get installed after logging into my Gmail account during initial setup. I jumped ship from name brand manufacturers like HTC or Samsung to Nexus devices for a little bit during this time so I didn't have issues with doing factory resets and reinstalling things.

When I jumped back to a Samsung tablet and then the Note 4 it didn't take long for me to realize that while restoring everything worked great on my Nexus devices, if I let apps that weren't compatible with Samsung install I would have issues . . or that sometimes an application being restored was newer and less stable than one I used to use . . etc. In general my issues were with root applications but I still believe that there's a chance that standard non-root apps can have compatibility issues with other device variants that aren't strictly following what stock android has.

Devices like Nexus devices, Motorola or other developer edition models of phones are generally more stable since the deeper modifications that makers like Samsung, HTC or LG make aren't there.

The hard part is, stock sucks . . we all end up installing other applications . . so troubleshooting as we go along can be laborious and not feasible. I know all too well how hard it is to exercise restraint in the app store on a freshly reset device.

Last edited:

Jde2466

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Update: I received my new Note 4 under warranty yesterday and so far so good. Running like a champ. I only have about 90 apps on it right now but it's running very well. Hopefully it will stay this way.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Update: I received my new Note 4 under warranty yesterday and so far so good. Running like a champ. I only have about 90 apps on it right now but it's running very well. Hopefully it will stay this way.

Excellent! :cool:

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Just get a nexus device they're much more reliable in terms of lag than an OEM phone at least for me.

I'm actually looking at possibly switching from note 4 to a nexus. Just wondering if there is a new one coming out soon or is nexus 6 my best bet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Longhorn