Note 5 - Official Specs and First Hands On

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Official Specs and first hands on

Here is a snip from the Article for quick reference.

Attachments

• specs.png
    specs.png
    47.1 KB · Views: 257

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

Androidcentral reporting that Note 5 WILL NOT go on sale in the UK in 2015

Thats very very surprising if true.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Looks like they said August 21st will be the release date. Pre-orders start today at 3 PM.

Paravoz

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site

They didn't even mention battery size and talked about fast wireless charging...

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Apparently (for now anyway) no 128GB model and just 32GB and 64GB. Media fans need to embrace the cloud!!! Or get an OTG adapter to both keep track of and deal with lack of media integration, since Android does not integrate the OTG path stably like sd. Key reason people have problems with the sd card case for the S6.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy Note 5 + S6 Edge Plus impressions from the Unpacked keynote!

So, here are my initial first impressions of the two devices from the keynote alone.

Galaxy Note 5
  • Looks nice. But the glass design might make it a bit fragile.
  • That clicky S Pen is going to be a pleasure to click. You have no idea how much I love clicking my ball-pen
  • 4GB of LPDDR4. Sounds beastly, but let's see if they have sorted out that RAM management
  • Fast Wireless Charging. 0-100% in 120 minutes.
  • That keyboard cover looks kinda tacky.
  • Not digging those new TouchWiz icons, but ehh, they have themes, so I can live with it.
  • Writing a note while the screen is off is AWESOME!
  • Still no bigger battery so far. :(

Galaxy S6 Edge+
  • Looks gorgeous, like the standard S6E.
  • The silver color option is actually my favorite
  • Apps edge. Finally. Should've been there from the get-go.
  • Still not digging the new TW icons, but it has themes, so it's fine with me.
  • Fast wireless charging.

And that's all for now.

Okay, there's one thing I don't particularly like about the keynote. What they said about other manufacturers making "wall-huggers". Yeah, they should learn how to put a bigger battery before making fun of others.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 5 + S6 Edge Plus impressions from the Unpacked keynote!

And, HOLY COW! That Gear S2 came right out of nowhere!

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

I would miss my IR blaster, It's great for being in a restaurant that has a tv too loud or playing something obnoxious. I use an off line map app that takes a lot of space, and it works fine on the removable SD card. If I am on the boat, there are no networks so I can't use a map app that gets it's maps off the network, and again I don't want to take up all the available space on map data. I hear that after the operating system and bloatware on the stock phone, you are down to about 25 gb on a 32 gb phone. I will likely get a Note 4 when they get marked down, or look for another option. I love my Note 3, and if they put the options I personally need back in the phone on the next one I would come back. Verizon has now gone to no subsidized phones, so the full $800 price will be what one pays to replace it in a couple years when the battery degrades, or pay someone to take it apart and swap it out.

That said, I wish all the new owners well. I hope it performs well for you and you really enjoy your new smart devices. They do so much for me in my life, I just can't call them a phone any more.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I would miss my IR blaster, It's great for being in a restaurant that has a tv too loud or playing something obnoxious. I use an off line map app that takes a lot of space, and it works fine on the removable SD card. If I am on the boat, there are no networks so I can't use a map app that gets it's maps off the network, and again I don't want to take up all the available space on map data. I hear that after the operating system and bloatware on the stock phone, you are down to about 25 gb on a 32 gb phone. I will likely get a Note 4 when they get marked down, or look for another option. I love my Note 3, and if they put the options I personally need back in the phone on the next one I would come back. Verizon has now gone to no subsidized phones, so the full $800 price will be what one pays to replace it in a couple years when the battery degrades, or pay someone to take it apart and swap it out.

That said, I wish all the new owners well. I hope it performs well for you and you really enjoy your new smart devices. They do so much for me in my life, I just can't call them a phone any more.

If the Moto X Pure is not good, sticking with the Note 4 is more than fine IMO :)

Must admit the Moto X Pure would have to be REALLY good, since luv my over two day battery life with medium and heavy use with the 8000mah battery. Package Disabler kills all the Samsung bloat so no power wasted with Samsung's infinite wisdom of bloat.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

So, here are my initial first impressions of the two devices from the keynote alone.

Galaxy Note 5
  • Looks nice. But the glass design might make it a bit fragile.
  • That clicky S Pen is going to be a pleasure to click. You have no idea how much I love clicking my ball-pen
  • 4GB of LPDDR4. Sounds beastly, but let's see if they have sorted out that RAM management
  • Fast Wireless Charging. 0-100% in 120 minutes.
  • That keyboard cover looks kinda tacky.
  • Not digging those new TouchWiz icons, but ehh, they have themes, so I can live with it.
  • Writing a note while the screen is off is AWESOME!
  • Still no bigger battery so far. :(

And that's all for now.

Okay, there's one thing I don't particularly like about the keynote. What they said about other manufacturers making "wall-huggers". Yeah, they should learn how to put a bigger battery before making fun of others.

Yup I actually like the off screen writing too!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Yup I actually like the off screen writing too!

It's awesome, but unfortunately, that 64GB of storage MAX is going to be a deal-breaker for me.

I am a very heavy media consumer, and even 64GB is too small for me. If there was a reasonably priced 128GB option, and 64GB was the base, I'd be fine. But there isn't, and that's why I'm not fine with it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

It's awesome, but unfortunately, that 64GB of storage MAX is going to be a deal-breaker for me.

I am a very heavy media consumer, and even 64GB is too small for me. If there was a reasonably priced 128GB option, and 64GB was the base, I'd be fine. But there isn't, and that's why I'm not fine with it.

I was shocked when I saw only 32/64. I would have thought they would release a 128 GB version since they did on the S6 / S6 Edge.