DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Tried searching. More confused now. There a root method for the Verizon Note 4? I need to install an ad blocker. Everything has ads and its annoying as hell...

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I agree! Have always used root to block ads (via AdAway), makes for such a more pleasant browsing experience. But so far root on the Verizon variant is only temporary (it's lost on a reboot). But there's a brand new report today at XDA Developers of permanent root: Samsung SM-N910V Galaxy Note 4 Verizon is Ro… | Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 | XDA Forums

It hasn't been confirmed yet (if it's real) or any actual instructions about how to do it, but keep an eye out over there. XDA is the best place for root info.

......and yet nothing for the AT&T Note 4? Is it only the Verizon version if it is true?

ajp8806

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Precisely why I bought the 910c, easily rooted and no locked bootloader. I'll never buy a carrier branded phone again.

Posted via the Android Central App

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Precisely why I bought the 910c, easily rooted and no locked bootloader. I'll never buy a carrier branded phone again.

Exactly why I've been looking at the Nexus 6P. I love my Note 4 and I don't usually root my phones, but I rooted my Note 10.1 tablet and like having that since there were no updates for it after awhile. I didn't like how Lollipop was forced on us, so wanted root just to be able to get out of having it downloaded to my phone.

Android is all about Choice, unlike the other fruit phones, so I don't like not being able to have control of the phone I buy and pay full retail for. AT&T has worked well for me, I didn't realize how locked down they are just like Verizon was. I have no choice though, have to go with what gives me the best plan, financially and works when I need it. I'm always looking for other options that may be better.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Android is all about Choice, unlike the other fruit phones, so I don't like not being able to have control of the phone I buy and pay full retail for. AT&T has worked well for me, I didn't realize how locked down they are just like Verizon was. I have no choice though, have to go with what gives me the best plan, financially and works when I need it. I'm always looking for other options that may be better.

You can pay full price for a T-Mobile phone and unlock it for use on at&t. It's not always straight forward but is still an option to explore. Love running a lollipop ROM on my T-Mobile variant note 4 with AT&T SIM. Been enjoying root since last December.

Bbeelzebub

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the VZW model and while I don't use any apps that have ads, I do equally hate ads in the browser. While I hate Chrome anyhow and I do like the Samsung default browser, I have found that Dolphin Browser w/ the adblocker extension and the flash extension gives me a pretty enjoyable ad free experience on the internet.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
You can pay full price for a T-Mobile phone and unlock it for use on at&t. It's not always straight forward but is still an option to explore. Love running a lollipop ROM on my T-Mobile variant note 4 with AT&T SIM. Been enjoying root since last December.

The Problem is, I already took a loss with my Verizon Note 4 to get the AT&T Note 4, back in February. I just got my AT&T N4 paid off and not going to go through the same thing again just for Root. Do you get full LTE all the time with your Tmobile N4 on AT&T? If I had known that option worked fully on AT&T, I would have saved a lot by buying the TMobile Note 4 back in February. Oh Well, hindsight is 20/20. Doesn't help me now.

Only way I'm selling my Note 4 is if I decide to get another phone and I'm looking at the Nexus 6p, but want to wait until it's been out a little while first. I would hate to give up this phone, because I love the stylus, so it's not really something I want to rush out and do. I have that itch right now, trying to stop from making an impulsive buy on another phone which may not be worth it. This phone does so much, but I know I can do other things with root also. It would be nice to be able to get a phone without the Carrier ties to it. It's a tough decision for me.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
The Problem is, I already took a loss with my Verizon Note 4 to get the AT&T Note 4, back in February. I just got my AT&T N4 paid off and not going to go through the same thing again just for Root. Do you get full LTE all the time with your Tmobile N4 on AT&T? If I had known that option worked fully on AT&T, I would have saved a lot by buying the TMobile Note 4 back in February. Oh Well, hindsight is 20/20. Doesn't help me now.

Only way I'm selling my Note 4 is if I decide to get another phone and I'm looking at the Nexus 6p, but want to wait until it's been out a little while first. I would hate to give up this phone, because I love the stylus, so it's not really something I want to rush out and do. I have that itch right now, trying to stop from making an impulsive buy on another phone which may not be worth it. This phone does so much, but I know I can do other things with root also. It would be nice to be able to get a phone without the Carrier ties to it. It's a tough decision for me.

Yup I get full LTE on band 2. The band coverage that the radios support isn't completely the same between the variants but it works perfectly in Hawaii for sure.

Totally understand the dilemma. If you intend to stick with AT&T keep the compatibility between networks in mind and verify the band coverage for the next device you're looking to buy. Use something like LTE Discovery app on your current phone to see what band you're currently using.

AT&T has been locking boot loaders for a while now, I love my android devices and refuse to buy a locked bootloader phone. The Note 4 on AT&T and Verizon have shown that the days of assuming permanent root is possible on any device are gone. It'd be a sad day when all other carriers follow suit. As such I always look for proof of root prior to buying a device.

teejay69

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see a need to root the Note 4. I'm very happy with it as is. I did allot of rooting on my Palm Pre, but Android has come a long way. I'm running 5.1.1 on Sprint.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see a need to root the Note 4. I'm very happy with it as is. I did allot of rooting on my Palm Pre, but Android has come a long way. I'm running 5.1.1 on Sprint.

If you're not missing it then no, you're not missing something.

There's a ton of things that can be done after rooting, and those like me who can't live without it are often the type who love to continually tinker and improve upon the experience of using our devices. Most don't want to have to spend the time. I can't convince you that root is a must have anymore than you could convince me that I could live without it.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
As I said, I never really rooted any phones before, but losing the capability is something I don't like either. I really didn't want lollipop, but it was downloaded to my phone anyways. So root could have helped me with stopping that.

Like a lot of others, I thought the phone was fine on Kit Kat. I also had problems with my phone after that update, which I had to get a warranty replacement for my original one. Now working fine with the new replacement.

Root and Gnabo Rom brought new life back into my Galaxy Note 10.1 (2012) tablet when Samsung decided not to update it any more. So Root does have it's advantages. My tablet is over 3 yrs. old now and still running like a champ. :)

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
What ROM are you running on your Note 10.1?

Gnabo ROM. Gives the Note pro multi-window and the S-Pen Air Command. I love it, only problem is that it stays on after I plug it in to charge overnight. I just turn off in the morning, so no big deal. Works well enough for me. Since no new Note Tablet coming out it seems this year, I'm hoping it lasts until this time next year.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Verizon is not rootable as of today, 11-2-15.

This just sucks. I'm starting to hate the fact that I spent so much on this phone, which Is why I don't want to sell or trade for a loss. Probably would be lucky to get half of what I paid for it, if that.

Oh Well, my next phone will have to be unlocked or do the Tmobile route, depending on how much they want for a N6 if it is a good phone next year. Otherwise, more and more I'm leaning toward the Nexus devices. Just hope pure android is not boring.

Rocko

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
This just sucks. I'm starting to hate the fact that I spent so much on this phone, which Is why I don't want to sell or trade for a loss. Probably would be lucky to get half of what I paid for it, if that.

Oh Well, my next phone will have to be unlocked or do the Tmobile route, depending on how much they want for a N6 if it is a good phone next year. Otherwise, more and more I'm leaning toward the Nexus devices. Just hope pure android is not boring.

I would do pure android for sure. You can put some cool launchers on it.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't see the point rooting!!

For many it's control.

Good example for me is GMD Gesture Control. With it I can create custom gestures that will launch apps or shortcuts. Typical YouTube videos I've seen showing what GMD Gesture Control does out of the box don't do it justice IMO. One needs to sit down with it and create their own gestures to truly get an appreciation for it.

For me it's an absolute MUST HAVE. With it, one handed operation of my phone is a breeze for most anything because I have a ton of gestures setup from the bottom and left/right edges of the screen. Examples of gestures I have programmed include:

• Launching Google Now using a straight up swipe from bottom center edge of screen;
  • ALT-TAB between apps using diagonal up swipes from bottom center edge of screen;
  • BACK key command using diagonal down swipes from left/right edge of screen;
  • HOME key command using diagonal down/up swipe from left/right edge of screen;
  • Launching Chrome, Calculator, Calendar, TV Remote Control app using different shaped swipes from the right edge of screen;

All of these things I can do from within any application and all executed with my right or left thumb while holding the device in one hand. This one app makes the app switcher button, home button and back button practically obsolete and really makes using the device easier with one hand by minimizing how far my thumb has to move to initiate common tasks.

Additional gestures I use with my second hand include 5 finger pinch to force kill an app, 4 finger swipes left/right to cycle through all apps in the recent apps list, 3 finger clockwise rotation on the screen to jump into my clock/alarm/stopwatch app, and 2 finger gestures in the shapes of letters for various apps like S for Skitch, N for S-Notes, E for Evernote and a lovely figure 8 for my Starbucks app.

Imagine using your device with gestures to launch things rather than having to look for buttons/icons to press . .

That's just one root app adding all of that functionality . . add on other things like Titanium Backup for app/data backup or freezing/defrosting apps on the fly, or Tasker to automate tasks and things get even better.

Some examples of how I use tasker include:

• Warn me of bluetooth device connections being established with a high pitched audible alert;
  • Upon Bluetooth connection to my car, set music and alert volumes to a specific level, auto start Google Play Music and resume music playback;
  • Upon plugging in a headset, set music level volume down (so i don't blow my ear drums out by mistake);
  • When connected to my car's Bluetooth, read out loud all incoming texts;
  • Automatically turn the phone in/out of silent mode at night, but ONLY when at home otherwise don't change volumes when away from home.

Last edited:

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have my T-Mobile Note 4 and Note Edge rooted so that I can use Adaway to block ads in apps and in anything else I do on these devices. Everything Android and iOS that I own is rooted/jailbroken now.

I will never EVER own another device that I can't root to do things that I can do now.