Note 5 - Official Specs and First Hands On

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
LOOOOOOOL, so confirmed no external storage or removable battery. Fine.
But 64GB max internal storage? 3000 mAh battery? it's a larger S6 with the S-Pen.

they shouldn't even sell the S6 or the Note IMO. Just the S6 Edge and Edge+, then they can truly be the the "Apple" of Android.

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Or worse, jumped the shark. Happy Days started that one when the star character jumped a shark on an episode, which was the beginning of the end of the series. To this day "jumped the shark" is used for something that did something that caused it's eventual demise.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
You'll all buy it when it comes down to it. ....
Just like tia Apple Boys
Lol true in Most Cases
I'd put money on it. ... I think lol

Posted via the Android Central App

not sure why you think that. unlike apple there's a lot to choose from with android, not to mention some really promising phones on the horizon. personally, my days of $600 phones and bloatware are over, so I'll be either grabbing the Pure or one of the Nexus phones, maybe both!

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
There really wasn't much different between the Galaxy Note 4 and the Galaxy S5 except for the Pen and S5 being water resistant, so difference between the two is still not too much distinctive, both were made from the same material, and looked the same from the front

The S and Note lines have always shared some similarities and/or borrowed from one another from iteration to iteration. But not to the degree we see now where the S6 and Note 5 have virtually the same frame, glass back and internals with the only real difference being their overall size and the S-Pen. :(

Also, in your comparison above you may be thinking of the Note 3 compared to the S5; both have a faux chrome frame (aka plastic) with ridged/ribbed sides and rounded corners. Whereas the Note 4 has an actual metal frame with flat painted sides, sharper corners and chamfered bare metal edges all around the front and back of the frame. It's quite unique in that no other Samsung device has had a frame like it before or since. :)

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Me thinks G4 and Note 4 will see a sales spike and Moto X Pure could really do well. Just not convinced Motorola's supply chain is up to the task anymore for high demand. Especially after Lenovo is zapping 25% of that workforce. What dumb [language removed] timing for layoffs on the eve of their best opportunity in years to gain decent share.

The resulting disruption and distraction are hardly the things you want thrown into a big launch. Lenovo might regret this apparently short sighted decision.

w7sg

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
iPhone users stick with Apple due to the ecosystem and being used to and committed to iTunes. Android users tend to not be that way. A lot of people like the Note series due to the very features that have been removed now. Those people will move on to other options and are not part of any Samsung ecosystem (Samtunes?). Not apples to Apples ;)

I started with the 1st iPhone, up to the 4. Then to the Note 3. What a relief! But had to trade it off because the GPS blew. I'm using the Apple now, trying like everything to like the Note 5. The iPhone is BORING. Hoping Samsung fixed the GPS. I want a snappy brute with excellent battery life. I for one will be watching closely. I sure like the looks of the Edge +. Sleek, different & some really nice cases for it. Lets see what the users say over the next few weeks. :)

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I read through all three pages and no one has said it.
No micro SD Slot, No removeable Battery, No IR Blaster, NO BUY! LOL

OK, all kidding aside, here are the attributes that I see.

PROS:
Improved finger scanner (same as the S6),
writing on the screen with the phone off,
new solid build similar to the S6 and
The Camera with OIS.

Unknowns:
battery life, performance,

Cons:
already mentioned it above.

Will you upgrade?
As for me I will not. I'm sitting this one out and hoping that Samsung has a change of heart next year.
Until then, I will be using my Note 4 with my 2 extra batteries and 128GB micro SD card :)

I

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Me thinks G4 and Note 4 will see a sales spike and Moto X Pure could really do well. Just not convinced Motorola's supply chain is up to the task anymore for high demand. Especially after Lenovo is zapping 25% of that workforce. What dumb [language removed] timing for layoffs on the eve of their best opportunity in years to gain decent share.

The resulting disruption and distraction are hardly the things you want thrown into a big launch. Lenovo might regret this apparently short sighted decision.

Where will the spike come from? If anything the S-series now has an answer to the LG G4 with the S6 edge plus. If your a happy note 1, 2, 3 user looking to upgrade to another Note I just can't see passing on the Note 5 and grabbing a Note 4. I love my Note 4 but I wouldn't do that. The only reason would be for cost. Even that's a stretch for me.

I'm not entirely thrilled with some of the Note 5 changes however, it will be a more than capable device with decent sales. I think.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
A lot of the hands-on reviews have been pretty positive about the Note 5.
Personally, I think Samsung will still make a good amount of sales with the Note 5

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Many a user will sadly be blinded by the bling....lol! Justifying a lackluster device with many options removed is beyond any reason, logic and comprehension, IMHO.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes but it was all shiny and nice and comes in its own box, and those nice people on stage said it will be good, I think.
They didn't show why, but it's Samsung - who put people before profit.

They are the company who listen.
They know what they're talking about, sort of.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Official Specs and first hands on

What about battery life ..could you specify that please. i am planning to buy an s6/note5

Nobody can give you an accurate answer yet. Only someone who's used the device normally for a week or 2 would be able to provide a useful response to this. I suspect the tech sites' reviews might provide some insight once the embargos are lifted. They usually get the devices earlier than consumers...

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
There really wasn't much different between the Galaxy Note 4 and the Galaxy S5 except for the Pen and S5 being water resistant, so difference between the two is still not too much distinctive, both were made from the same material, and looked the same from the front

I'd say that a 32GB GN4 vs a 16GB GS5 is a huge difference. I'm a pretty light user, but my 32GB GS4 has under 15GB free on internal storage and I keep all my data (no apps) on my SD card. OTOH, IP67 specs trump no weather proofing specs.

The killer N5 specs to me would have included IP68 certification plus keeping the IR blaster and removable SD card and battery. I'll take that plastic construction with those specs any day. Shucks, I'll take that plastic construction over glass regardless of the specs. It's all covered with a case anyway. ;)

dcstuntman

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
RAW image capable for you photogs out there! This will be a top feature for some (me!)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hoped they would have added this for the Lollipop builds of prev gens like the Note3, but it didn't happen. Raw image size would be a good use for an SD card too... even if you capture to internal, you could off load to a nice big card.....

I was hoping they would do the RAW capture, but with what they took away its not worth it.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Here are my full-on first thoughts.

*INCOMING WALL-O'-TEXT*

Honestly, I think it's another device from Samsung that will polarize users. Like the Galaxy S6 that it is based on, the Note 5 does away with the microSD expansion slot and removable battery and in their place is ultrafast UFS 2.0 storage that's available in 32GB base and 64GB max and a sealed 3000mAh battery. Many Note users I know are users of the replaceable battery and SD card slot, so the removal of those 2 did disappoint them.

As for what I think, I think Samsung might be in for a bit of a challenge here. I am a relatively heavy media consumer, so large amounts of storage and battery life matter to me. The Galaxy Note 4 was one device that met my criteria as it had easily expandable storage that didn't cost so much and also had a large battery that can be swapped for another one if it goes bad or if I just want a quick top-up of power. The Note 5, unfortunately, doesn't have both. That might not be so bad for you, depending on your usage, but to me, the biggest pet-peeve for me is how the Note 5's maximum storage option is 64GB. For me, that's a bit too small, so I was surprised that there was no 128GB option. The battery is also one that will confuse some consumers as it's 220mAh smaller than the one on the Note 4, but from early tests, it seems to last as long as the Note 4, which is no bad thing, but I'm just a little disappointed that they went with the "thinner phone" route. Removal of the IR blaster is also pretty shocking to me, but Samsung probably thought that very few people used it.

Cons aside, the phone seems to be a beast, packing the same E7420 from the S6 that delivers quite a punch and 4GB of LPDDR4 should make it a multitasking champ, once Samsung sorts out the RAM management. The QHD SAMOLED display should deliver a great viewing experience and that S Pen just keeps getting better. Funny, though, that my favorite feature on the entire phone is actually the clicking-mechanism on the S Pen itself. :p
It also looks good, though I think glass isn't suitable for phones due to its fragility but I guess they needed it for wireless charging.

Final thoughts. I think it really boils down to your usage. For me, I'm not going with the Note 5 because I'm a heavy media consumer and thus, I'll need large amounts of storage. The cloud doesn't count because I travel often and my data is capped at 4GB/month. That's not enough for what I do on my phone. Many long-time Note users may be upset over the loss of the 2 features that has been in every Note until the Note 4, but if SD cards and removable batteries (and IR blasters) don't mean anything to you, but you really want the latest that Samsung has to offer and the S Pen, then the Galaxy Note 5 is for you.

For me, I'm perfectly contempt with my LG G4 but I'll also be looking at the Galaxy Note 4 as a work phone.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
One possible solution for heavy media consumption users would be to offload the media to a wireless drive. I have a. Seagate wireless drive that is great for streaming video from.

Downside is it doesn't integrate to the phone. Basically instead of syncing content from plex now right to my phone I would have to use my desktop to move content right from my server to the Seagate drive. I actually would prefer to use sync in plex though. Plex is the center for all of my video stuff. It is foolish to make this more complicated then it needs to be. I stream were I can but have also synced content on occasion when I have run into bandwidth issues so I could stream right from my phone.

I don't think I would care about the SD card if they gave me at least the same capacity I could get with it as I can without. Maybe it is a tech problem but I think the capacities should have been 64GB, 128GB, 256Gb.

It is hard to believe my old note 3 can have 160 GB of storage, but I can't get more then 64 GB in the newest phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
RAW image capable for you photogs out there! This will be a top feature for some (me!)

RAW image files also mean bigger image files. Bigger image files plus no expandable storage? They are going the wrong way. 64 GB should have been the base model. By just making this one change, Samsung would have a few more people interested. That, and having a bigger battery than the Note 4.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe