When I upgraded my Note 4 to the S7 Edge, I reset the Note 4 and set it up for my partner to use. It was running ok until a little while ago when it started to freeze regularly, reboot randomly as well become sluggish to use which result in it being difficult to answer calls and generally use. The problems are not constant, in that the phone seems to run well for periods in between the issues.

I tried taking the microsd card out to see if that helped, but no joy.

Uninstalled some apps.

Other things I have tried were to clear the cache and dalvik cache. No change.

Replaced the battery, no change.

Also updated the OS to MM 6.0.1. It was running 6.0, but that hasn't helped.

The only thing I haven't tried is a full reset.

Besides that step, is there anything anyone else can recommend to try please?

Thanks for any help.
    11-03-2017 07:07 PM
    Does it ever have these issues in Safe Mode? https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-28897. If not, then something your partner installed is causing the instability. You'd have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem goes away.
    11-03-2017 08:44 PM
    Does it ever have these issues in Safe Mode? https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-28897. If not, then something your partner installed is causing the instability. You'd have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem goes away.
    Thanks for the reply B Diddy.

Tried Safe Mode and after a while, the phone rebooted to download mode with an error:
    ddi: mmc_read failed.

It seems this is a common bug on Note 4s and most probably down to an issue with an update.

It's no longer under warranty and even if it was, Samsung wouldn't help as the phone has been rooted before.

I've seen suggestions about replacing the motherboard but that looks to be a hassle and there's no guarantee the replacement motherboard will work, or be without any other issues.

Looks like the missus is going to get a new phone.

If anyone can think of anything else to try, I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks again.
    11-04-2017 01:46 PM
    How did you update from 6.0 to 6.0.1? Was it an official system update pushed over-the-air, or did you use Smart Switch?

If this is happening in Safe Mode, even after installing a system update, then I'd guess it's actually a hardware problem, likely with the motherboard. If it were a software problem related to something you installed, it shouldn't happen in Safe Mode. If it were a corrupt firmware, the system update to 6.0.1 should have fixed that.
    Nick_1020 likes this.
    11-04-2017 05:36 PM
    Yes, I used Smart Switch to upgrade.

At first I was thinking it was probably a hardware error as my missus has dropped a few phones in the last few years, but reading other forums, it seems many Note 4 users are having the same problem after updating.

I have made some progress though. Advice on a few forums suggests to install an app called Wake Lock. As a result, the phone seems a lot more stable. It hasn't frozen or rebooted which is excellent news as the freezing was frequent.

It definitely looks like a software issue and considering how many Note 4 users are affected, I think Samsung should be doing more to try to resolve it.

Thanks again for the help 😀
    11-05-2017 05:06 PM
    Why should they? They want to sell their new phones.
    11-06-2017 05:09 AM
    Why should they? They want to sell their new phones.
    That is certainly true, but they should surely have a responsibility to rectify issues which seem to be their fault.

After all, the same customers affected by this fault are potential future customers as well as being existing customers.
    11-06-2017 07:38 AM
    Well, as long as they can get away with it, they won't admit that it's their fault.
    11-06-2017 07:45 AM
    Also true
    11-06-2017 07:46 AM
    Had the same issue with my Note 4. I send my Note 4 into Samsung on 11/3/2017 and Samsung went over my Note 4 and they got back to me. I told them that the last 2 updates caused my Note 4 major problems. All the problems that everyone else is having. After several calls to Samsung wanted me to pay for the repair to my phone. The ticket stated that a "SOFTWARE REFRESH" needed to be done. My last call to Samsung on 11/8/2017 I was told by the customer service representative that my Note 4 needed a software refresh. That the technician had to replace the screen, battery and motherboard. I told him that there was nothing wrong with my Note 4 until those last 2 upgrades. The CSR told me that the software was not compatible with the software. They wanted me to pay $70.31 to have the phone repaired for their error.

It took me 3 and more phone calls to Samsung to the Service Department for them to say yes it is a software problem. Samsung wants you to pay them to fix your phone that they broke with those software updates.

They need to be sued for this.

They want you to purchase their new phone.

They know the Note 4 is one of the better phones they made and they need to get rid of them so they put out this software update in 2 parts to wreck your Note 4.

Class action lawsuit sounds like a good idea.
    Nick_1020 and bootlooped like this.
    11-09-2017 01:38 PM
    Try the WakeLock app Michelle as it may help.

My partner's Note 4 hasn't frozen or rebooted at all since I installed it. She was so frustrated using the phone with the issues as it was difficult to take calls, send messages, use apps etc, but she says it's like a new phone now.

Samsung are unlikely to rush to fix the issue so it may help in the meantime
    11-09-2017 03:33 PM
    When I upgraded my Note 4 to the S7 Edge, I reset the Note 4 and set it up for my partner to use. It was running ok until a little while ago when it started to freeze regularly, reboot randomly as well become sluggish to use which result in it being difficult to answer calls and generally use. The problems are not constant, in that the phone seems to run well for periods in between the issues.

I tried taking the microsd card out to see if that helped, but no joy.

Uninstalled some apps.

Other things I have tried were to clear the cache and dalvik cache. No change.

Replaced the battery, no change.

Also updated the OS to MM 6.0.1. It was running 6.0, but that hasn't helped.

The only thing I haven't tried is a full reset.

Besides that step, is there anything anyone else can recommend to try please?

Thanks for any help.
    Hardware is dying, it's a common issue. Best to sell it while it still works a little bit.
    11-13-2017 09:36 PM
    The phone has been fine with the third party app installed.

Kinda goes some way to prove the hardware is still in working order.

Prior to installing the WakeLock app, I would've agreed that it was a hardware issue, but hardware issues don't suddenly disappear when an app is installed, unless there's a poorly written driver involved.

Samsung have definitely screwed the Note 4 up. Whether that is deliberate or not, I can't say. However, it would be interesting to find out if any other of their devices have suddenly found a similar fate of failing at the same time...ignoring the Note 7 of course which seemed to be doomed from the outset.

If there is precedent, that should give weight to the class action lawsuit. If there isn't, it's worthy of further investigation considering the number of users affected by the issue.
    huntnyc likes this.
    12-06-2017 07:13 PM