02-17-2018 05:19 AM
152 ... 34567
tools
    Same here, a few days ago it wouldn't go five minutes without crashing but I've just had two days clear. I installed a wake lock app, used standard launcher, uninstalled a bunch of apps I don't use much, and not risked turning it off. I don't know why it's now stable, though still laggy at times but glad it is. I'm travelling and I've wasted hours the last week sitting in cafes pulling the battery and rebooting just to get to look at maps or check messages. Seriously annoying!!! Lesson learnt, I'll take a spare phone next time. I'll put things back to normal when I get home and try to figure out what's caused the problems.
    12-16-2016 06:23 AM
    I got the same message about the "Downloading... Do not turn off target!!".
    01-02-2017 12:42 AM
    This is the error that my mother-in-law has been getting on the phone since I gave it to her and she's upgraded to Marshmallow.

Took it to a Sprint store and they had to send it off and I should be getting it back in 5 days or they're going to replace it with something else or repair it.

01-05-2017 01:58 AM
    Hey guys I had the same issues as many of you...Note 4 would lag, freeze, crash and restart multiple times a day. I tried the Wake Lock app suggestion (the one by "darken"), set it to "Partial Wake Lock" and all my issues have been gone since. I've had it running for about a week. So I'd highly recommend giving this app a try first, before taking further measures. Don't know why it works, but it's doing the job for me. So happy to have my phone back!
    Nitro Light likes this.
    01-17-2017 04:24 PM
    I tried this as well, and no reboots occured for about 24 hours. Then the reboots started back up, much more severe this time.
    01-17-2017 05:50 PM
    You can add my Note 4 to the list. Back in May 2016 i purchased 2 note 4's used on ebay, each one had the same exact issue. Battery % would drop suddenly from like 30 to 15 then shut down or sometimes you could be at 40 and it suddenly shuts down. Bought a new Samsung battery as well as an anker, same thing. I then decided to buy a new Note 4 in june after returning those 2. Fast forward to last week, SAME ISSUE! !!!!!

Purchased new batteries again, cleared cache, factory reset, tried the wakelock app and same cr@p! I loved this fone but this shut down issue is no joke. I am no longer using my note 4 as its completely unreliable; had to go with an old Blu fone. Think i may just sell it for parts on ebay and buy another brand. My faith in samsung is gone after having been a loyal customer for many years.

Anyone here know of any good replacements for a note 4? One thats android based. I was thinking about the LG V10 but LGs boot loop issues scare me.
    lilsunsprite likes this.
    01-17-2017 08:17 PM
    You can add my Note 4 to the list. Back in May 2016 i purchased 2 note 4's used on ebay, each one had the same exact issue. Battery % would drop suddenly from like 30 to 15 then shut down or sometimes you could be at 40 and it suddenly shuts down. Bought a new Samsung battery as well as an anker, same thing. I then decided to buy a new Note 4 in june after returning those 2. Fast forward to last week, SAME ISSUE! !!!!!

Purchased new batteries again, cleared cache, factory reset, tried the wakelock app and same cr@p! I loved this fone but this shut down issue is no joke. I am no longer using my note 4 as its completely unreliable; had to go with an old Blu fone. Think i may just sell it for parts on ebay and buy another brand. My faith in samsung is gone after having been a loyal customer for many years.

Anyone here know of any good replacements for a note 4? One thats android based. I was thinking about the LG V10 but LGs boot loop issues scare me.
    I recently replaced my Note 4 with an S7 Edge and love it. The improved LTE performance alone was enough to justify the upgrade. Plus, it does not have the irritating Bluetooth audio skip problem that my Note 4 does. Gave the Note 4 to my wife to use as a WiFi-only media device (music, books, etc.).
    01-18-2017 10:47 AM
    Thanks for the recommendation! The Note 4 was my perfect phone until this happened. Sucks to have to make the change after only 7 months. 0_o
    01-18-2017 10:50 AM
    Just wanted to share a possible solution for those who are about to throw their sprint note 4 against the wall.
    In the last 2-3 weeks since Marshmallow upgrade my note has been shutting down ,freezing up and restarting at least 10-15 times a day.
    Even after a factory reset and emptying my gallery.
    Tonight while again searching for a needle in the haystack solution I came across this suggestion.

Disable/force stop the Look Out app.
    As soon as I did this I noticed an immediate change in the function of my Note 4. My old phone is back and I am very happy. Thank you to whoever dicovered this, hopefully I can pay it forward before people toss their Note 4's
    Don
    LowIQ likes this.
    01-24-2017 08:36 PM
    This Marshmallow update has been the worst update since the Froyo of many years ago
    I'm certainly no novice when it comes to Android, but this last update made me feel like I was...

We can certainly blame both Google and Samsung for all the problems encountered.
    01-25-2017 02:28 AM
    That's not really a fix, but a patch?
    I didn't have a problem with LookOut?
    But I did with Facebook app in when I had disabled it the same fix was had....
    I finally had enough to when I called T-Mobile to ask a replacement phone be given
    I did pay a monthly fee for insurance after all?...
    The replacement phone did not have all the problems encountered.
    It already had Marshmellow loaded on it.
    01-25-2017 02:36 AM
    Is there a manufacture date that is not affected by this defect? Or are all Note 4 affected?
    01-27-2017 11:03 AM
    Is there a manufacture date that is not affected by this defect? Or are all Note 4 affected?
    A lot, perhaps, but not all. I've had mine for 2+ years and haven't had an issue.
    01-27-2017 11:09 AM
    So, how does one go about picking a Note 4 not affected by this reboot?
    01-27-2017 11:10 AM
    So, how does one go about picking a Note 4 not affected by this reboot?
    There is no way to tell other than through actual usage.
    01-27-2017 11:13 AM
    If that's true, then I have to rule it out from the list of purchases.

I was hoping there would be an updated version. Perhaps it's called Note 6 or something similar.
    01-27-2017 12:34 PM
    If that's true, then I have to rule it out from the list of purchases.

I was hoping there would be an updated version. Perhaps it's called Note 6 or something similar.
    The Note 7 is hot

The Note 8 is apparently coming out later this year. Do you need/want a phone with a stylus?
    01-27-2017 01:16 PM
    Only reason I got a Note 4 is because of the ability to stick in ZeroLemon 10,000 mAh cell that Note 5, 6, 7 lack. If the NOte 8 has that ability, it's a winner, if not, a stupendously dumb move.
    02-05-2017 10:35 PM
    I've had this problem happen to me a few months ago. I originally had a Verizon Note 4, but our family switched to T-mobile because the representative said everything will be a breeze and that all will work well. Welp he lied! Signals were much slower and I could no longer get/send multimedia messages ever since the switch. For school I really needed some group messaging functionality so I went on craigslist to trade someone for a t mobile version. Everything was well until a recent 6.0.1 update. One day out of nowhere the phone would lag then start to reboot itself. It would eventually go into the odin mode as many people have already mentioned. At first I thought the craigslist user rooted the device and ruined it, but after checking that it wasn't rooted I knew it was a problem with the OS update... T mobile tech said it could be a virus that's within the OS?? I think it's something with Samsung screwing up, though. The only solution was to get the phone replaced under warranty... Only issue was no one could help me replace the device since I was not the original owner of the device. I thought I would have to spend a lot of money until my friend told me about "wakelock" app on the play store. Ever since I got it none of the random reboots would occur again. It doesn't link all the time, but once you get it right it prevents the phone from rebooting as long as the phone remains powered on. Hope this helps even if it's a temporary solution. It's the only one yet if you can't replace it. I'll be waiting for the note 8 since once you go stylus you can't go back!
    02-18-2017 01:02 PM
    If you're having the issue where your Note 4 randomly shuts off or when the screen goes to sleep it won't turn back on unless you remove the battery, then there is a solution. Install the app "Wake Lock" from the play store. It will prevent your CPU from shutting down when in sleep mode or ever dipping too low in power that it shuts off the phone. Your battery will only be marginally affected but its better to have less battery time (maybe 1 -2 hours less) then a dead phone.

I've been having this issue with my Note 4 as has my mom who got the Note 4 at the same time I did. It seems because of the issues with the Note 5-7 many people (for the first time) have been holding on to their Note 4's. Because many of us have been using them for so long we are witnessing the true limitations of the phone, and it is very disappointing.

Wake Lock does not require a root, it's free, no ad's and works for any carrier Note 4. So far it's the only thing that has made my phone work. Even after replacing the battery and reformatting my SD Card and phone. When you look at the comments for Wake Lock in the play store you'll see almost everyone is about people who had issues with their Note 4 and using this to fix it. The instructions for using Wake Lock are:

1. Download Wakelock from Play store (on your phone):
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...arken.wl&hl=en
    2. Open app and click on Partial_Wake_Lock should show a #4 meter
    3. Make sure to open options up on app (hold the bottom left sensor button on your phone when the app is open) and check autostart on boot and notification just in case.

You can read the whole thread about it from people having the same issue here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/not...t3434335/page6
    Robert Tarver and huntnyc like this.
    03-27-2017 10:07 PM
    I tried this but was told the warranty is void due to a 3mm crack on camera lens, absolutely ridiculous excuse. Going to try with Vodafone but back on my note 2 for now.

Is everybody else getting the 'Downloading, do not turn off target?'.

I did notice it works better on charge, has anyone had luck replacing the battery.
    I have gotten that TWICE now. I have also gotten the MMC READ FAILURE screen as well. I do not have a SD card in my note 4. It is randomly shutting down/locking up. I have to remove the battery and reinstall it then boot up to get my phone working again. Sometimes these requires 2 or 3 tries.
    03-29-2017 04:20 PM
    Ive had these issues with no SD card at all, is anyone else?
    Same here.
    03-29-2017 04:21 PM
    I have the lag and restarting issue after upgrading to 6.01, marshmallow. Note 4 on Sprint.

I think disabling these 4 apps helped:

Lookout
    S voice
    Samsung Milk Music
    Samsung +
    THINK?!?!?
    03-29-2017 04:28 PM
    3.. This is not explained well.
    When the app is open, LONG PRESS the "recent apps" button, which is to the left of the home button.
    A 2 button menu bar will open from the bottom.
    The left button is "Options". The right button is "About"
    press "Options"
    Check "Autostart on boot
    Check "Notification"
    Press "Back" button
    Press "Back" button again.
    03-29-2017 06:51 PM
    03-29-2017 07:02 PM
152 ... 34567