BLUE downloading circle won't stop/go away - on Google Messages

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
  • S23+
  • messages.android_20240206_01_RC02.phone_samsung_dynamic
  • One UI 5.1 — Android 13 . . ( I know, I know :rolleyes:...but I'm running a top secret, highly classified, unofficial test — into whether or not upgrading is really necessary ! ) 😛

🔄 . . . In the Google Messages app, a busy blue circle has not stopped spinning for approx 24 hours, ever since my wife showed and then tried to text me a pic of what she thought was a groovy, artistic design for an outdoor fire pit — that she saw in her Pinterest feed.

I tried long-pressing; swyping right & left; restarting phone; clearing the Messages app cache - several times; force-stopped, twice, which doesn't seem to do anything; dis-allowed the re-allowed photo & video permissions; 'reset app permissions' - all to no avail, with Wi-Fi & mobile data both on. It won't delete.

Hmm, not seeing anyway to update the app . . :unsure:
Would uninstalling the app, then re-installing it from play store possibly get rid of the never-ending, spinning blue circle ?🤔
I guess I shouldn't be trying to assist anyone else with the Messages app, when mine is acting kookie haywire. 🫣

Has anyone had this issue, or have any ideas on how to remedy it?
— Thanks very much for any suggestions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Margiefaith2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Did you also try clearing the app data for the Messages app?

Is there anything in that message thread that is crucial to keep? If not, you could always delete that thread and then start a new one with your wife.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Did you also try clearing the app data for the Messages app?

Is there anything in that message thread that is crucial to keep? If not, you could always delete that thread and then start a new one with your wife.
Thanks very much, as always, B. Diddy , for your suggestions. :)

1) I didn't try clearing the app data, because it said "All of this application's data will be deleted permanently. This includes all files, settings, accounts, databases etc."
. . . so I wondered whaaaat? And hmmmm; I don't know if I want to do that! 🤔
2) Not really anything super crucial, I guess. Though she claims that ALL her posts are crucial ! ;) :LOL:

. . . Okay, I cleared the data, and Wow!... the spinning blue circle stopped! Now it's just the solid blue dot icon - with the dwnld arrow pointing down. Of which I just tapped . . . and that did it! It worked! 😎
I've got the pic!

B. Diddy, you are truly an Android Genius of a Senior Ambassador! —in my humble opinion! ;)
Thanks so much !

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Glad it helped! SMS messages are stored in a separate database, so clearing the app data for the Messages app doesn't touch that -- I believe it only clears account and settings info. But once you reopen the app, it resyncs with your account right away, and can access the saved messages in the database.

smcfarland76

Mar 7, 2024
Visit site
  • S23+
  • messages.android_20240206_01_RC02.phone_samsung_dynamic
  • One UI 5.1 — Android 13 . . ( I know, I know :rolleyes:...but I'm running a top secret, highly classified, unofficial test — into whether or not upgrading is really necessary ! ) 😛

🔄 . . . In the Google Messages app, a busy blue circle has not stopped spinning for approx 24 hours, ever since my wife showed and then tried to text me a pic of what she thought was a groovy, artistic design for an outdoor fire pit — that she saw in her Pinterest feed.

I tried long-pressing; swyping right & left; restarting phone; clearing the Messages app cache - several times; force-stopped, twice, which doesn't seem to do anything; dis-allowed the re-allowed photo & video permissions; 'reset app permissions' - all to no avail, with Wi-Fi & mobile data both on. It won't delete.

Hmm, not seeing anyway to update the app . . :unsure:
Would uninstalling the app, then re-installing it from play store possibly get rid of the never-ending, spinning blue circle ?🤔
I guess I shouldn't be trying to assist anyone else with the Messages app, when mine is acting kookie haywire. 🫣

Has anyone had this issue, or have any ideas on how to remedy it?
— Thanks very much for any suggestions.
Glad it helped! SMS messages are stored in a separate database, so clearing the app data for the Messages app doesn't touch that -- I believe it only clears account and settings info. But once you reopen the app, it resyncs with your account right away, and can access the saved messages in the database.
I have this issue right now. I got rid of it once and am researching it again. I'll share once I get the correct information in case you're still looking for a fix.

Reactions: Margiefaith2

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I have this issue right now. I got rid of it once and am researching it again. I'll share once I get the correct information in case you're still looking for a fix.
I keep periodically having this pop up. No rhyme or reason, just will notice the blue circle - has been from an iphone user each time I see it. Will eventually "download" and it goes away, but nothing ever comes through. 🤷‍♂️

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I keep periodically having this pop up. No rhyme or reason, just will notice the blue circle - has been from an iphone user each time I see it. Will eventually "download" and it goes away, but nothing ever comes through. 🤷‍♂️
When GMessages does the never-ending blue circle, in my S23+, the only thing that makes it stop is for me to go to Settings > Apps > Messages (Google) > and then tap 'Clear data'.
Which then makes the spinning blur circle change to a solid icon with a down arrow (⇩).

And though a few of mine have downloaded, most don't, and the one I had this morning, after acting busy, didn't download either, but said something like... "This message is no longer available" :unsure:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter