SPECIFIC Issues with Note 4 post Marshmallow update

sinfoman

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
Hello all! I have 3 specific issues post-MM update that I would like help with. This thread is specific to POST FACTORY RESET issues on STABLE PHONES.
1) SD Card notification after reboot. Yes. I know I have an SD card inserted. I don't need to be told every few days. It hasn't changed.
Items Tried: SD Card full format changed from notifications:eek:ften to notifications:eek:nlyAfterReboot.
2) On Body Detection. Before the update, On Body worked like a charm. Afterwards, works hardly ever. Figure the issue is something like "Device stores information about what it considers to be "on body" which the new update isn't reading.
3) Fingerprint reader for Android Pay. Android Pay before:swipeFingerForResults. Android Pay after:mustUsePassword. This is flipping annoying to put in every time just to buy a pack of gum at the local gas n' go.​
I realize none of these issues are necessarily Sprint related (except perhaps the SD Card issue), but wanted to float them to see if any other users had similar problems/solutions.

EDIT: I just noticed another "bug." 4) My fast charger only seems to work sometimes. It rarely ever works on first plugin. I have found that if I unplug and immediately replug (the battery screen must stay on, if it goes to black, the fast charge rarely ever starts) the fastcharge fires. Stock Samsung wall charger. Almost invariably charge my phone while it's off.

Last edited:

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I can help you with #1. You will have that notification on reboot every time. Samsung baked that into the marshmallow update. It's a Samsung thing. I have no idea on #2 or #3

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Hello all! I have 3 specific issues post-MM update that I would like help with. This thread is specific to POST FACTORY RESET issues on STABLE PHONES.
1) SD Card notification after reboot. Yes. I know I have an SD card inserted. I don't need to be told every few days. It hasn't changed.There is an option to change the way you want your device to use the SD card: a) it can be used as "internal memory or b) external memory to be removed at users will and used to copy images and files to other devices. Make the selection and the popup will go away
Items Tried: SD Card full format changed from notifications:eek:ften to notifications:eek:nlyAfterReboot.
2) On Body Detection. Before the update, On Body worked like a charm. Afterwards, works hardly ever. Figure the issue is something like "Device stores information about what it considers to be "on body" which the new update isn't reading.
3) Fingerprint reader for Android Pay. Android Pay before:swipeFingerForResults. Android Pay after:mustUsePassword. This is flipping annoying to put in every time just to buy a pack of gum at the local gas n' go.​
I realize none of these issues are necessarily Sprint related (except perhaps the SD Card issue), but wanted to float them to see if any other users had similar problems/solutions.

sinfoman

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
I can help you with #1. You will have that notification on reboot every time. Samsung baked that into the marshmallow update. It's a Samsung thing. I have no idea on #2 or #3

Can I "DIS-Like" this? Bummer. That's an EASY fix, too. Let's hope they come out with it in a future update/Security update.

Last edited:

sinfoman

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
Another step taken to eliminate #3 failed: Turn off Fingerprint lock and try to turn on Android pay, thus forcing it to turn the lock on. This effectively restarted the app, but still didn't make AP an administrator (AP should be an admin. Big shout out to Lynn at Android support- she turned me on to the device administrator problem). I'll keep plugging...

amoo001

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
i have been facing some issues with the marshmallow update for note 4. After the update i can not see and action buttons on the notification bar and when i go to settings there i can not see any action buttons
Screenshot_2016-04-15-17-19-50.jpg
Screenshot_2016-04-15-17-20-36.jpg

sinfoman

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
i have been facing some issues with the marshmallow update for note 4. After the update i can not see and action buttons on the notification bar and when i go to settings there i can not see any action buttons
View attachment 224661
View attachment 224662

One thing I notice above is you still have the "update Successful" flag. Have you restarted your phone since the update (presumably)? If not do so. See if that fixes the problem. If it does not, try turning the phone off and clearing the cache (Up volume/Home Key/Start, select Clear cache). Restart. If that doesn't fix the issue, try a factory reset (same instructions as for cache). All that said EVERY time I do an update (especially a major one to the OS like this one), I FR my phone. You'll thank me... I also found this article: http://thedroidguy.com/2016/04/samsung-galaxy-note-4-slow-marshmallow-update-related-issues-1058399 which agrees with me.

Last edited:

sinfoman

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
Suspect on-body detection uses the proximity sensor to determine "on-body." And something in the update turned that off. Just a thought. Anyone?

kmarx

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
My issues,
The SD Card Notification
In S-Finder - They removed formula match (Wolfram Alpha).
Cant use the fingerprint reader for many things, it wants my backup password

sinfoman

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
My issues,
The SD Card Notification
In S-Finder - They removed formula match (Wolfram Alpha).
Cant use the fingerprint reader for many things, it wants my backup password

Yup- suspect it is the same for my Android Pay above (FP reader). Not familiar with formula match. Expand, please?

sinfoman

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
New update from Sprint (PD1) OTA today. Fixed on body detection (I think, I'll give it a few days to be sure) but neither of the other two. One out of three ain't bad...

Posted via the Android Central App on my marshmallowy Note 4

sinfoman

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
Well, On-Body detection after living with it for a few days does seem to be working, but their algorithm seems to be more "err on the side of caution" than it was before. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but does create more unlocks required. Now if only the password for Android Pay would go the F away... :'(

sinfoman

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
For giggles, I thought I would post my review and the subsequent response (or lack thereof) from Google. I OCR'd this from a screen print and don't have time to proof it, but it looks verbatim at a glance:

ME: Not sure what changed? 5.x, ability to use
fingerprint swipe for security. 6.0.1, ALWAYS asks
me for password. Annoying when I'm just trying
to "Tap. Pay. Done." Currently it's "tap. Fiddle with
password. Pay (sometimes). Go." LOVE this app-
HATE lack of fingerprint support after MM update.
Fix this issue and I'll change back to 5 stars. I
am an Android device admin for my job. I have
performed a factory reset, the app is up to date.
I have ininstalled/reinstalled 3 different times.
Lynn at Android pay support suggested it had
something to do with Device Admin (AP doesn't
show there). HELP! I want to use this app!

Reply from Google Inc. on 4/14/16
Hi Robbie, thanks for the feedback! Android Pay
support for fingerprint launched with Android
OS 6.0. Users on earlier versions of the OS, who
have setup fingerprint, will still be prompted
to use an alternative unlock. To use fingerprint
with Android Pay, you'll need to upgrade to
Marshmallow. Hope this helps!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member